The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who are these men and what do they know ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Just a coincident that all these members of the forum where photographed together in Germany. Those are Leica hats ! :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now that first guy knows how to drive a car. That guy in the trunk is Farkas getting out the throw up bags. He is going to need them. LOL

Seriously I actually liked the Cayman better than the 911

R

Ranger 9

They're on, what, the Wildly Expensive German Toys Tour?

nostatic

I club raced a prepped '79 911 for a few years, and instructed as well. I got the chance to drive a few student cars, and the Cayman is a very competent track machine. Out of the box it is more composed than the 911 when pushed to the limit. And with all the electronic trickery, it is easy to go fast compared to an old no-ABS, no-TractionControl car. If I had disposable income I'd buy a Cayman S in a heartbeat.

I went broke racing though. The $10K tranny rebuild was the last straw. Makes photography seem cheap by comparison. Only things worse are boats and airplanes...

Guy Mancuso

I'm afraid to ask. LOL

I know the 911 freaks just had a heart attack on what i said and I truly wanted a 911 since i was 6 years old . that is the car I wanted to own when I grew up. Still growing it seems. But seriously exactly what Nostatic said . We drove it really hard and it would just not break lose.

BTw this was a tour Roger, Mark , Woody, Al, David, myself a few others took in Germany and it was a Leica /Porsche tour . We spent 10 days traveling around Germany and 4 or 5 of them we drove Porche cars to get around. Plus we went on a Leica factory tour and did all kinds of fun stuff. Great images and all M8 and DMR shooters at the time. It was a leica Academy tour. Christian Erhardt was our leica representative on the tour.

Guy Mancuso

On a track no doubt in the Black Forest going through the twisty's no way would i want to break lose.

Riccis

Don't let Guy fool you... Leica provided all M9 beta testers with Porsches just in case they needed to take off when spotted by crazy forum members :D:D:D

dhsimmonds

We drove it really hard and it would just not break lose.
Guy, you are far too spoiled with your gorgeous Arizona climate! Try driving a 911 in typical UK weather and roads and you would soon be facing the other way!

There was a time when you could only buy a new 911 with a fast driving course thrown in...........of course you didn't need to take it, but the dealers were clear of any legal risks by providing it!

I'm only envious you realise, but my son-in-law owns a 911 but his next door neighbour has an Aston Martin DB7, now that really gets me hard!

Ah Ha! The secretive 09/09/09 presentation has to do with the fact that Porsche will install SDHC slots on all of its cars so that Leica owners can look at their M8.2 photos on the multimedia screen! Photos of Porsches will automatically have extra sharpness applied ....

Lloyd

These shots sure are nostalgic for me. 1972, picked up a brand new 911T in Germany (I was stationed there), for $8700.00! However, my monthly insurance premiums were more than my monthly car payments! I was transfered to Spain when our base closed, and had heard that my insurance would go up dramatically, so I sold the car. Turned out that I'd been given some false info, and my insurance would have been $50/year!! Oh well, I suffered through with an old Peugeot 404 for a while, and later an MGB GT. I still miss the 911.

nostatic

These shots sure are nostalgic for me. 1972, picked up a brand new 911T in Germany (I was stationed there), for $8700.00! However, my monthly insurance premiums were more than my monthly car payments! I was transfered to Spain when our base closed, and had heard that my insurance would go up dramatically, so I sold the car. Turned out that I'd been given some false info, and my insurance would have been $50/year!! Oh well, I suffered through with an old Peugeot 404 for a while, and later an MGB GT. I still miss the 911.
If you had that '72T now and it was in good condition, it would be a $30-50K care depending on the details. If it was a '72S, it could be 6 figures. The price of "long nose" 911s has gone through the roof the last few years...

The MGB-GT would likely be a pile of rust at this point. And of course the light still wouldn't work :p

Yes, I had a '73 S that my brother planted across a tire barrier at Grattan raceway during a cool down lap. Never fixed right and sold months later. Of the cars I've had I wish I had been able to keep that one; narrow, nimble and light. Still have my brother though.

Lloyd

If you had that '72T now and it was in good condition, it would be a $30-50K care depending on the details. If it was a '72S, it could be 6 figures. The price of "long nose" 911s has gone through the roof the last few years...

The MGB-GT would likely be a pile of rust at this point. And of course the light still wouldn't work :p
Yeah, I know... thanks so much for rubbing salt in the wound. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

And as for the MGB-GT, it was already rusting through after only two years.

woodyspedden

Now that first guy knows how to drive a car. That guy in the trunk is Farkas getting out the throw up bags. He is going to need them. LOL

Seriously I actually liked the Cayman better than the 911
Me too Guy

In fact I just bought a new white one last week. If you ever wanted a Porsche now is the time to buy. For example, based on the factory's $20,000 subsidy on 911's the starting price is now $89,100. I think you could take it home for under $85K which is awesome. The 2010's come out next month and banks are still not lending so they need to turn over all the 2009 inventory to get the cash needed to buy the new model year.

Happy highways

Woody