The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some shots with the 21 and 24 Lux...

Riccis

Marc - You can definitely rely on your Ms for those "must have" images... Just jump in, the water is great :D

BTW, my definition of a "must have" is every single image that I deliver to my clients.

Cheers,

stevem8

Just posted my 21 Lux review. A bit shorter due to the fact it is equally as good as the 24, just wider!

In a perfect world I would own both lenses!

Steve

gero

Steve, thanks for those reviews. The numbers of the 21 design are "better" than the 24 so I was a bit disappointed that you found the 24 sharper in the test. I also liked the video of the lenses and like the 24 much more from them. It was good to see the processed pictures from you because I know your style and it was grate to see how you used these lenses.

I still think I will get the 21 at some point. I am really into wa's.

stevem8

Thanks Gero. Both are stellar and if I was a WA guy, and had the money, both would be mine. You can not go wrong with EITHER lens if you want the ultimate WA for your Leica.

Paratom

Now since we know the M9 does not include frames for 24mm this means that we have to use an external viewfinder for each lens, 21 and 24mm.
Doesnt kae the decision easier.

My heart says 21mm, also looking at the images in this thread here. I first have to recover from cost for the M9 anyways...

Any people who would like to post some smaples from 21/24 lux on M9??? Please

Paratom

I still wonder which focal length and speed makes sense.
So Marc says for the M8 24/1.4 is more usefull, and for the M8 18mm/3.4 would be fast enough. But 18mm on the M8 is like 24mm on the M9. So if the 18/3.4 is fast enough on the M8 than the 24/2.8 should be fast enough on the M9 ;)
OK, I know in the end its a matter of taste and everybody has to find out.
My tendancy fot the M9 would be towards the 24 right now, even though today I use 21 more often on fullframe, but not so much in situations where I would need/use f1.4
Also subject isolation (which would be one of the reasons for me) should be even harder with 21 vs 24mm.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Steve,

Can you do me a favor and look and see if you get a color shift on the edges of the 21lux when you shoot wide open in daylight. It's happening for me on the lens I'm trying out and I'm not certain if it might be a reflection off of the filter onto the lens or something else.

Kurt
Kurt

You should read the posts at the LUF on certain lenses causing a red cast on the left side of the frame.. Diglloyd shows this in his M9 review and it is happening with lens designs that are asymetrical . I will try some shots with the 21 and 24 lux over the weekend.

It looks for example that the new 18/3.8 will be a problem but the WATE is OK .

Both 1.4 lenses are real keepers for available light work. I do still like the 2.8 asph versions though for all around performance.