Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

It seems that a Full Frame M9 rangefinder camera will arrive at the end of the year...
    I've started to save money

http://leicarumors.com/2009/07/24/le...09-again.aspx/

"Besides the Nikon VP650 camera with a built-in projector, the French Chasseur d’Image magazine writes in its latest issue (#316, July 21 – September 21 2009) that Leica M9 will be released in September and it will be full frame. They also wrote about the Olympus EP-2." From the same source

I have a heard a similar "confidential" rumor from a french dealer.

Time will tell us !!
    Last edited by steflaurent974; 5th August 2009 at 03:48. Reason: new information
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

I think that the announcement is much more likely to be connected in some way with this :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32606902[/URL]

Do you guys ever look over the fence?
    Last edited by gDallasK; 10th August 2009 at 00:48. Reason: URL didn't work
    Geoff
    Too many cameras, too little time.
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Indeed, looking over the fence is a good idea. LUF has been alive with this subject, hundreds of posts, for weeks now.
    Btw, major dealers are taking pre-orders on the M9. According to those dealers, deliveries start towards the end of September.
    I'll summarize the rumour for those of us that like to stay in this pasture.

Full format
    No IR filters
    18 Mp
    5500 Euro.

fwiiw.
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really can't see the point with the micro 4/3 standard. If I am not wrong there is a 2X crop factor when adapting M lenses ? For me it's useless.

I have film Leicas, I use a M8 also and own a few leica glasses but I don't want my cron 50mm to be a 100mm or my 21mm Elmarit become a 42mm.

For me the micro 4/3 is interesting for those looking for a new point and shoot, but it'll never replace nor a M8 nor a M9...

I find the Pen EP-1, the G1 really awfull cameras (personnal point of view).

So I will wait for the M9 and hear about it ...we will see. But noway I won't stick a Cron 35 on a micro 4/3 thing.

Stephane.
    Last edited by steflaurent974; 10th August 2009 at 05:13. Reason: poor english, trying to make corrections ...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, given the financial staus of Leica right now, noted elsewhere, there is a not insignificant risk that we may have no other option than to consider non-Leica digital bodies for our expensive collections of Leica glass at some point in the not too distant future.

I hope that I'm wrong, but my long term equipment acquisition strategy certainly allows for this eventuality. I love my M8, but I wonder how long it would keep going if Leica were not around to fix it when needed.
    Geoff
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by steflaurent974 View Post
    I find the Pen EP-1, the G1 really awfull cameras (personnal point of view).

So I will wait for the M9 and hear about it ...we will see. But noway I won't stick a Cron 35 on a micro 4/3 thing.

Stephane.
    Not everyone has the luxury of the choice. The pricing I've heard on an M9 is very steep and will not be affordable to the majority of camera enthusiasts.
    Perhaps if there were a Leica system for micro 4/3 and they had their own set of Leica lenses you wouldn't feel like you were using your beloved lenses at the "wrong" focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with you Geoff, but for now the bear is still alived !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At this time, I'm not certain that Leica has the resources to be all things to all people. Has the marketplace really bought into 4/3 as a viable platform with the numbers to make it a profitable opportunity for Leica? I think that they've hedged their bet fairly well in allowing Panasonic to take the lead on camera development in 4/3 with ancillary lens development in case the buying public votes in favor of the platform. But, at this point in time, it doesn't seem that there has been a popular adoption of the platform.

If an M9 is indeed around the corner, sales of a FF M9 are a much safer bet for Leica (as M8 sales were good and the fact that they are the only players in the digital rangefinder market). Priced similarly to the Lecia M8.2, a FF M9 with no need for IR filters would sell very well ... IMHO.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unforunately Terry (? I presume), I have never seen a Leica system cheap.

So in the evnetuality of a leica micro 4/3 system, I am afraid the lenses will be expensive too.

