Site Sponsors

Thread: CV 12 kit setup

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CV 12 kit setup

Hi folks, sorry to ask one more dumb question. I'd like to start using my M8 for landscape photography and of course want the CV 12.

But how should I set it up? Coded using a jlm-hacked adapter, or uncoded and cornerfix? If coded, as what - WATE? Would that even be ballpark? Should I use an IR filter, and if so which filter adapter - the CV one (77) or jlm's (50, is it?)? Which filter - Leica or B+W? How about a shade as well with the filter? I'm curious how you set yours up and why you like it the way you have it... I have jlm's filter adapter for the CV 15 and like it.

Also, any thoughts on using a dual accessory holder, to fit both a viewfinder and a level? Would the additional parallax be a problem for landscape - typically near hyperfocal with either the 12 or 15, I presume? Any snags using an L bracket as well?

Just trying to collect useful info in one place before I end up buying every option myself. (What typically happens.)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CV 12 kit setup

Ive used it extensively and have seen no need for filters or adjustments, YET!

:-)

try it first. Unless you take a lot of polyester landscapes you may not need and the vihneting is slight and easily taken out and you get really good color
    here's an interior shot
    you tell me

Victor
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jan:

Like Victor, I use mine WITHOUT the IR cut or coding --- so far no issues at all.

PS: Happy to meet with you and let you take it for a spin
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright, I'll try it au naturelle then.

Sweet shot Victor. Love the look of the marble.

Jack, sorry I keep missing the get-togethers, but I longer commute to the south bay, so it's a bit of a production. But I'd definitely like to get a bunch of us together, either to shoot or just coffee.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hi Jan:

Like Victor, I use mine WITHOUT the IR cut or coding --- so far no issues at all.

PS: Happy to meet with you and let you take it for a spin
    Jack,
    Did you use a filter on the 15?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That church sure looks Bavarian.
    Andeches?
    Where is it?
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jack,
    Did you use a filter on the 15?
    Hi Terry:

No I don't (I still own the 15 ). I am one of the few M8 shooters that only uses the IR filters if I *KNOW* I'm going to be shooting people or a product where color is critical; in that case the filters go on. For my nature and travel shots I generally don't bother with filters. Occasionally, I get a purple black, but rarely does it impair the image at all, so I typically don't worry on them. If I do end up with one I wish were true black, then I can always run Jamie's profile over it which does a stellar job of correcting the black after the fact.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry:

No I don't (I still own the 15 ). I am one of the few M8 shooters that only uses the IR filters if I *KNOW* I'm going to be shooting people or a product where color is critical; in that case the filters go on. For my nature and travel shots I generally don't bother with filters. Occasionally, I get a purple black, but rarely does it impair the image at all, so I typically don't worry on them. If I do end up with one I wish were true black, then I can always run Jamie's profile over it which does a stellar job of correcting the black after the fact.
    Thanks Jack,
    Solves the problem of being short one filter , allows me to sell the 15 including adapter and hood to fund a "naked" 12 (after Morocco - unless I go crazy and "must" take a 12 with me) , forces me to finally deal with C1 (I guess it is C4 now?)

Terry

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack, How can I get a copy of Jamie's profile to fit the blacks? Ben

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use mine without a filter also. Just need to remember to turn your UV/IR menu option to off. All my other lenses i use the filters on themthough. There is no real code for the 12mm and using the WATE code really is not a option because it still misses 3mm . So if you have to use a IR filter than do it uncoded and than use corner fix to clean it up. but again that is extra work so i avoid it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking for a lens this wide a filter might be more pain that it's worth. I'll have to see if I can live without an IR filter on it. Certainly is the easier and cheaper solution, by far.

Jamie Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Tanner View Post
    Thanks Jack, How can I get a copy of Jamie's profile to fit the blacks? Ben
    Hey Ben--

You can download the profiles from here:

http://private.james-roberts-photogr...8_profiles.zip

They only really work in C1 or other programs where you have an input profile.

Enjoy! There's a low-sat neutral, higher sat neutral, and crazy sat "chrome" profile optimised for red-recovery and minimizing magenta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    I'm thinking for a lens this wide a filter might be more pain that it's worth. I'll have to see if I can live without an IR filter on it. Certainly is the easier and cheaper solution, by far.
    Jan basically that is the bottom line just easier to deal with it without the filter unless you really need it. I have the 18mm now so that may off set that IR need but using Jamie's profile when you need it is also another way out of trouble. For me it is the only lens that does not use the filter. My 12mm is messed up and I really should buy a new one. I have glued the hood on with super glue and no way in hell to get it off, than my lens coating is smeared or something. What i should do is sell it real cheap and get a fresh one, although it works really well and is sharp as heck and you don't notice any effect from the lens coating. After Jack saw what mine was producing he ordered one that night in Yosemite. I think there like 700 dollars which for a lens like this is nothing. I like it better than the 15mm CV which I am selling in the B&S section. Maybe I should sell the 12 and 15 for 750 and just get a new 12mm and be done with it. I just need to take a picture of the 12mm so people know what there buying.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwfreund View Post
    That church sure looks Bavarian.
    Andeches?
    Where is it?
    thanks
    -bob
    Vienna

we were tekking and WERE in Bavarian Alps (at -5 C in June!)

