The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV 15 Vignetting Problem - Help!

Gary P

I have been assembling what I thought were the right components to use my Voigtlander 15mm lens on my M8. I bought the Milich lens hood adapter and a B&W 39mm UVIR filter. Attached are two images one with the adapter and filter and one without.

As you can see the adapter with the filter causes serious vignetting. I thought the adapter was made for this purpose but perhaps I was wrong.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you for your input.

Gary P

jlm

Workshop Member
the worst vignetting i have ever seen with the 15mm filter/hood adapter is no worse than your first image. the second image tells me you have assembled the unit incorrectly or not fully pushed it onto the lens

Gary P

Hi John,

The first image is with the adapter only, no filter, the second is with the adapter and the filter screwed into position. I really pressed the adapter on to make sure it was seated as far as possible on the scalloped built in hood of the lens. Sometimes when you tighten the set screw it creeps off the tightest position. I made sure it was full on and only tightened the set screw enough for the filter to freeze it into position.

It looks to me that the depth of the filter housing is too much when mounted on the adapter. The vignetting is fully from the filter being placed too far out from the front lens element.

I friction fit the filter into the lens's built in hood with no vignetting problem in the image.