The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35/1.4

H

Haya

68mm .... I doubt I'll find one that size ... I better start looking on line !

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
On that note, does anyone have a suggestion about what to do about the backfocusing issue? I'd really like to be able to be reasonably sure of wide-open focus. When I get it right, this lens makes gorgeous photos.
Maggie,
My Noctilux was backfocusing when I got it from Leica. Instead of sending it to Leica under warranty, I chose to send it to DAG (Don Goldberg). It cost me $135 to have it calibrated and shipped back. I could then focus right on at f/1. I think it is worth the money to have these tools spot on. I also sent my 75 lux to Don, and now it is perfect.

scott kirkpatrick

Maggie, this is going to sound boring, but it won't take that long. First find out just where your lens focuses at the center at f/1.4, f/2.8, f/5.6. The quickest way is to mark up a piece of lined note paper, by drawing a nice dark vertical line from top to bottom, and drawing large arrows from each side pointing at the very middle of the paper. Put the paper down on a flat surface and shoot down at a 30 to 45 degree angle from about two meters away The arrows are where you want to focus, and you can place the rangefinder crossing very accurately.

Then you just shoot two tries focusing carefully on the arrows at each f-stop, and see how the center of the sharpest focus region differs from where the rangefinder thinks it should be. And how that point moves as you stop down. If the error is constant at all f-stops, except fior a shift (and softening) at f/1.4, you could get the lens adjusted to focus at all apertures except wide open, and correct by a constant percentage at f/1.4. If the piece of paper is big enough, you can also see how the position of sharpest focus changes at the edges of the field (field curvature).

This may seem like adapting to the lens rather than making the lens do what you want, but at least you will know what it is doing.

scott

Maggie O

Well, Sean is going to be testing my lens and depending on what he finds, I may send it on to DAG or go with Scott's idea.

Here's a photo @ f1.4 here the focus is spot-on:

Normally, that bear is in my mom's room, but Bob brought it down to me the other night and presented it as a gift, right at my feet. He was so proud of his "kill."

Maggie O

MnS, hunting:

The Nokton Classic MC, ISO160, somewhere between f1.7 and f2.8. Look how sharp the cat's whiskers and hairs are. Nice bokeh, too. IMNSHO.

M

Michael Rivers

I just received the 35mm 1.4 SC from Stephen Gandy and had some fun today in Burlington, VT. I bought the lens for B&W, but enjoy the color renditions as well.

35mm Flicker Set

Maggie O

My Amp, April, 2008

The Nokton Classic, wide open on the M8. It could probably serve as a self-portrait!

S

Sean_Reid

Wake up Maggie, I think I've got something to say to you.

I ain't gonna work with Maggie's lens no more.

<G>! Sorry...couldn't resist. Door prize for the correct identification of both lines.

------

Seriously, thanks for the test lens. So far, it looks like its performing just like the other two samples I tested. I'll test Woody's lens next but I think we can start give the sample variation question a little less weight with this CV 35/1.4. Four samples are only four samples but if all four show the same performance then I believe we have a bit of a trend. People may have to accept that this lens is what it is, pros and cons and all. Of course, for decades people have been doing outstanding work with lenses that were not technically stellar.

BTW, Maggie, you are the most thorough packer I have ever seen. I thought I was extra careful when I packed but I am not in your league. And you even sent an extra filter just in case - very classy.

Woody, your lens arrived in one piece as well but you and I are just ordinary packers compared to Maggie.

Best,

Sean

Maggie O

Ref. 1: "Maggie Mae," most famously sung by Rod "Frightful Scottish Fright Wig Scot's Hair" Stewart

Ref. 2: "Maggie's Farm," most famously written and sung by Bob "Frightful Minnesota Jewro Hair" Zimmerman, nee Dylan.

Interesting initial results, Sean. I look forward to reading a more complete report.

I figured that since the filter lives on the lens anyways, why not send it along?

Oh, and I have a confession. I got a ringer to pack the lens! A packing and shipping pro! (though I did once do a stint as the packing and shipping person at a robotics company) I have to admit that I've come to like that odd little lens, warts and all, so I wanted to make sure it arrived in good kit.

And now a photo from said lens, just because:

Shot @ f1.4, BTW. Extra points for identifying the books sitting under my "Oh look, it's The Doctor's 'Clever Speccs' glasses." (sadly, the photo on the desk is not one of my own, as my family seems to actively dislike my work)

S

Sean_Reid

I expected no less. Of course you know the great Maggie songs. But I didn't know that Dylan took on his stage name after marrying Joan Baez?! <G> (And after his stint as "Bobby V" in his own imagination).

I'm crashing and burning on the book ID.

More later...amazing packing...talk of the studio....<G>

Cheers,

Sean

woodyspedden

I expected no less. Of course you know the great Maggie songs. But I didn't know that Dylan took on his stage name after marrying Joan Baez?! <G> (And after his stint as "Bobby V" in his own imagination).

I'm crashing and burning on the book ID.

More later...amazing packing...talk of the studio....<G>

Cheers,

Sean
You know Sean as I read all of this I realize that I am primarily a mid-distance shooter and usually shoot at 5.6 or so. Perhaps my lens has the problem and I just don't see it based on the type of shooting I do. It will be interesting to see if, like all the others, my lens shows the same problem

Woody

S

Sean_Reid

You know Sean as I read all of this I realize that I am primarily a mid-distance shooter and usually shoot at 5.6 or so. Perhaps my lens has the problem and I just don't see it based on the type of shooting I do. It will be interesting to see if, like all the others, my lens shows the same problem

Woody
Hiya Woody,

We'll know tomorrow.

Best,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Again Woody,

Well, the good news is that your example of the lens is as good as any I've tested (better than some). The bad news is that it still behaves like the first two.

I don't think its sample variation we're dealing with, I think its just the way that lens model is.

Details at 11:00 (or sooner <G>).

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Woody
Right, mid-distance at F/5.6 or F/8 and the lens should be fine.

Cheers,

Sean