The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My M8s are overexposing ... is it the new firmware?

fotografz

Both my M8s are back from Leica (3 lenses are still missing in action since Dec.3rd).

Both the cameras are now overexposing by about 2/3rds of a stop from prior to sending them in.

Anyone else experiencing this?

simonclivehughes

Marc,

I've updated whenever firmware changed but I've not seen this in either M8 body. I virtually always have them set for -2/3 EV.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Marc:

The early firmwares caused serious over-exposure in my cameras too, but I have NOT noticed it at all with the last two revisions. In fact, with the last revision, I find AE to be excellent in most situations, which given the M8 exposure technology is a pretty impressive feat IMO...

robsteve

Subscriber
Both my M8s are back from Leica (3 lenses are still missing in action since Dec.3rd).

Both the cameras are now overexposing by about 2/3rds of a stop from prior to sending them in.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Did you get a more sensitive sensor or is the metering out?

Robert

fotografz

One camera was sent in to just align the rangefinder. The other one was an earlier M8 and was sent to Germany for the original fix and to calibrate the rangefinder.

The only common thing that differentiates them from before sending them in is the newer firmware V 1.201. It seems highly unlikely that both cameras' metering is out of whack exactly the same amount. I'd say in general its closer to 1/3 stop than 2/3s ... in between. At night, or in lower light it seems fine or just slightly off.

It may just be me, since Leica has had my cameras for 2 lifetimes I may just have a faulty memory : -) The main thing is that the darn things now focus accurately from 24 ASPH to my old 90/2.8 in both portrait and landscape orientation, and the lenses I do have are now calibrated. I can deal with metering.

jonoslack

One camera was sent in to just align the rangefinder. The other one was an earlier M8 and was sent to Germany for the original fix and to calibrate the rangefinder.

The only common thing that differentiates them from before sending them in is the newer firmware V 1.201. It seems highly unlikely that both cameras' metering is out of whack exactly the same amount. I'd say in general its closer to 1/3 stop than 2/3s ... in between. At night, or in lower light it seems fine or just slightly off.

It may just be me, since Leica has had my cameras for 2 lifetimes I may just have a faulty memory : -) The main thing is that the darn things now focus accurately from 24 ASPH to my old 90/2.8 in both portrait and landscape orientation, and the lenses I do have are now calibrated. I can deal with metering.
Hi Marc
Sounds like you got a better result than one might have expected - let's hope it's a sign of things to come.
As far as the metering is concerned, I've not noticed a change - but I've always had mine set to -1/3 or -2/3; maybe it's just unfamiliarity because they took so long!

Hank Graber

My normal setting for the M8 has always been -2/3 EV. I find Leica's ISO ratings very conservative compared to Canon's. In addition I prefer to leave a little more headroom in the highlights with Leica files underexposing a bit more, where with the Canon I'd expose to the right.

D

Digital Dude

From a newbie perspective, I prefer having my profiles set at either -1/3 or -2/3rds. Otherwise, it just appears to be a tad light during the daylight for my taste.
Regards,:rolleyes:

harmsr

Workshop Member
I recently sent my M8 into Leica NJ for a rangefinder adjustment and fix on the meter. I had to always dial in a -2/3 EV on the M8 in order to get it to meter the same as my M7 or the Nikon D3.

It came back within 1 1/2 weeks (in time for my trip to Jamaica that I just got back from) working perfectly in respect to both the focus and metering.

If you meter requires that you set it to a -2/3 EV then it needs to be adjusted. Send it back to Leica.

Best,

Ray

fotografz

Thanks Ray, but I'm NOT deliberately sending anything into the black hole of Leica unless the camera flat out doesn't work, or can't be focused : -)

I'm just got them back, and weird as it may seem, the meters both worked better before sending them in. But it just may be my faulty memory since they were gone for so long. It seems to be fine in low light, but overexposes in daylight. Gotta pull out the hand meter and test them against it.