The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The general opinion about lens/fungus is...

waynelake

Well, I got a R28-70 which has a small amount of spider web type fungus. I'm fairly sure I should get rid of it because even if cleaned out its likely to come back + is contageous to other lenses. Does this sound right?

EH21

I've been told that it won't come back if its cleaned properly, but some fungus excretes hydroflouric acid as waste and this can etch coatings or even the glass if left on there long enough. There are cleaning services that can polish lens elements and recoat but I don't know how successful this is. In reality the images are hardly affected if it can be cleaned, and its not going to be spreading to your other lenses if they are stored properly. But will it make economic sense to clean? Probably going to cost you a couple hundred.