The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's up with the M8/M8.2?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm not much for speculation, but something is in the air regarding the M8. It looks like that something must be around the corner as a few M8/M8.2s have hit the B&S forum from folks who are big Leica fans that I'm certain wouldn't changing allegiances anytime soon.

Anyone care to share?

Kurt

Henry Goh

Kurt I get the same feeling. I text my Leica Sales Manager to ask if there was any good M8 deals to be had. he replied that they have no stock. I would have expected him to suggest getting an M8.2 but his message just stopped there. I know there's something around the corner.

JPlomley

Well, there was a theory floating around that one of the reasons the R10 project was canned was so that Leica could focus their resources on the next M since that product line represents a revenue stream of far greater potential.

jonoslack

Hi Kurt
Well, I don't know - I'm thinking about selling one of my two M8 bodies, but it's because I'm using the Olympus Pen a lot, and it makes a decent enough 'back-up' for an M8.

I would think that might cover quite a lot of other people around here as well.

But . . . what do I know?

Terry

I'm enjoying my Sony and micro 4/3 set up and wasn't using the M8 so it went up for sale.

stephengilbert

Kurt,

My thought exactly. When a GetDPI insider sells a camera, that immediately sets off an alarm. It's as if Bill Gates sold ten billion dollars in Microsoft stock.

Steve

woodyspedden

When Stefan Daniels recently talked to a group in Germany he all but guaranteed there would be a FF M9. And further, he indicated it could be on the market around the end of 09. I would bet it is going to be the showpiece of Photokina 2010!

Woody

JPlomley

So perhaps in the interrum, an M8.3 with 17MP cropped sensor with improved noise performance to be continued alongside the M9 once it's released?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone, for the comments. I'd be thrilled with a FF M9, but would also be very excited with any extra ISO performance that could be gained...hopefully, we'll hear something sooner than later.

Kurt

I am considering selling my M8 and lenses IF the S2 price is suitable to me. Others may be like me - looking to raise funds to buy something else.

If the S2 price is too high for me, then I may still sell my M8, but keep my M lenses for a future full frame M. I have a Canon system with a wide range of lenses that will tide me over for a while and I may even get a 5D Mark II if I can't afford the S2.

Of course my preference is that Leica price the S2 at a point I can afford.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There is plenty to speculate on in this question. How can Leica be in anything other than dire financial shape? They were struggling before the worldwide recession. They are working 4 days a week in Solms and closed the Portugal plant before the normal slow down. They canceled the R program outright . The S2 is a costly attempt to reposition the product line . They have a new plant in wetzler coming on line soon?

Only two areas hold much promise(from a revenue standpoint)....the alliance with Panasonic and the future M.

The future M will not be FF. (IMHO) ...want to bet? Leica admitted that they have not solved the flange to sensor issue. If the M9 was FF and had +1 or 2EV performance ..they would be still backordered. So if you had a product that could revitalize your core customers like a FF M9 .....enough on that one. The real opportunity is for a M8.3 ...another 1.33 sensor but with +1-2 EV. An M8 that could shoot at 1600 with decent quality . The technology exists and if the sensor size is the same ..it has a chance of being brought to market. Leica doesn t have time to go with a wish and a hope.

Once Leica announces a new M8 .....sales of existing product will stop not slow but stop. Used values will be less than 50% of new. Dealers can t be too excited about this and Leica can ill afford to provide funding to smooth the decline in value. My guess is that dealers are backing away from the whole issue.

This has nothing to do with Getdpi members selling equipment. As a lot (I am including myself) we are habitual equipment buyers . Lots of neat new toys out there....the new E-P1,GH1 and A900 claimed a lot of $$$ this year. Look at the flow.....in 2007 (2 years ago) it was all M8 s (and this followed the alternative glass and DMR trends)..then it was the D3/D700, then a detour into MF land(this was the equivalent of a meltdown in capital) and then the A900 with some splintering into the G1 and the E-P1. The 5DII is also claiming some members .