The M9 is awaited by a lot of M8 user I think , those who already own lenses. I will be an expensive camera, that is sure but if it's good , I'll go for it because I don't think there will be a M10 (who will need it , will Leica still be in this world ? )

On an other hand, I see a lot of M8, new phase one DB (even P65+), and other extremely expensive camera on this forum and a good second hand gear market by here !!! there is money somewhere at Getdpi !!! (That's why I don't understand the crying thread about the S2 price ( ...sure times had been better)).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wasn't saying a Leica branded version or something m4/3 will be coming or coming cheaply. I was commenting more on the appeal and why it is gaining popularity. In terms of size body and lenses it is the only thing that comes close to the M's and people are still waiting for the digital CL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Terry.... it's true that each time a micro 4/3 appear, there is a lot of enthusiasm everywhere (other forum, etc).
    But I am curious to know if the standard is settling or not...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The old story, looks great on the Web and in the computer, after a few weeks people find out that there are problems with microcontrast, diffraction, postprocessing and printing and the excitement dies down.
    JAAP

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    The old story, looks great on the Web and in the computer, after a few weeks people find out that there are problems with microcontrast, diffraction, postprocessing and printing and the excitement dies down.
    If you look at it in terms of a replacement for an M8/M9, I agree. As a standalone system for a small fraction of the price, it has a lot going for it.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times. Just like their sport optics has kept the company afloat with a nice sales record. They need something on the camera side that does the same thing. 4/3rds or the 1k or less camera system is the ticket for them. The M9 and S2 are expensive items that will only enjoy sales to a limited number.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times.
    Totally agree, Guy. Imagine if Canon only sold 1Dx range bodies and L class lenses. They wouldn't be in business.
    Geoff
    www.pbase.com/gDallasK

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If you look at it in terms of a replacement for an M8/M9, I agree. As a standalone system for a small fraction of the price, it has a lot going for it.
    I agree, and then it does not need big and heavy Leica M lenses on it. More telecentric dedicated designs are far more suitable. It is of course a good emergency backup for the M8 too.
    JAAP

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times. Just like their sport optics has kept the company afloat with a nice sales record. They need something on the camera side that does the same thing. 4/3rds or the 1k or less camera system is the ticket for them. The M9 and S2 are expensive items that will only enjoy sales to a limited number.
    The funny thing is the camera exists! Take the amazing Digilux2 and update the guts for today's sensors/evf/raw buffer tech and you have a camera I would love to own.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually hate that name and if it were me I would call it simply Leica D1
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, I think the digilux 2 would require a full replacement. It's a shame, because it was a nice camera. But the lens only covers a tiny sensor, so it would have to be changed, and you would have to change all the electronics, rear screen, EVF and so on. What's left?
    But as for the M9 -- is it just wishful thinking, or is this really going to happen? Everything Leica has said has indicated that they have not solved the sensor problems (of off-axis light) so that a full frame sensor would work. Also, they are trying to get an S2 out the door. They are not a large company, do you think it is possible for them to try to create a whole new system in the S2 AND pump out large numbers of M9 bodies at the same time? I'm still pretty skeptical, but I would love to be proven wrong.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Priced similarly to the Lecia M8.2, a FF M9 with no need for IR filters would sell very well ... IMHO.
    Kurt, you do not need the IMHO qualifier here, you can just state this as fact!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart,
    I even suggesting a change the sensor size but just get it to today's standard. I just want that awesome lens back. I also like the body styling.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart - Leica may have been quiet about the sensor for management reasons. The M8 sensor is a Kodak sensor and presumably Kodak doesn't have a replacement. Meanwhile, Leica was surely talking to Dalsa, but (understandably) did not want Kodak to know. Leica may have feared Kodak would raise prices, cease production and / or limit availability. So rather than saying they found a solution or replacement, Leica probably opted to stick with the standard story that no full-frame solution exists and quietly proceed with Dalsa (or some other supplier). I'm NOT saying this is what happened, just pointing out that there COULD be more going behind scenes than we know about.

