The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

scott kirkpatrick

There's a new meme making the rounds over at RFF: Sean's review of this lens is wrong because:

1)His testing methods are sloppy

...(snip)...

My question about the lens is this: are we seeing a few lemons or does it have a fundamental design flaw?
I disagree with #1, no comment on the rest of the "points" made. I don't always agree with the steps he follows, but he is explicit about what he is doing, he controls for things like illumination color temperature, and he is clearly careful enough so that his lens-to-lens comparisons have held up.

The MaggieO lab work on this lens (that was you, wasn't it? So long ago...) was quite sufficient to show that the CV35/1.4 offers curvature of field and focus shift, even though she didn't get the focus perfect at f/1.4 and I think used the same focus settings at the smaller apertures. That test got all four corners equally sharp, which indicates that the back of the camera was parallel to the target wall.

Read the Chris Weeks stream of consciousness review and I can see where the lens has appeal -- for dramatic effect that may not be for everyone. My M2 with its 1950s lenses (Canon 35/2 was the primary one) had the characteristic that any exposed light sources in the forward half sphere would contribute a lovely overall glow to the pictures. The CV35/1.4 instead gives impressive local flare and ghosting with intriguing shapes. So it is a step ahead of my Canon 35/2.0, but so would a pre-asph 35 Summilux have been. That is probably the proper comparison.

scott

PS -- In some of the comments after the Weeks blog article I detected a self-incriminating tone of dismissal that I haven't heard since high school -- jocks vs the college-bound geeks. And best ignored.

Last edited:

Maggie O

Here's the thread.

Tom A seems to be getting very good results from his copies of the Nokton. So, maybe it's more of a problem with Q/C than a design flaw? He's using them on an M4, I think.

Maggie O

PS -- In some of the comments after the Weeks blog article I detected a self-incriminating tone of dismissal that I haven't heard since high school -- jocks vs the college-bound geeks.
Well, Chris' writing seems to be designed to inflame, so the responses really didn't surprise me.

Oh, and yeah- I did the focus shift (with soup cans) and brick wall test shots.

scott kirkpatrick

Maggie O in the viper pit (rff blog): I don't have a film M-mount camera, nor do I know anyone within 1200 miles who owns one.
I'll volunteer. I have an M2 coming back from Sherry Krauter in a few weeks. Would love to try the CV35/1.4 on it.

scott

S

Sean_Reid

Too bad! I've been on the road all day (still am till later tonight) but I imagine someone must have tried to pull that thread into the toilet. Its a shame because there was some very good info in it and a good discussion between Tom A and myself. Bummer...

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

Stephen Gandy explained that the original poster deleted the thread, FWIW.

Yeah, it's a shame it's gone.

Maggie O

When this lens is on, it really does nicely.

Showdown, February, 2008

M8, Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4 @ somewhere between f2 and f2.8 (IIRC), ISO 1250.

helenhill

When this lens is on, it really does nicely.

Showdown, February, 2008

M8, Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4 @ somewhere between f2 and f2.8 (IIRC), ISO 1250.
BRILLIANT MAGPIE!!!
Your work reminds me of "Good' advertising campaigns
Cheers! helen:clap:

H

Haya

Maggie i love the images you have taken with the nokton I would be very satisfied with the purchase too!

I have just purchased a 35mm f1.2 nokton myself as well as a 15mm Heliar as I have been eyeing both those lenses since I bought my M8 a year ago

The only reason I didn't go for the 1.4 Nokton is I really wanted the faster lens and I'm trying to appease my Noctilux cravings.

I cannot get that lens out of my mind, I seriously think about it at least 3 times a day! I just can't justify the price tag :(

Maggie O

Thanks, Haya! (and welcome!)

I came to the conclusion that the Nokton Classic is kind of like an Alfa Romeo- it's a bit dodgy mechanically and you have to adjust to its way of doing things, but at the end of the day it's just so much fun and so full of character that you wind up loving it anyway. Even of you do think about selling it every other day.

The big f1.2 Nokton looks like an awesome lens and I was mightily tempted by it, but the Ultron 28mm is about as big a lens as I'm comfortable with on my M8, so I was really jazzed when the f1.4 was announced.

S

Sean_Reid

Maggie i love the images you have taken with the nokton I would be very satisfied with the purchase too!

I have just purchased a 35mm f1.2 nokton myself as well as a 15mm Heliar as I have been eyeing both those lenses since I bought my M8 a year ago

The only reason I didn't go for the 1.4 Nokton is I really wanted the faster lens and I'm trying to appease my Noctilux cravings.

I cannot get that lens out of my mind, I seriously think about it at least 3 times a day! I just can't justify the price tag :(
That 1.2 is an excellent lens with virtually no detectable focus shift.

Cheers,

Sean

H

Haya

Yes Sean, your first 35mm review totally sold me on the lens I dunno why it took me so long to place the order, I knew I was going to buy it and the 15mm before I even got my hands on the M8 ;)

LJL

Haya,
Welcome to a great community. Glad you are on board!

The CV 35/1.2 Nokton was the first lens I used on my M8 and I still enjoy it very much. Sean's review is what got me into it also. I did succumb to the 50/1.0 Noctilux siren, and that has become my most used lens to date. I love it wide open, and I also love how it handles stopped down also. It has a bit of reputation for arriving with some backfocus problems, but they are easily fixed if needed.

I was really looking forward to the CV 35/1.4 Nokton when folks here first started to talk about it, and I do like the much smaller size, but the 35/1.2 Nokton is still hard to beat for the images it draws. I think of it as my slightly "wider" Noctilux, and given the sensor crop compensation, it essentially is pretty close to a Noctilux on a film body.

I also got the CV 15/4.5 and have fixed it (coding and filter) to work on the M8. Still one of the best deals going for the images it produces. It is a bit slow, and I find shooting it around f6.3-8 to be about ideal.

You have a couple of gems....now, just find a way to snag a Noctilux.....at least for a couple weeks shooting. You will love what it does also.

LJ