The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Texan writes on The Leica M8.2 Experience

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
David Lykes Keenan of Austin writes in The Digital Journalist on his experience with the Leica M8.2 and why he thinks it is a worthy successor to the film M's.

He also shares my finding the Nocton 35/1.2 is a killer single lens to use on it.

Full article

I should not have read this. It makes me want to get an 8.2 to pair with the 8.

beamon

David did an honest and fair write-up, imho. Good post of it John.

I came late to the party and bought the 8.2 without any 8 experience, so I don't know, first hand, what the sound of the 8's shutter is like. With my background being in M film bodies, I shudder to think what the shutter must sound like on the 8. :D I was spared!

David does the proper criticism of the "S" mode. That should be banished from the dial on the M9 (if and when it comes along) and if it's at all possible the 1/8000 sec. shutter speed reinstated. I bet I can explain to a newbie how to use the 8.2 in its aperture preferred mode quicker than I can explain what goes on in that %^#% "S" mode.

helenhill

John.
Do YOU have any pixs done w/ the nokton 1.2
Does seem like CV's BEST lens...except for the size

Cheers- H

monza

Last time David came by the store, he said the 35/1.2 was pretty much permanently attached to his M8.2.

doug

Keenan's blatant factual errors and his over-the-top assumptions about Leica's product planning and engineering motivations spoil the credibility of this work for me. IMHO he makes far too much of the differences. Personal taste is one thing but but to imply as Keenan has in the past that those who like the M8 are mere slaves to the red dot leaves a foul taste in my mind for his opinions.

monza

"My comments on what happened next in various Internet forums in the months following Photokina made me a very, very unpopular person. "

Looks like nothing has changed!