Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Utube video about 090909

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Utube video about 090909

Like 'Bender' i'm also surprised that it seems that Leica is going to be in a position
    to launch an M9 and an S2 concurrently.

I'm almost left with the impression that Leica might have anticipated a , somewhat,
    lukewarm reception to the S2 when it hits the streets in October and have initiated a
    plan to generate a significant buzz around the brand.

Cruisin' around the web looking at sites/forums that focus a little more on product
    for the medium format user it seems clear,to me, that there is very little momentum for the S2 regardless of its potential.

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    It's two bad you won't be able to make it their, Guy because
    there sure too have many new products to handle and use
    they're.

:>)

Mark
    I'm not left out with playing with some things
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Like 'Bender' i'm also surprised that it seems that Leica is going to be in a position

I'm almost left with the impression that Leica might have anticipated a , somewhat,
    lukewarm reception to the S2 when it hits the streets in October and have initiated a

Cruisin' around the web looking at sites/forums that focus a little more on product
    for the medium format user it seems clear,to me, that there is very little momentum for the S2 regardless of its potential.

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com
    They specifically mention "novice" which isn't S2 or M8/M9. Gotta be Panaleica - it is the only way they could actually have something built and close to shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not left out with playing with some things
    Guy, you're making it too easy. Are you sure you weren't the setup
    guy in a comedy duo in another life !!

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing to do with the announcement on the 9th. But I will get some toys to play with hopefully soon
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My bet is that Guy will be messin' around with an S2 sooner than later ... at least to give it a test spin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My hope too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark
    www.marktomalty.com
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that bunching all of the announcements together is a great idea. It demonstrates that Leica is fully back in the game. I also feel that there is a good amount of interest in the S2 ... momentum that will probably start to gather once images are released. Remember the market for a potential M9 versus an S2 is what 20-1 or ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the LCD panel is slightly moved to the left. On my M8, the rs of the LCD lines up with the "N" of "made iN germany"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little more wood to add to the fire. Look closely at the shots of the M? LCD screen notice the "Lens Detection" - "Auto" not On, Off, On+UV/IR. "Advance" is under "Save User Profile" - new software? The shutter speed dial goes to 1/4000th but no "8.2" inscription on the hot shoe. Then as the camera is panned from the LCD screen to the top left, a new cut out on the left top corner ala rewind crank area where the small battery/frame counter was on the flat top.

So more than just speculation? Something is real?

Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you notice this
    Enjoy living, live to enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All this excitement reminds me of the exhilarated (childhood) Santa Claus periods.
    Enjoy living, live to enjoy

bender

Quote Originally Posted by Bébèrt View Post
    Did you notice this

If the flash hot shoe is the same size as the current M8 then the camera is 3mm thinner and looks to be maybe 5mm longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    If the flash hot shoe is the same size as the current M8 then the camera is 3mm thinner and looks to be maybe 5mm longer.
    This is my bet!

bender

Quote Originally Posted by rondeb View Post
    This is my bet!
    i posted this over at l-camera,will save you the clicks/trip over there

here is a (poor) picture....

flash hot shoe 16mm (M8 16mm)
    front plate 74mm (M8 74mm)
    thickness 33mm (M8 36mm)
    front of plate until curve starts 9mm (M8 3mm)

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of course this could just be a red-herring - maybe it's just a prototype?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    They can do amazing things with cardboard these days...

bender

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It could very well be, but apparently Guy has one in his safe that he was going to take a closer look at.... now if we could just get him to use that MF camera of his for what it was intended for (posting high res shots of a new camera to a forum )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need some extension tubes , damn thing is too small. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess on all this and no insider stuff. Most likely a M9 certainly would not bet against it now after all this data but like it has been going around 18 mpx FF and I am going to lose a steak dinner on this one but I think it maybe a 6.8 and not a 6 micron sensor. Jono gets a nice steak dinner here if I'm wrong at least one of us get's to eat. LOL I bet on 6 micron and him on 6.8 this is still up for grabs. LOL