---

I agree Terry, an updated Digilux 2 would be a nice camera. With the advancements in EFV's and now the micro 4/3's standard, maybe we'll see that lens materialize on the Panasonic GF-1 (or whatever they are calling it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very,very unlikely.
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Btw, major dealers are taking pre-orders on the M9. According to those dealers, deliveries start towards the end of September.
    So far, we have only seen announcements (e.g. S2, M8, Noctilux etc) and then a very long lag time for the product to actually be made available on the market. I sure would want an M9 in September or even November. My UV/IR filters cost more than an M8 already, and I'm, holding back on more filters for the new lenses.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by steflaurent974 View Post
    But noway I won't stick a Cron 35 on a micro 4/3 thing.
    That's fine, but please don't disparage other people who do, because some rather good pictures are being taken that way.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Priced similarly to the Lecia M8.2, a FF M9 with no need for IR filters would sell very well ... IMHO.
    Priced similarly to hamburger, filet mignon would sell very well. It's getting to that price point that's the trick!

Post Thanks / Like

What I want to know is, when the M9 comes out...

- Will my M8 take worse pictures than it does now?
    - Will I be disenfranchised because I have an "orphan" or "legacy" camera?
    - Will you all still speak to me?

Yeah, I'd like better high ISO, but I'm not bothered much by the crop factor. I tended to be a "mostly 50 plus 35, 90" guy on film Ms, so I'm a "mostly 35 plus 28, 50 or 90 guy" on the M8. Now if I was a wide shooter, I'd be waiting anxiously for the M9.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I am buying I have heard the price $7700. Form me my personal work nothing works better then the Leica M. Canon has some improving wide fast glass but thedelay on the shutter of the 5d mk 11 a little much . The 1d series too big for a walk around camera. Nikon has no wide fast glass in the 35 or 24 that is a worth a damm. Besides for me nothing like a rangefinder. David

Ranger 9

Curious as to where you guys are "hearing" all this stuff.

I would guess that dealers who are spilling the beans ahead of the official announcement (if there really IS going to be an announcement) might not be dealers much longer after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are dealers Leica cannot afford to antagonize. For instance, one of them had a stack of over 100 Dlux4 cameras in the middle of his shop when the camera was introduced. Note too that most posters are careful to protect their sources.
    JAAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My skepticism is failing. Given what I have heard on the net, but also in my conversations in real life, I am starting to think this may happen. I am very interested to see what form it takes, if it indeed is on the horizon. If it is full frame, it works without a hiccup (actually, my M8 has been rock solid, but I came a bit late to the party), and comes in less than a D3x, I will be a very happy photographer.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I thought we would never see a M9 before next Photokina, but perhaps I am really wrong. If there really is now M9 than it probably is one of the largest bubles in a long time. I mean dealers here have waiting Lists up to 35 people already, it really would be nice to see their faces when no M9 is coming ^^, but I really hope other wise.

I'm just not sure what I want a M8 type sensor which can enlarge very well but hits his limits at ISO 1000 or a CMOS with a usable ISO of 3200, well that would be a dream shooting with a 1.4 lens at that ISO in darkness, but than again that won't happen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The part that nobody is discussing....

Now that they just launched the new 18, 21 and 24 what framelines are they going to put on a full frame body?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry,

If a full frame M8 comes along I suspect the 0.72 magnification will become the standard and the framelines you see in the M7 will be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    That's fine, but please don't disparage other people who do, because some rather good pictures are being taken that way.
    I apologyse if one think I disparaged people who use their M lenses on m4/3 cameras.

What I mean is : I don't want to do it because I want a clear M rangefinder, I want to hold a camera I am use to ( leica M3 MP), and I'd love to use my lenses for what they have been designed (a 50mm for a 50 mm ) ; and I am really interested in this M9 comming (I hope so) that's it. Everybody is free to use anything for any purpose .

