Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

John, the 135mm 3.4 apo telyt is a very good lens. A little more expensive at around $1500 used, but still a very nice lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Roger - which 135mm are you using? I've been think about the 2nd version elmarit w/ goggles (55mm Canadian), but have held off because I thought focusing would be hit or miss.
    John I use the newest version the 135/3.4 APO....you can see a number of images on my website under Street shooting/san francisco 09. (This is a work in progress because it helps to see them in context of the website).

First you need to have sorted out the whole diopter magnifier question. The 1.4X is a big improvement but the 1.25x works. The proper diopter is critical because even a slight focus error results in a total blur. I stack the 1.4 and 1.25 when testing for calibration. But once its calibrated the 1.25x works fine.

The second issue is the calibration....its easy to find a 135apo that focuses close accurately but as you move toward infinity it can go out quick. Tough one to crack because its on at 10ft ,front by 2 ft at 20ft and pure blur at infinity. My street in FL has mail boxes every say 100ft for a quarter mile . Great test location. Took DAG 3 tries and he needed my M8 even though he couldn t find anything different from his test M8 ...he just used my M8 as the standard and adjusted the lens to my camera.

The reason I worked so long on this ...was that photography around water needs some reach . A 180FOV is often needed just to frame the scene . having a 135 allows me to work just with my M8s otherwise its a DSLR. The apo is a superb lens and I like the rendering as well as any of the M lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    No, it's to reinforce that our preferences are exactly that, preferences.
    Why does it need reinforcing? Something about preaching and choirs comes to mind. Are you our messiah?

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Why does it need reinforcing? Something about preaching and choirs comes to mind. Are you our messiah?
    Obviously you haven't read farther up the thread! Some of the loudest voices in the choir have been contending that hardware antialiasing is Original Sin, and to that crowd I'm a heretic, not a messiah!

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you haven't read farther up the thread! Some of the loudest voices in the choir have been contending that hardware antialiasing is Original Sin, and to that crowd I'm a heretic, not a messiah!
    Of course the ultimate irony is that heretics and messiahs usually end up with the same fate...

I prefer something along the Cardinal line. Never know when a good Inquisition might spring up.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, I'll hold off on a 135mm lens until we know whether or not the M9 is real. If the M9 is real, then a 135mm lens is the least of my worries BTW - I tried to look at your site, but the URL doesn't seem to be correct (in your signature).

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you've suffered the malady you're seeing in others. Did you not read the post where I pointed out the advantages (IMHO) of AA filters?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    Okay, I admit I'm straying off-topic a bit, but I have a question about this.

Given that we accept the proposition that anti-aliasing (AA) filters are bad for color, tonal range, detail, etc., and that consequently less AA filtering is better, and no AA filtering is best of all... then why do Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, etc., etc., insist on including them in so many of their camera designs?

Is it because:
    No (to all three expectations)...
    Or is it possibly that AA filters have their place? I know, I shouldn't have said it, but I hang around in the gutters and dark alleys of the photography world, where twisted souls who have turned their back on the Gospel of Solms whisper perverted heresies of this sort... I was going to enumerate a few, but was afraid of shocking the kiddies...
    The mystery behind haveing no AA-filter is simply, that this is only possible (and sensefull) with a full-frame CCD, where the active pixels (pixelareas) are almost contiguous.
    Which means there are only very small gaps between the active pixelareas.
    On the other side, interline CCD and CMOS (and also LiveMOS) sensors have active pixelareas less than the theoretical area from calculation from the 'pixelpitch'. So the otherwise lost image information from these gaps has to be added to the neighbouring active pixels, which is best (?) done by an AA-filter.
    There are some common (???) accepted rules for AA-filtering:
    1) without AA-filter one can achieve the highest possible image quality (resolution, noise, colorsaturation and so on)
    2) without AA-filter, only full-frame CCDs could be used, therefore LiveView or even video are out of scope.
    3) the result from (2) is also, that a compareable (to CMOS) high ISO sensitivity could only be reached with hardware/sensor pixel pinning (to a lower resolution with adequate lowest noise).

Moire is another chapter of this story. An AA-filter can - in the best condition - only minimize it to a certain degree, but never remove it completely. In case of no AA-filter, moire can be easily minimized and even removed in a high degree by software algorithm.

Post Thanks / Like

@isaac

The differences you mentioned regarding CMOS/CCD/Full-Frame-CCD and pixel-pitch are very important and true.

But these "gaps" are handled by microlenses, which focus the light on the light-sensitive-area and not by the AA-filter. CMOS are hardly usable without microlenses while some full-frame CCDs don't have microlenses (like most MFDBs) and still loose abut 1 stop effective sensitivity (like P30+/H3DII-31 vs. P45+/H3DII-39) but making them less problematic with movements/oblique light rays (real WA-lenses).

As far as I know, the AA-filter doesn't affect noise or colors, it's not much more than a piece of glass which slightly blurs the image like satin glass.

This has nothing to do with CMOS vs. CCD, CMOS-sensors are easy to manufacture (in existing fabs) and can implement certain post-processing (less additional components). CCDs are more expensive to manufacture and they're just converters from light->electricity (photodiodes), they have the highest fill-rate but don't offer any kind of internal processing, even the amplification and AD-conversion is done be separate ICs.
    The low-noise of todays CMOS-sensors is reached with noise-filtering which may affect certain other IQ-aspects (like microcontrast and color) - never compare noise of CCD and CMOS directly in RAW "without any noise reduction", because the CMOS-RAW already incorporates heavy post-processing. Test them with fine details (denoise uniform areas is simple) and process both RAWs with noise-tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Roger, I'll hold off on a 135mm lens until we know whether or not the M9 is real. If the M9 is real, then a 135mm lens is the least of my worries BTW - I tried to look at your site, but the URL doesn't seem to be correct (in your signature).
    John corrected the URL on my signiture....it does not include www. .. problems just Google my name.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there is a big dealer meeting in NY this weekend by Leica so something is up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    Apparently there is a big dealer meeting in NY this weekend by Leica so something is up.
    Tim Thanks for the heads up ....Leica will need to leverage any introduction ...so I expect that early next week we will be able to find out if they have any plans for 9/9 in NYC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    ...so I expect that early next week we will be able to find out if they have any plans for 9/9 in NYC.
    They definitely do.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    Like the S2 roll out....

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what is the S2?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As long as it's not on 9/11.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Like the S2 roll out....
    Probably.