The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

Terry

Stuart,
I even suggesting a change the sensor size but just get it to today's standard. I just want that awesome lens back. I also like the body styling.

John Black

Stuart - Leica may have been quiet about the sensor for management reasons. The M8 sensor is a Kodak sensor and presumably Kodak doesn't have a replacement. Meanwhile, Leica was surely talking to Dalsa, but (understandably) did not want Kodak to know. Leica may have feared Kodak would raise prices, cease production and / or limit availability. So rather than saying they found a solution or replacement, Leica probably opted to stick with the standard story that no full-frame solution exists and quietly proceed with Dalsa (or some other supplier). I'm NOT saying this is what happened, just pointing out that there COULD be more going behind scenes than we know about.

---

I agree Terry, an updated Digilux 2 would be a nice camera. With the advancements in EFV's and now the micro 4/3's standard, maybe we'll see that lens materialize on the Panasonic GF-1 (or whatever they are calling it).

Hacker

Btw, major dealers are taking pre-orders on the M9. According to those dealers, deliveries start towards the end of September.
So far, we have only seen announcements (e.g. S2, M8, Noctilux etc) and then a very long lag time for the product to actually be made available on the market. I sure would want an M9 in September or even November. My UV/IR filters cost more than an M8 already, and I'm, holding back on more filters for the new lenses.

R

Ranger 9

Priced similarly to the Lecia M8.2, a FF M9 with no need for IR filters would sell very well ... IMHO.
Priced similarly to hamburger, filet mignon would sell very well. It's getting to that price point that's the trick!

Peter Klein

What I want to know is, when the M9 comes out...

- Will my M8 take worse pictures than it does now?
- Will I be disenfranchised because I have an "orphan" or "legacy" camera?
- Will you all still speak to me? :D

Yeah, I'd like better high ISO, but I'm not bothered much by the crop factor. I tended to be a "mostly 50 plus 35, 90" guy on film Ms, so I'm a "mostly 35 plus 28, 50 or 90 guy" on the M8. Now if I was a wide shooter, I'd be waiting anxiously for the M9.

--Peter

dseelig

I am buying I have heard the price $7700. Form me my personal work nothing works better then the Leica M. Canon has some improving wide fast glass but thedelay on the shutter of the 5d mk 11 a little much . The 1d series too big for a walk around camera. Nikon has no wide fast glass in the 35 or 24 that is a worth a damm. Besides for me nothing like a rangefinder. David

R

Ranger 9

Curious as to where you guys are "hearing" all this stuff.

I would guess that dealers who are spilling the beans ahead of the official announcement (if there really IS going to be an announcement) might not be dealers much longer after that.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
These are dealers Leica cannot afford to antagonize. For instance, one of them had a stack of over 100 Dlux4 cameras in the middle of his shop when the camera was introduced. Note too that most posters are careful to protect their sources.

Stuart Richardson

My skepticism is failing. Given what I have heard on the net, but also in my conversations in real life, I am starting to think this may happen. I am very interested to see what form it takes, if it indeed is on the horizon. If it is full frame, it works without a hiccup (actually, my M8 has been rock solid, but I came a bit late to the party), and comes in less than a D3x, I will be a very happy photographer.

Christopher

Well I thought we would never see a M9 before next Photokina, but perhaps I am really wrong. If there really is now M9 than it probably is one of the largest bubles in a long time. I mean dealers here have waiting Lists up to 35 people already, it really would be nice to see their faces when no M9 is coming ^^, but I really hope other wise.

I'm just not sure what I want a M8 type sensor which can enlarge very well but hits his limits at ISO 1000 or a CMOS with a usable ISO of 3200, well that would be a dream shooting with a 1.4 lens at that ISO in darkness, but than again that won't happen.

Terry

The part that nobody is discussing....

Now that they just launched the new 18, 21 and 24 what framelines are they going to put on a full frame body?

ecliffordsmith

Hi Terry,

If a full frame M8 comes along I suspect the 0.72 magnification will become the standard and the framelines you see in the M7 will be used.

steflaurent974

That's fine, but please don't disparage other people who do, because some rather good pictures are being taken that way.
I apologyse if one think I disparaged people who use their M lenses on m4/3 cameras.

What I mean is : I don't want to do it because I want a clear M rangefinder, I want to hold a camera I am use to ( leica M3 MP), and I'd love to use my lenses for what they have been designed (a 50mm for a 50 mm ) ; and I am really interested in this M9 comming (I hope so) that's it. Everybody is free to use anything for any purpose .

By the way I am not sure they 'll be a M10 ....what for ?? I don't need no video function or other 2000 points autofocus. If we have the resolution, the high iso, a rangefinder (accurate) to uses a more than 50 years tradition of making superlative glasses : that's it for the M line !!!

doug

... there COULD be more going behind scenes than we know about.
There is ALWAYS more going on behind the scenes than we know about. Regarding Dalsa... unlikely IMHO. There are a couple of features Kodak developed while researching the S2 sensor that would be GREAT on an M-camera:

1) sandwiching the IR filter between the (offset) microlenses and the sensor, instead of as part of a cover glass. The sandwiched IR filter 'sees' the light after the microlenses so the light is more perpendicular to the filter so the filter can be made more effective.

2) a technique for improving noise performance by about one stop (everything else being equal) that can be summarized as counting the holes where electrons left instead of counting departing electrons. This improves noise performance because departing electrons can't be easily distinguished from noise, while the electron 'holes' can be.

I would be VERY surprised if the M9 does not have a Kodak sensor.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
No full frame M9 until Photokina 2010 at the earliest.

Faites vos jeux, faites vos jeux....

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I sure hope they pull this off but the evidence doesn t look reasonable(just my speculation).

1. When they introduced the M8 they built up inventory for 2-3 months. This is what it required to manufacture,test and distribute the first batch.

2. Both the factory in Solms and the one in Portugal have either been on 4 day work weeks or shut down for summer holiday early . Confirmed by individuals visiting the factory. Want a reliable fact....have someone drive over to factory and count the cars in the lot. Does it look like an inventory build. Are people being called back from layoffs?

3. The briefing of the LUF a month or so ago ....the statement on FF was ..we have made progress but we are not quite there yet.

4. The S2 was introduced at photokina 2008 ....its a full year later and the summer officially ends sept 30 ..which now looks like the date of the first cameras.

5.The Phase relationship is over . This one is hard to handicap but Leica needs a technology partner(s) to pull this off. Maybe the S2 technology will be possible?

OK those are the facts that would support nothing more than a non working prototype on 09/09/09...delivery by the 09/20 would be beyond "world class performance" and worthy of a business school case for brilliance.

Now it isn t unreasonable to believe that Leica will tell us about the M9 ....but receiving one in September ?

Now .....which dealers are saying I can get 2 in september...I want to be on the list!