By the way I am not sure they 'll be a M10 ....what for ?? I don't need no video function or other 2000 points autofocus. If we have the resolution, the high iso, a rangefinder (accurate) to uses a more than 50 years tradition of making superlative glasses : that's it for the M line !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be paying in full by the end of this month to get the M9 around 20 Sept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    ... there COULD be more going behind scenes than we know about.
    There is ALWAYS more going on behind the scenes than we know about. Regarding Dalsa... unlikely IMHO. There are a couple of features Kodak developed while researching the S2 sensor that would be GREAT on an M-camera:

1) sandwiching the IR filter between the (offset) microlenses and the sensor, instead of as part of a cover glass. The sandwiched IR filter 'sees' the light after the microlenses so the light is more perpendicular to the filter so the filter can be made more effective.

2) a technique for improving noise performance by about one stop (everything else being equal) that can be summarized as counting the holes where electrons left instead of counting departing electrons. This improves noise performance because departing electrons can't be easily distinguished from noise, while the electron 'holes' can be.

I would be VERY surprised if the M9 does not have a Kodak sensor.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No full frame M9 until Photokina 2010 at the earliest.

Faites vos jeux, faites vos jeux....

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    No full frame M9 until Photokina 2010 at the earliest.

Faites vos jeux, faites vos jeux....
    I will bet against you on that one

Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope they pull this off but the evidence doesn t look reasonable(just my speculation).

1. When they introduced the M8 they built up inventory for 2-3 months. This is what it required to manufacture,test and distribute the first batch.

2. Both the factory in Solms and the one in Portugal have either been on 4 day work weeks or shut down for summer holiday early . Confirmed by individuals visiting the factory. Want a reliable fact....have someone drive over to factory and count the cars in the lot. Does it look like an inventory build. Are people being called back from layoffs?

3. The briefing of the LUF a month or so ago ....the statement on FF was ..we have made progress but we are not quite there yet.

4. The S2 was introduced at photokina 2008 ....its a full year later and the summer officially ends sept 30 ..which now looks like the date of the first cameras.

5.The Phase relationship is over . This one is hard to handicap but Leica needs a technology partner(s) to pull this off. Maybe the S2 technology will be possible?

OK those are the facts that would support nothing more than a non working prototype on 09/09/09...delivery by the 09/20 would be beyond "world class performance" and worthy of a business school case for brilliance.

Now it isn t unreasonable to believe that Leica will tell us about the M9 ....but receiving one in September ?

Now .....which dealers are saying I can get 2 in september...I want to be on the list!

Ranger 9

I don't think there have been any technological breakthroughs since the M8 appeared that would solve the problems of steep ray angles at the edges of a 36x24mm sensor.

On the other hand, I just remembered that one of the promises Leica made a few months ago was that there would be "a solution" for R lens owners.

How disappointed would you all be if the putative "M9" were to incorporate a 36x24 sensor that would be electronically "cropped" to provide M8-size images when M lenses were used... plus an extension adapter that would enable 36x24 lenses when R lenses were used?

No RF coupling with the R lenses, of course, so presumably they'd have to be focused via live view. Come to think of it, this could be done semi-slickly by designing what might be called an "electronic Visoflex" that would provide both the necessary extra extension and a place to house an eye-level finder a la Panasonic G/H 1. An additional advantage of this configuration is that it also might be able to use S2 lenses via an adapter.

I know, this isn't what anybody would want. But it does have the advantage of being possible with current technology... which, IMO, a 36x24mm sensor with a M-flange body depth still is not...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think there have been any technological breakthroughs since the M8 appeared that would solve the problems of steep ray angles at the edges of a 36x24mm sensor.
    In fact, there have been some breakthroughs. Photonic crystals (Panasonic implemented them in one P&S cam recently, I think) will filter off UV and IR and like Doug Herr posted above, these can be incorporated in the microlenses themselves thus avoiding any thick glass filters, etc. This is cutting edge technology. Not sure if Leica would incorporate it.

