The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 schedule for September 2009 ?

steflaurent974

It seems that a Full Frame M9 rangefinder camera will arrive at the end of the year...
I've started to save money :)

http://leicarumors.com/2009/07/24/leica-m9-on-09-09-09-at-0909-again.aspx/

"Besides the Nikon VP650 camera with a built-in projector, the French Chasseur d’Image magazine writes in its latest issue (#316, July 21 – September 21 2009) that Leica M9 will be released in September and it will be full frame. They also wrote about the Olympus EP-2." From the same source

I have a heard a similar "confidential" rumor from a french dealer.

Time will tell us !!

Last edited:

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Indeed, looking over the fence is a good idea. LUF has been alive with this subject, hundreds of posts, for weeks now.
Btw, major dealers are taking pre-orders on the M9. According to those dealers, deliveries start towards the end of September.
I'll summarize the rumour for those of us that like to stay in this pasture.

Full format
No IR filters
18 Mp
5500 Euro.

fwiiw.

steflaurent974

I really can't see the point with the micro 4/3 standard. If I am not wrong there is a 2X crop factor when adapting M lenses ? For me it's useless.

I have film Leicas, I use a M8 also and own a few leica glasses but I don't want my cron 50mm to be a 100mm or my 21mm Elmarit become a 42mm.

For me the micro 4/3 is interesting for those looking for a new point and shoot, but it'll never replace nor a M8 nor a M9...

I find the Pen EP-1, the G1 really awfull cameras (personnal point of view).

So I will wait for the M9 and hear about it ...we will see. But noway I won't stick a Cron 35 on a micro 4/3 thing.

Stephane.

Last edited:

gDallasK

Well, given the financial staus of Leica right now, noted elsewhere, there is a not insignificant risk that we may have no other option than to consider non-Leica digital bodies for our expensive collections of Leica glass at some point in the not too distant future.

I hope that I'm wrong, but my long term equipment acquisition strategy certainly allows for this eventuality. I love my M8, but I wonder how long it would keep going if Leica were not around to fix it when needed.

Terry

I find the Pen EP-1, the G1 really awfull cameras (personnal point of view).

So I will wait for the M9 and hear about it ...we will see. But noway I won't stick a Cron 35 on a micro 4/3 thing.

Stephane.
Not everyone has the luxury of the choice. The pricing I've heard on an M9 is very steep and will not be affordable to the majority of camera enthusiasts.
Perhaps if there were a Leica system for micro 4/3 and they had their own set of Leica lenses you wouldn't feel like you were using your beloved lenses at the "wrong" focal length.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
At this time, I'm not certain that Leica has the resources to be all things to all people. Has the marketplace really bought into 4/3 as a viable platform with the numbers to make it a profitable opportunity for Leica? I think that they've hedged their bet fairly well in allowing Panasonic to take the lead on camera development in 4/3 with ancillary lens development in case the buying public votes in favor of the platform. But, at this point in time, it doesn't seem that there has been a popular adoption of the platform.

If an M9 is indeed around the corner, sales of a FF M9 are a much safer bet for Leica (as M8 sales were good and the fact that they are the only players in the digital rangefinder market). Priced similarly to the Lecia M8.2, a FF M9 with no need for IR filters would sell very well ... IMHO.

Kurt

steflaurent974

Unforunately Terry (? I presume), I have never seen a Leica system cheap.

So in the evnetuality of a leica micro 4/3 system, I am afraid the lenses will be expensive too.

The M9 is awaited by a lot of M8 user I think , those who already own lenses. I will be an expensive camera, that is sure but if it's good , I'll go for it because I don't think there will be a M10 (who will need it , will Leica still be in this world ? )

On an other hand, I see a lot of M8, new phase one DB (even P65+), and other extremely expensive camera on this forum and a good second hand gear market by here !!! there is money somewhere at Getdpi !!! (That's why I don't understand the crying thread about the S2 price ( ...sure times had been better)).

Terry

I wasn't saying a Leica branded version or something m4/3 will be coming or coming cheaply. I was commenting more on the appeal and why it is gaining popularity. In terms of size body and lenses it is the only thing that comes close to the M's and people are still waiting for the digital CL

steflaurent974

Ok Terry.... it's true that each time a micro 4/3 appear, there is a lot of enthusiasm everywhere (other forum, etc).
But I am curious to know if the standard is settling or not...

jaapv

Subscriber Member
The old story, looks great on the Web and in the computer, after a few weeks people find out that there are problems with microcontrast, diffraction, postprocessing and printing and the excitement dies down.

Terry

The old story, looks great on the Web and in the computer, after a few weeks people find out that there are problems with microcontrast, diffraction, postprocessing and printing and the excitement dies down.
If you look at it in terms of a replacement for an M8/M9, I agree. As a standalone system for a small fraction of the price, it has a lot going for it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times. Just like their sport optics has kept the company afloat with a nice sales record. They need something on the camera side that does the same thing. 4/3rds or the 1k or less camera system is the ticket for them. The M9 and S2 are expensive items that will only enjoy sales to a limited number.

gDallasK

Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times.
Totally agree, Guy. Imagine if Canon only sold 1Dx range bodies and L class lenses. They wouldn't be in business.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
If you look at it in terms of a replacement for an M8/M9, I agree. As a standalone system for a small fraction of the price, it has a lot going for it.
I agree, and then it does not need big and heavy Leica M lenses on it. More telecentric dedicated designs are far more suitable. It is of course a good emergency backup for the M8 too.

Terry

Leica needs a product that is bread and butter money. Need a constant seller that brings in lots of revenue at low costs to the consumers to maintain there advanced line of gear and keep the company cash flow going at all times. Just like their sport optics has kept the company afloat with a nice sales record. They need something on the camera side that does the same thing. 4/3rds or the 1k or less camera system is the ticket for them. The M9 and S2 are expensive items that will only enjoy sales to a limited number.
The funny thing is the camera exists! Take the amazing Digilux2 and update the guts for today's sensors/evf/raw buffer tech and you have a camera I would love to own.

Stuart Richardson

Unfortunately, I think the digilux 2 would require a full replacement. It's a shame, because it was a nice camera. But the lens only covers a tiny sensor, so it would have to be changed, and you would have to change all the electronics, rear screen, EVF and so on. What's left?
But as for the M9 -- is it just wishful thinking, or is this really going to happen? Everything Leica has said has indicated that they have not solved the sensor problems (of off-axis light) so that a full frame sensor would work. Also, they are trying to get an S2 out the door. They are not a large company, do you think it is possible for them to try to create a whole new system in the S2 AND pump out large numbers of M9 bodies at the same time? I'm still pretty skeptical, but I would love to be proven wrong.