But seriously I think you will see whatever is announced out immediately. Leica has turned over a few corners that most do not know about and the company divided itself up internally like into groups which is actually a smart thing to do they have there M folks the S folks and whatever is the other division internally but this promises more quickness on there feet for lack of a better term. But i will say this Leica will NOT have another M8 on there hands and my bet here is this has been secretly in the works for some time if it truly is a M9. There is nothing quick about this coming to the streets. If it was it may have been the S2 sensor instead if it was a quick to get out the door.Leica most likely took a lot of the suggestions that many of us had and started developing this at a stage when they thought FF would work out. Also I can tell you this much without getting in any trouble all this was done in house including the firmware. So leica has complete control on it and most likely most of there products going forward. They been burned before on the DMR and the M8 so those issues get the award for them. In the end maybe one of there smartest moves. I think you will all see a new Leica this time around. That was the good news the bad is trying to rob a few banks to buy all this cool stuff. My wife already has gun and knife in hand just waiting for me to get stupid again. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy
    you're real problem is going to be the wine for my steak dinner!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is what is making me really nervous. LOL

But i can drink a load of vodka too bud

Post Thanks / Like

Jono

Normally that would be 'your', unless of course you are using the special Mancuso version of English.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its called special English only taught on the streets of Jersey. LOL

BTW just got a postcard in the mail for Phoenix area folks Leica Day at Photomark 10-4 pm. I may go myself but not until after I get the press releases up for everyone.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well here I set filled with gloom. The authorized Leica dealer in Austin, Texas has nothing planned for 09/09/09.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Jono

Normally that would be 'your', unless of course you are using the special Mancuso version of English.
    Deary me. It must be catching, or perhaps it was the excitement of the prospect of the steak dinner!
    As for the Vodka Guy; you can drink as muck as you like as long as you are paying!

It seems to ne 5am. I'd better gat out of bed.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The local large camera shop (Samys) sent me an invite to an in-store Leica thing. So even LA gets to play (of course we'll be late to the party, as they aren't going to open up at 6am pst).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My guess on all this and no insider stuff. Most likely a M9 certainly would not bet against it now after all this data but like it has been going around 18 mpx FF and I am going to lose a steak dinner on this one but I think it maybe a 6.8 and not a 6 micron sensor. Jono gets a nice steak dinner here if I'm wrong at least one of us get's to eat. LOL I bet on 6 micron and him on 6.8 this is still up for grabs. LOL

But seriously I think you will see whatever is announced out immediately. Leica has turned over a few corners that most do not know about and the company divided itself up internally like into groups which is actually a smart thing to do they have there M folks the S folks and whatever is the other division internally but this promises more quickness on there feet for lack of a better term. But i will say this Leica will NOT have another M8 on there hands and my bet here is this has been secretly in the works for some time if it truly is a M9. There is nothing quick about this coming to the streets. If it was it may have been the S2 sensor instead if it was a quick to get out the door.Leica most likely took a lot of the suggestions that many of us had and started developing this at a stage when they thought FF would work out. Also I can tell you this much without getting in any trouble all this was done in house including the firmware. So leica has complete control on it and most likely most of there products going forward. They been burned before on the DMR and the M8 so those issues get the award for them. In the end maybe one of there smartest moves. I think you will all see a new Leica this time around. That was the good news the bad is trying to rob a few banks to buy all this cool stuff. My wife already has gun and knife in hand just waiting for me to get stupid again. LOL

Do you mean she has upgraded from Prada to Tiffany, Guy?
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sigh....
    I wish I wish I wish
    crossing, finger toes, and of course, eyes (what!, no crossed eye smilie?)
    (( o)^(o ))
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Do you mean she has upgraded from Prada to Tiffany, Guy?
    Heck are you kidding she has a account at Tiffany's. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

It's fun to speculate, especially based on images seen in that promotional video.... so here goes my prediction as I stated elsewhere....

1. There wil be a M9, a full frame, possibly 18mp camera, with of course updated capabilities, but keeping with as much tradition as possible (bottom plate still needs to be removed etc....similar to the M8.2 ....in as conventional M type body as feesable. Bsically the camera everyone has predicting.