but went to Vienna for a few days
    Yes similar from Munich to Budapest for that time period (all faux marble except for the Jesuit church- but then they invented money! and since I have a great respect for the order (and my university days were jesuit) I feel I can speak a little more freely! :-)

I think this may have been the Fransiscan church

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

what is really surprising; this was a .3s exposure at 640 ISO
    [BTW, what's with the 1MB restriction?]
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:21.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    Vienna
    I would have guessed Prague!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy, B&H has the CV 12 for $595. Can't wait for it to arrive, thank God for express shipping!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really. Okay discounting my 15mm with John's adapter to 400.

And selling my existing 12mm for really cheap. See B&S

I will even package the 2 for 650. Just want a new 12mm and be done with it

Post Thanks / Like

ok everybody sorry, but this is a test of linking to gallery NOT attaching. This could be a great benefit on the site )speed!) if we all do it.
    So everybodyt, pull for me!

Nope that's not it, you only get a thumbnail

ok try again...

Post Thanks / Like

http://http://forum.getdpi.com/galle.../chrchcv12.jpg

OK, Jack I give up

The BB link is only a thumbnail, and the other is a link that doesnt work

how do you get the whole image to show here from the gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor:

Use the direct link it provides in the image gallery then in the message creation window press the little mountain icon to put a picture into the message. Paste the URL into the pop-up from the image icon. I did that to link it in this message

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    http://http://forum.getdpi.com/galle.../chrchcv12.jpg

OK, Jack I give up

The BB link is only a thumbnail, and the other is a link that doesnt work

how do you get the whole image to show here from the gallery
    Click on that thumbnail

Or, alternatively, use the code as Rob described -- note that the dilog simply takes that url and adds the proper opening and closing HTML code of
    {IMG}image_url_from_forum_link_always_ending_in_.j pg{/IMG} only in the solid square brackets. (Can't show them here as it thinks it's real code.)

The main advantage of either of these methods over the simpler attatchment, is you can place the image directly in your post, between words or paragraphs, and not just all at the end of your thread

Bottom line is you now have three options for embedding/loading images in your thread, or four if you loded a large original like I did with my DOmke J803 bag image. If I go to my gallery and click on the picture of my J803 bag in my gear portfolio, I immediately see a 750 pixel image. Using the "direct link" url under that image with the IMG code button, I can insert it here and you'll see a 750 pixel image:

However, if I then click the 750 pixel image in my gallery, I get to the full 1200 pixel image. There is a new direct link url under that and I can use it instead and place the larger image here like so:

To clarify, if all I want to do is keep the image small so you can click it if you want to see the larger image or not, I embed th BB code link for that image and you get the thumb:

Finally, I could also upload that image from my computer as an attachement and it would show at the bottom as a 750 pixel image attatched before my signature.

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Click on that thumbnail

Problem with clicking on the thumbnail is it brings up a gallery with other images in it. When I clicked on
    Victor's thumbnail of the church, beside it was this image

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lucky you!

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The main advantage of either of these methods over the simpler attatchment, is you can place the image directly in your post, between words or paragraphs, and not just all at the end of your thread
    I believe you can place the image directly in the post between words or paragraphs with the attachment (paper clip icon) as well. For example, if I take Jack's image of the Domke bag (downloaded to my desktop) and use the paper clip icon to upload and then use the manage attachments function from the paper icon I can insert it in the post like so:

Attachment 123

Then I can add more text and images throughout the rest of the post. Perhaps this is what you were already saying and perhaps I misunderstood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, good point. The paper clip is another way, but is essentially the same thing as the {img} code, just uses {attach} code instead, but accomplishes the same task.

Bottom line, is ANY of the methods work just fine, so just use whatever works best for you
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Problem with clicking on the thumbnail is it brings up a gallery with other images in it. When I clicked on
    Victor's thumbnail of the church, beside it was this image

I see that is one of Peter's images... Nice aspect ratio Peter!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

ASpect ratio?
    you crack me up

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 123

forget the image of the bag!

I'll take two of the M8 w 21 ASPH, a side order of filters, and some Eclipse2 to wash it down!!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it's a lot smaller than I had expected! It also doesn't seem to vignette a whole lot.

Works great with the 21mm CV finder - which is the same as the 15 VF with 21 framlines etched into it. The etched 21 lines work well with the 15mm lens.

This is definitely going in my landscape kit, which will consist of the CV 12, 35/2 IV, and 135/4 Tele-Elmar... using the RRS L bracket. With the camera on tripod over my shoulder two lenses, card oyster case, and a spare battery should fit in a Photorunner fanny pack.

Long weekend coming up!!!