The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CV 12 kit setup

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi folks, sorry to ask one more dumb question. I'd like to start using my M8 for landscape photography and of course want the CV 12.

But how should I set it up? Coded using a jlm-hacked adapter, or uncoded and cornerfix? If coded, as what - WATE? Would that even be ballpark? Should I use an IR filter, and if so which filter adapter - the CV one (77) or jlm's (50, is it?)? Which filter - Leica or B+W? How about a shade as well with the filter? I'm curious how you set yours up and why you like it the way you have it... I have jlm's filter adapter for the CV 15 and like it.

Also, any thoughts on using a dual accessory holder, to fit both a viewfinder and a level? Would the additional parallax be a problem for landscape - typically near hyperfocal with either the 12 or 15, I presume? Any snags using an L bracket as well?

Just trying to collect useful info in one place before I end up buying every option myself. (What typically happens.)

gogopix

Subscriber
Ive used it extensively and have seen no need for filters or adjustments, YET!

:)

try it first. Unless you take a lot of polyester landscapes you may not need and the vihneting is slight and easily taken out and you get really good color
here's an interior shot
you tell me

Victor

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jan:

Like Victor, I use mine WITHOUT the IR cut or coding --- so far no issues at all.

PS: Happy to meet with you and let you take it for a spin ;)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Alright, I'll try it au naturelle then. :)

Sweet shot Victor. Love the look of the marble.

Jack, sorry I keep missing the get-togethers, but I longer commute to the south bay, so it's a bit of a production. But I'd definitely like to get a bunch of us together, either to shoot or just coffee.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That church sure looks Bavarian.
Andeches?
Where is it?
thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Did you use a filter on the 15?
Hi Terry:

No I don't (I still own the 15 :)). I am one of the few M8 shooters that only uses the IR filters if I *KNOW* I'm going to be shooting people or a product where color is critical; in that case the filters go on. For my nature and travel shots I generally don't bother with filters. Occasionally, I get a purple black, but rarely does it impair the image at all, so I typically don't worry on them. If I do end up with one I wish were true black, then I can always run Jamie's profile over it which does a stellar job of correcting the black after the fact.

Terry

Hi Terry:

No I don't (I still own the 15 :)). I am one of the few M8 shooters that only uses the IR filters if I *KNOW* I'm going to be shooting people or a product where color is critical; in that case the filters go on. For my nature and travel shots I generally don't bother with filters. Occasionally, I get a purple black, but rarely does it impair the image at all, so I typically don't worry on them. If I do end up with one I wish were true black, then I can always run Jamie's profile over it which does a stellar job of correcting the black after the fact.
Thanks Jack,
Solves the problem of being short one filter :D, allows me to sell the 15 including adapter and hood to fund a "naked" 12 (after Morocco - unless I go crazy and "must" take a 12 with me) :D, forces me to finally deal with C1 (I guess it is C4 now?) :eek:

Terry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use mine without a filter also. Just need to remember to turn your UV/IR menu option to off. All my other lenses i use the filters on themthough. There is no real code for the 12mm and using the WATE code really is not a option because it still misses 3mm . So if you have to use a IR filter than do it uncoded and than use corner fix to clean it up. but again that is extra work so i avoid it.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm thinking for a lens this wide a filter might be more pain that it's worth. I'll have to see if I can live without an IR filter on it. Certainly is the easier and cheaper solution, by far.

Guy Mancuso

I'm thinking for a lens this wide a filter might be more pain that it's worth. I'll have to see if I can live without an IR filter on it. Certainly is the easier and cheaper solution, by far.
Jan basically that is the bottom line just easier to deal with it without the filter unless you really need it. I have the 18mm now so that may off set that IR need but using Jamie's profile when you need it is also another way out of trouble. For me it is the only lens that does not use the filter. My 12mm is messed up and I really should buy a new one. I have glued the hood on with super glue and no way in hell to get it off, than my lens coating is smeared or something. What i should do is sell it real cheap and get a fresh one, although it works really well and is sharp as heck and you don't notice any effect from the lens coating. After Jack saw what mine was producing he ordered one that night in Yosemite. I think there like 700 dollars which for a lens like this is nothing. I like it better than the 15mm CV which I am selling in the B&S section. Maybe I should sell the 12 and 15 for 750 and just get a new 12mm and be done with it. I just need to take a picture of the 12mm so people know what there buying.

gogopix

Subscriber
That church sure looks Bavarian.
Andeches?
Where is it?
thanks
-bob
Vienna

we were tekking and WERE in Bavarian Alps (at -5 C in June!)

but went to Vienna for a few days
Yes similar from Munich to Budapest for that time period (all faux marble except for the Jesuit church- but then they invented money! and since I have a great respect for the order (and my university days were jesuit) I feel I can speak a little more freely! :)

I think this may have been the Fransiscan church

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
what is really surprising; this was a .3s exposure at 640 ISO
[BTW, what's with the 1MB restriction?]

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Really. Okay discounting my 15mm with John's adapter to 400.

And selling my existing 12mm for really cheap. See B&S

I will even package the 2 for 650. Just want a new 12mm and be done with it

gogopix

Subscriber
ok everybody sorry, but this is a test of linking to gallery NOT attaching. This could be a great benefit on the site )speed!) if we all do it.
So everybodyt, pull for me!:p

Nope that's not it, you only get a thumbnail

ok try again...