2. Second new camera might be a Leica compact CL type digital. Somewhat more entry level when compared to the M9 and less expensive than it. Interchangeable lenses, a 1.3x crop factor like the M8. This camera will replace the M8/M8.2 as the top of the line cropped sensor camera. Possibly 10-12 MP. As such its a clear difference and choice than the M9. Due to some other desirable changes (including faster loading of SD card and battery and possibly no need of UVIR filters (but can't be sure of this)....it will be a camera than current M8 and M8.2 owner might serious consider upgrading to. Will have conventinal viewfinder and I beleive this is the camera body seen in the images posted at the top of this thread...since the LCD screen appears smaller and no little counter window on the left side of the top plate.

Therefore the above two cameras are two different but serious possible upgrades for current M8/M8.2 users...which satisfies a number of criteria for Leica. For those that cannot or don't want to spend $8000.00 on a M9....but still want to upgrade to a more capable camera, but with Leica traditions upheld...there will be this New Leica Cl digital.

3. The last camera will either be a new compact digital camera. Could be micro 4/3rds, could be interchangeable lenses, might have Electronic viewfinder...or some or none of these features. I don't think images posted have anything to do with this camera. Simply a entry type level camera for those not following the traditional route and take current modern electronic advances as their primary interest. Leica then has given a non traditionalists a camera they might consider.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll take door number 2 since i have the monster already a little to go with some punch is what I am after. Frankly this one is what I am thinking myself use the M8 sensor and add the correct IR. Done deliver to my door please

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Hi All,

It's fun to speculate, especially based on images seen in that promotional video.... so here goes my prediction as I stated elsewhere....

1. There wil be a M9, a full frame, possibly 18mp camera, with of course updated capabilities, but keeping with as much tradition as possible (bottom plate still needs to be removed etc....similar to the M8.2 ....in as conventional M type body as feesable. Bsically the camera everyone has predicting.

2. Second new camera might be a Leica compact CL type digital. Somewhat more entry level when compared to the M9 and less expensive than it. Interchangeable lenses, a 1.3x crop factor like the M8. This camera will replace the M8/M8.2 as the top of the line cropped sensor camera. Possibly 10-12 MP. As such its a clear difference and choice than the M9. Due to some other desirable changes (including faster loading of SD card and battery and possibly no need of UVIR filters (but can't be sure of this)....it will be a camera than current M8 and M8.2 owner might serious consider upgrading to. Will have conventinal viewfinder and I beleive this is the camera body seen in the images posted at the top of this thread...since the LCD screen appears smaller and no little counter window on the left side of the top plate.

Therefore the above two cameras are two different but serious possible upgrades for current M8/M8.2 users...which satisfies a number of criteria for Leica. For those that cannot or don't want to spend $8000.00 on a M9....but still want to upgrade to a more capable camera, but with Leica traditions upheld...there will be this New Leica Cl digital.

3. The last camera will either be a new compact digital camera. Could be micro 4/3rds, could be interchangeable lenses, might have Electronic viewfinder...or some or none of these features. I don't think images posted have anything to do with this camera. Simply a entry type level camera for those not following the traditional route and take current modern electronic advances as their primary interest. Leica then has given a non traditionalists a camera they might consider.

Dave (D&A)
    Camera 3 might also be a pre-announcement for the "R-solution"for Photokina 2010
    JAAP
    http://www.jaapvphotography.eu
    The colours of my generation are black and white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
    Camera 3 might also be a pre-announcement for the "R-solution"for Photokina 2010

Camera 3 might also be an R-solution.

If I try to mix reality and wish-full thinking they will give us three choices:

1-use the R lenses with a new adapter with viewfinder-mirrorbox to use them on the M9

2-an existing ff (can-nik-sony) adapted for the R lenses

3-new mounts to (can-nik-sony)
    Last edited by gero; 1st September 2009 at 08:17.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Although Precision doesn't have anything for 9/9/9...we'll have something even better, later on in the month, when there will be something more to see and use besides simply watching a webcast at 8am Austin time. We are working on something now with our Leica rep.

Will post more details as things develop.

-Robert

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Well here I set filled with gloom. The authorized Leica dealer in Austin, Texas has nothing planned for 09/09/09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Considering Panny's release of the GF1 RF today, there's the possibility of a Leica-badged m43 RF being announced next week.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

didn't Leica pull some shenanigan's like this when the M8 came out? releasing a teaser partial shot every couple of days