The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What does "Bokeh" mean to YOU?

Paratom

What does "Bokeh" mean to YOU? As I mentioned previously, I enjoy using Leica M and R lenses because of their intrinsic qualities to produce phenomenal bokeh. For comparative purposes, I post an image produced by a popular Nikon lens - AF Nikkor 18-200mm VR. Some people may find the bokeh pleasing, others may not. Appreciating the bokeh appears to fall within the realm of people's subjective opinions in many instances. Thank you. Leica 77 :)

looks good to me.

Leica 77

:thumbs: Peter!

To me Bokeh, now, is one of the tools that help with the composition. I am also convinced that it is one of the most difficult tools to use for this purpose.
Hello Vivek,
I agree with you that it "is one of the tools that help with the composition ... it is one of the most difficult tools to use for this purpose". PeterA's image represents a nice example of the effective use of Bokeh for composing the portrait of a young lady. Best wishes, Leica 77 :)

gero

I tried to think of when was "Bokeh" first in our collective conscious; I thought of VanGogh and the Impressionists so here are some pictures of him that might have it.

Last edited:

gero

no, that is bouquet.

Is bouquet that group of beautiful flowers that stand out from the room? :D

gero

so in trying to answer the question:

The out of focus in any image has been a part of our unconscious perception since we can see (since we were fishes?); it is an inherent part of any optic (including our eyes). At the same time we are so used to concentrate on what is in focus and treat the rest as secondary that when we see an object like a printed picture, we are, for the first time in our lives (since we where fish) that we are starting to question what that other part of the image is for. That to me makes it very unique.

If I where with Mies Vanderohe when he said that "god is in the detail"; I would answer that, he is also in the rest.

Last edited:

Chris C

What does bokeh mean to me?

Someone needs to counter the sentimental mainstream of this thread, I'd rather it was someone else but here goes. Bokeh means [to me] out of focus; and casually conceived photographic images telling me what the lens thinks when I really want to see what the photographer thinks. I tend to associate 'bokeh' photography with ordinariness and lightweight imagery which does not sustain my attention. I make a distinction between the necessity of shooting wide open in poor light when the photographer has no option but to accept what wide open apertures bring, and the obsessive wide aperture photography with fast shutter speeds which seems to be prevalent in forums.

When I think of the photographs which I would consider masterpieces of the medium, I cannot recall one image which would be represented in a 'bokeh' thread such as this. It is those masterpieces which inspire me, not out of focus rendering of light ideas. Sorry folks, the bokeh mainstream is not for me.

................ Chris

Knorp

~ what do you make of this ? ~
| ektar100 | apo-summicron-m | mp.85 |

Last edited: