The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

21-Elmarit - New Dilemma

PeterA

The 21mm Elmarit - is an awesome lens on the M8 it holds its own very well, and I compare its performance to my Schneider lenses on Alpa and digi back. On the DMR the 19 is probably the sweetest lens I have ever used in wide angle for 35mm.

Nikon are all the rage at the moment - I will stick with my old tech 1dsmk11 for when I need auto focus. if Nikon made a 50 1.2 or 80 1.2 I would consider the switch. Re their wide zooms - I dont use CaNikon zooms - thats why I bought the two best zooms ever made by Leica in the mid end from Woody.

The more you guys shoot wide - the more you will eventually decide to buy a digiback and an Alpa - simple really - just expensive:salute:

mauribix

Hello Folks!
Now I've got my silver 21!...Kurt, you know it well!:D
And here is a bit OT question for Guy, and all of you living in Arizona/California/Nevada:
I'm gonna travel this August for a month across these states, and i would like to travel as light as i can, i guess I'd go for a 4 lenses set, but i'd prefer to go with 3, so would you consider the 21(on an M8) a not so wide lens for the kind of situations you're gonna face in your country?
I'd like to travel with a 21-35-50 kit, but i know that i would maybe miss my CV12 or CV15, and maybe a 90, but a 5 lens kit is just something that i can't bear...

Thanks to you all for your answers, i know that this sounds like a " wow i have all of these lenses, and i wanted you to know!", but finally i like and use all of my lenses, so this is really something that needs your help to me!
Nothing concerning a "vulgar display of power"!

P.S.
I did my first selection tryin' to exclude contrasty lenses because of the strong sunny days, but I'm still uncertain...

Best Regards

Maurizio

www.mauriziobeucci.com

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Still like the 12mm in the mix. So 12,21,35 and maybe a 75 or 90. Not three just can't wrap my brain around three but if i was forced with burning sticks at my head than it would be 21,35,75 or 21,28,50. The math just does not woirk for me have to go 4. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jonoslack

Hello Folks!
Now I've got my silver 21!...Kurt, you know it well!:D
And here is a bit OT question for Guy, and all of you living in Arizona/California/Nevada:
I'm gonna travel this August for a month across these states, and i would like to travel as light as i can, i guess I'd go for a 4 lenses set, but i'd prefer to go with 3, so would you consider the 21(on an M8) a not so wide lens for the kind of situations you're gonna face in your country?
I'd like to travel with a 21-35-50 kit, but i know that i would maybe miss my CV12 or CV15, and maybe a 90, but a 5 lens kit is just something that i can't bear...

Thanks to you all for your answers, i know that this sounds like a " wow i have all of these lenses, and i wanted you to know!", but finally i like and use all of my lenses, so this is really something that needs your help to me!
Nothing concerning a "vulgar display of power"!

P.S.
I did my first selection tryin' to exclude contrasty lenses because of the strong sunny days, but I'm still uncertain...

Best Regards

Maurizio

www.mauriziobeucci.com
HI Maurizio
I agree with Guy - you can't do 3 lenses . . . . having said that, I did Crete in September with 3 lenses:

South Western Crete with 3 lenses (just to irritate Maurizio)

but it was:
Wate
Mate
75mm 'cron

A good mix as the 'cron works almost as a macro lens.

On the other hand, your CV12 or CV15 weigh almost nothing and take up no space.
How about:
12 / 21 / 35 / 75 (or 90) You'd get it all in a Small Hadley bag from Billingham, and hardly know you were carrying it!

D

Digital Dude

Well, as you know I’m working the 3-lens arrangement of 28/50/21 with the 75-cron as my 4th. However, after playing with my new silver 50-lux, I've been reconsidering the firing order. Perhaps the 75 would see more use than the 21 for the short term while allowing more time for any September news to unfold.
Regards,:talk028:

Maggie O

I went to Europe with all of my lenses (at the time).

A 21mm Color-Skopar and a 35mm Ultron.

It worked out just fine.

etrigan63

My current lens kit is 21-40-50 (Zeiss, CV, Zeiss). The Zeiss glass is most excellent and the CV Nokton is quite the keeper. The only thing that may dislodge the 40mm is the new Zeiss 35mm Biogon and that really depends on its bokeh.

BTW, my CV 25mm f/4 & CV 75mm f/2.5 are going up for sale.

mauribix

Now most of the set should be clear to me:

12 + 21 + 35....

Now i like the fingerprint of the 50lux (and i use it often alone or tegether with the 35), and still I have a nice 90 f2.8 ... Maybe i should buy the 75cron as my "tele" (foollowing your suggestions), and leave both at home?....Another dilemma

By the way, thank to you all guys, (lovely series Jonathan:clap:), this forum looks like really something useful and pleasant!
My compliments

J

johnalex141r

I went to Europe with all of my lenses (at the time).

A 21mm Color-Skopar and a 35mm Ultron.

It worked out just fine.
And, I did Alaska last September with my my M8 and my one and only lens - 25mm CV.

After years of using only a Fujica GS-645S (my Canon F1n and lenses sitting idle) the thought of using only 1 lens was absolutely natural.

I now have a CV15, which I use second. After that comes a CV 35 2.5 and a CV 50 2.5; both purchased to see what I thought about having multiple lenses. (not really a joke, but sounds like one!)

You know what? 99% of the time my CV 25 is on the camera. Sometimes I have to leave it at home to force myself to use another lens.

There really is something in the thought that you should simplify and get down to the real basics to get good photographs. It's tough; we all have GAS when it comes to shiny camera bits.

JohnS.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I have the same dilemma I'm going back to document a Russian village this summer and I need to pack light as possible. I'm thinking the cv12 (so small it doesn't count :)) Leica 21, 28 cron, and 35 Lux. The 28 because it stays on my camera and is my preferred focal length, the 21 for wide shots, and the 35 for inside/low light. I worry that I have nothing on the long side. The GRDII will go along as well.

Guy Mancuso

I have the same dilemma I'm going back to document a Russian village this summer and I need to pack light as possible. I'm thinking the cv12 (so small it doesn't count :)) Leica 21, 28 cron, and 35 Lux. The 28 because it stays on my camera and is my preferred focal length, the 21 for wide shots, and the 35 for inside/low light. I worry that I have nothing on the long side. The GRDII will go along as well.
Mike might want to think 75 Summarit. Small lens and not very expensive and very good to boot.

Guy Mancuso

Better bring your shorts and a cooler pack for you neck. I'm not joking could be as high as 120 degrees at the bottom. This is not the place you really want to be in July . It's hot here.:ROTFL:

mauribix

Any doubts on a Leica 21mm could end right here
Yep!
I truly wanted it, and now I don't regret the choice!

Still another amazing shot Guy, i really like your work!
Probably I'm directed towards a 12-21-35-75...
I've got only one problem: find a nice and cheap 75cron.
I'd love the 75summarit too, but since it hasn't a collapsible hood the lens leave me somehow stuck in the middle with the decision.
I know that you split the 90cronA with the new 90summarit, and i really appreciated your tests, but how you feel with the "absence" of a telescopic hood?
I know that focus is really easier with the new 90 (compared to the AA), is there the same difference between 75's?