The sale of M8s is to build up some funds to fuel the GAS. I sure hope Leica is focused on an M8.3 otherwise ....

N

nei1

I think its too easy to read what you want into peoples actions,some here seem to see conspiracy around every corner,its more likely that the kudos of a leica m is hardly worth the cost when seen against the point and shoot ease of use of an ep1.A good backup to a M8,dont follow that,the sensor is half the size as is the digital range.We should all be content with what suits us,if youre taking better snaps with an ep1 then stick with it,leave the rangefinders to the hairshirt brigade.

LJL

There was a posting a short while ago about the Leica strategy, as presented by Stefan Daniels at a gathering in Germany. The salient points have been listed, and the original is available for viewing. Here is the GetDPI posting: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8490

Basically, the M8/M8.2 line will no longer be upgraded, as it does nothing to help sales of any future models. The M9 is still a ways off, but Leica says they are working on it. Does this mean there will be something like an M8.3? Well, that conclusion is not obvious....for or against, based on what is said. Personally, I kinda doubt that Leica will be going down that path (M8.3, M8.4, etc.), but one never knows until it is real. My bet is that resources are presently going into the S-system right now to get it out the door, and ready to support. I would also not read too much into anybody buying or selling gear here or anyplace else. Some folks flip gear all the time, others wait for the best deals, others just move on to other things.

LJ

jonoslack

A good backup to a M8,dont follow that,the sensor is half the size as is the digital range.We should all be content with what suits us,if youre taking better snaps with an ep1 then stick with it,leave the rangefinders to the hairshirt brigade.
I think you're talking to me?
Well, I can have two M8's in a bag, or an M8 and an e-p1, I can use the M lenses on the E-P1, and it's good for close up and macro. I don't take better snaps with the e-p1, I take better snaps with the M8.

So, whereas 3 months ago I either took the A900 with zeiss lenses, or I took a small bag with two M8's (or sometimes both, for example at a wedding). Now I take either the A900, or a small bag with an M8 and a pen.

Makes sense to me, and what's hair shirt about a rangefinder compared to an insistence on using film!:)

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't worry about the crop of the M9, the issue is IR. Notice the magic date in the second week of September?;) A marketeers dream - who knows?:angel:

N

nei1

Jono,youre a professional,its different for us poor amateurs who really have to make do with one system.

Part of my insistence for using film is based around poverty and a good deal on anti-dandruff shampoo I got a few years ago.When it runs out Im game for anything!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There was a posting a short while ago about the Leica strategy, as presented by Stefan Daniels at a gathering in Germany. The salient points have been listed, and the original is available for viewing. Here is the GetDPI posting: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8490

Basically, the M8/M8.2 line will no longer be upgraded, as it does nothing to help sales of any future models. The M9 is still a ways off, but Leica says they are working on it. Does this mean there will be something like an M8.3? Well, that conclusion is not obvious....for or against, based on what is said. Personally, I kinda doubt that Leica will be going down that path (M8.3, M8.4, etc.), but one never knows until it is real. My bet is that resources are presently going into the S-system right now to get it out the door, and ready to support. I would also not read too much into anybody buying or selling gear here or anyplace else. Some folks flip gear all the time, others wait for the best deals, others just move on to other things.

LJ
There was another section of the notes from the discussion..where he was asked about the status of the M9(assumed to be a FF sensor) . He indicates that while this will be the priority after the S2 and some progress has been made.......significant challenges still exist. He also indicated that should the FF sensor bog down that an interim 1.3 sensor product may make sense. Leica could choose to call it the M9 .

But really in today s market ..you can t really rely on much of what he might be speculating upon.

You are correct that "no one has the crystal ball" and that the trading of equipment is just part of the GetDpi culture rather than anticipation of new things from Leica.

Peter Klein

Part of my insistence for using film is based around poverty and a good deal on anti-dandruff shampoo I got a few years ago.When it runs out Im game for anything!
Anti-dandruff shampoo? Hmm. Most contain a selenium compound. Do you tone your prints? :D