Live view would be awesome.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In fact, there have been some breakthroughs. Photonic crystals (Panasonic implemented them in one P&S cam recently, I think) will filter off UV and IR and like Doug Herr posted above, these can be incorporated in the microlenses themselves thus avoiding any thick glass filters, etc. This is cutting edge technology. Not sure if Leica would incorporate it.

Live view would be awesome.
    Yes, about 6 months ago I read about Kodaks new sensors with the IR correction(filtering) embedded in the sensor. I remember sending Guy the link. I will try and find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I think if it is NOT going to be announced and available soon, it will be pretty odd given how many people have been informed of it by dealers. I spoke to my dealer who has had a 100% accuracy rating in giving me a few weeks head's up about these things in the past, and he told me that two of his distributors already have prices for the M9. I did not press him on it, nor will I reveal who he is (even by PM), but he was saying there was no way it would happen even a few weeks ago. Not anymore. Whatever form it will take, I think it is now pretty likely that it will be announced soon and available in at least small quantities soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the M9 is going to be an awesome addition to the Leica line -- I mean what's not to like about a full-frame digital RF, that can use all sorts of legacy and third-party glass? Plus, rangefinders are just plain fun to work with.

Re the M8: I do not see the M8 as being killed off by the M9 at all. In fact, there are more than a few reasons to have at least one M8 body, and ability to shoot IR is one.

Exciting times for Leica!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

A guess: M9 = Oly m43 design with full-frame chip....
    That would be a sensation. From the technical view the way is possible. Oly and Leica can do that. But not Leica alone. I dont believe that a M9 with full frame is possible with the same flangeback. The have to rethink !! And that is the reason why it last soooo long. m43 design ist the solution !

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    . . . there are more than a few reasons to have at least one M8 body . . . .
    Yes, turn 3 lenses into 6.
    21 Lux, 35 Lux, 75 Lux on the M9
    become
    28 LUX! - 47 Lux (almost your 50) - 100 Lux on the M8

So you only need to pick up the 50 preAsph for your 4th lens.

Wow! What a savings. Cost efficiency with Leica!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Plus now the rumor mill is talking about the Zeiss Ikon Digital showing up next year as well.

http://www.echenique.com/index.php/2...r-development/
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I think the M9 is going to be an awesome addition to the Leica line -- I mean what's not to like about a full-frame digital RF, that can use all sorts of legacy and third-party glass?
    I agree that an "M9" with the traditional M form factor, optical range/viewfinder, full M lens compatibility, and 36x24mm sensor, priced at about $7,700 per earlier rumorposts, would be a great addition to the Leica line.

I just don't think it can be done.

Technically speaking, something in that dream feature set would have to give. In the M8, what gave was the 36x24 sensor.

In a putative M9, I could imagine a 36x24 sensor but not with full M lens compatibility. (Maybe M lenses would be restricted to "crop mode," the way FX Nikons do with DX lenses, with a different line of longer-back-focus lenses that could use the full 36x24.)

I'm also skeptical that such a completely re-engineered camera could be delivered at a $7,700 price point, although I suppose all the electronics and software work that went into the S2 would be applicable to this as well.

Alternatively, I could also imagine a September-announced, $7,700 M9 that's conceptually nothing more than an M8.2 with a higher pixel count, but that would produce a lot of long faces out in Leica-land...

Post Thanks / Like

Well Carlos, if those Zeiss Ikon-D wishes come true, that could be a stunning development. That would a very interesting dichotomy with Leica presumably using CCD sensors sans AA filters and Zeiss using CMOS with an AA filter (assuming this is mostly trickle down sensor technology from Sony). I bet we'd see alot of people owning both - the M for low ISO work, and then the Zeiss for upper ISO work.
    Last edited by John Black; 16th August 2009 at 10:40.