The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica m9 photo at Leica rumors

Terry

On LUF they have sort of said fake. Look at the wonky angle on the right hand side. Bad geometry, bad photoshop

D

ddk

Hi David,

Is this your way of discreetly leaking what's coming without getting in trouble with Leica?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly that looks pretty fake to me. I do like the idea of the X1. I still think Leica would be served very well with taking the M8 sensor and dropping it into some type of CL style body but with the 1.3 sensor and getting the price below 2k. My just chew up a lot of 4/3rds stuff out there

dseelig

Hey I just saw it and posted the link here. I have no relationship with Leica I am just a working photographer. David

R

Ranger 9

The M9 picture looks like a crude comp based on the mysterious upper-left-corner tease we all saw in the Leica video... but it's not much of a stretch to guess that the finished camera will look at least mostly like that. If they're calling it an M9, they can't get too far afield of the M "look."

The X1 thingie at least looks like a genuine physical object (maybe just a piece of wood with some parts-bin knobs glued on it) but its specs make me wonder from whence it comes. I can't believe it would be profitable for Leica to do all the engineering development on this type of camera; I suspect they worked with a partner, even if they're going to do the final assembly themselves so they can engrave the magic words "Made in Germany" on it.

If so, whom? If it were Micro Four Thirds, the obvious guess would be Panasonic. But it isn't.

Could this be why we haven't heard much about Samsung's rangefinder-shaped NX camera lately, after they released those tease photos and then came out with a DSLR-shaped lump instead?

V

Vivek

"X1" with live view would be superb! I don't care who made it. The cam appears to have a decent color as well.

If Leica can pull of the M9 and this (besides the S2 system), it is quite an astonishing achievement, indeed! :thumbs:

EDIT: This is no M camera. No digital CL either. It is purported to have a fixed auto focus lens.

It is a P&S digital cam.

nostatic

"X1" with live view would be superb! I don't care who made it. The cam appears to have a decent color as well.

If Leica can pull of the M9 and this (besides the S2 system), it is quite an astonishing achievement, indeed! :thumbs:

EDIT: This is no M camera. No digital CL either. It is purported to have a fixed auto focus lens.

It is a P&S digital cam.
So it is a DP-1.5 (35mm equivalent). For probably $1999. Not sure that is going to sway the u4/3 crowd. The reason u4/3 is popular is small *and* you can interchange lenses.

Not sure I get the market for that camera. I understand a fixed-lens small camera for $500-600. Not sure it is worth 3x that...

N

nei1

Give it a 24mm summicron and Im pretty sure I"d be a happy bunny.:Deven f2.8 raises a smile:)

nostatic

Yeah. Ricoh GRD III is there along with the DPs.
But GRD has a small sensor. As much as I like my DLux4, there are times that I want/need a better file. u4/3 or APS-C certainly will give it, but I'm not sure at what price and lack of flexibility.

R

Ranger 9

Also note that the specs in the rumor/leak say "traditional manual exposure operation"... with no mention of automatic exposure!

Could this be the first manual-exposure-only digital compact?!?!?

(No, I don't think so either, but I'll bet there are a few silverbacks out there who would say, "Hmph, that's exactly what I've been waiting for all these years...")

etrigan63

Rumored specs say it is a 12 Mpx APS-C sensor which would make Leica's previous statements about not making a m4/3 camera true.

R

Ranger 9

Yup -- you pop up the reflector, snap your M3 flashbulb in the socket beneath, and you're ready to go.

Leica often misses out on trends, so it's great to see they're right out front on a steampunk camera.