Post Thanks / Like

Leica m9 photo at Leica rumors

Leica m9 photo at Leica rumors and some other leica called the x 1
    www.leicarumors.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica m9 photo at Leica rumors

On LUF they have sort of said fake. Look at the wonky angle on the right hand side. Bad geometry, bad photoshop

Post Thanks / Like

ddk

Hi David,

Is this your way of discreetly leaking what's coming without getting in trouble with Leica?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly that looks pretty fake to me. I do like the idea of the X1. I still think Leica would be served very well with taking the M8 sensor and dropping it into some type of CL style body but with the 1.3 sensor and getting the price below 2k. My just chew up a lot of 4/3rds stuff out there
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I just saw it and posted the link here. I have no relationship with Leica I am just a working photographer. David

Ranger 9

The M9 picture looks like a crude comp based on the mysterious upper-left-corner tease we all saw in the Leica video... but it's not much of a stretch to guess that the finished camera will look at least mostly like that. If they're calling it an M9, they can't get too far afield of the M "look."

The X1 thingie at least looks like a genuine physical object (maybe just a piece of wood with some parts-bin knobs glued on it) but its specs make me wonder from whence it comes. I can't believe it would be profitable for Leica to do all the engineering development on this type of camera; I suspect they worked with a partner, even if they're going to do the final assembly themselves so they can engrave the magic words "Made in Germany" on it.

If so, whom? If it were Micro Four Thirds, the obvious guess would be Panasonic. But it isn't.

Could this be why we haven't heard much about Samsung's rangefinder-shaped NX camera lately, after they released those tease photos and then came out with a DSLR-shaped lump instead?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"X1" with live view would be superb! I don't care who made it. The cam appears to have a decent color as well.

If Leica can pull of the M9 and this (besides the S2 system), it is quite an astonishing achievement, indeed!

EDIT: This is no M camera. No digital CL either. It is purported to have a fixed auto focus lens.

It is a P&S digital cam.

ddk

Quote Originally Posted by dseelig View Post
    Hey I just saw it and posted the link here. I have no relationship with Leica I am just a working photographer. David
    Sorry, my mistake, confused you with another David.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    "X1" with live view would be superb! I don't care who made it. The cam appears to have a decent color as well.

If Leica can pull of the M9 and this (besides the S2 system), it is quite an astonishing achievement, indeed!

EDIT: This is no M camera. No digital CL either. It is purported to have a fixed auto focus lens.

It is a P&S digital cam.
    So it is a DP-1.5 (35mm equivalent). For probably $1999. Not sure that is going to sway the u4/3 crowd. The reason u4/3 is popular is small *and* you can interchange lenses.

Not sure I get the market for that camera. I understand a fixed-lens small camera for $500-600. Not sure it is worth 3x that...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah. Ricoh GRD III is there along with the DPs.

nei1

Give it a 24mm summicron and Im pretty sure I"d be a happy bunny.even f2.8 raises a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well am I the only one, or is the X1 a particularly ugly camera ? Sorry couldn't resist it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Yeah. Ricoh GRD III is there along with the DPs.
    But GRD has a small sensor. As much as I like my DLux4, there are times that I want/need a better file. u4/3 or APS-C certainly will give it, but I'm not sure at what price and lack of flexibility.

Ranger 9

Also note that the specs in the rumor/leak say "traditional manual exposure operation"... with no mention of automatic exposure!

Could this be the first manual-exposure-only digital compact?!?!?

(No, I don't think so either, but I'll bet there are a few silverbacks out there who would say, "Hmph, that's exactly what I've been waiting for all these years...")

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Well am I the only one, or is the X1 a particularly ugly camera ? Sorry couldn't resist it.
    No, you are not the only one

Keith

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rumored specs say it is a 12 Mpx APS-C sensor which would make Leica's previous statements about not making a m4/3 camera true.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the flush round thing on the right side of the photo is rumored to be a pop up flash.

Ranger 9

Yup -- you pop up the reflector, snap your M3 flashbulb in the socket beneath, and you're ready to go.

Leica often misses out on trends, so it's great to see they're right out front on a steampunk camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed...most interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Rumored specs say it is a 12 Mpx APS-C sensor which would make Leica's previous statements about not making a m4/3 camera true.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only thing interesting about this (if the rumor indications of the specs are correct) would be the price.

(It might boost the sales of DP-2.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually think that this might be real. It just strikes me as genuine. There are certain things that make me think so. If you look at the X1, doing that in photoshop would be extremely time consuming -- look at the reflections of the shutter speed wheel on the camera body -- these are real reflections, or at least ones that would require a lot of time to get right. Same goes for the reflections in the lenses. Also, the grip is very consistent with Leica's screw in grips -- if you look right under the lens, you can see a bit of a wheel -- this is likely the device for attaching the grip. It is surely completely removable. This camera is essentially a modern Leica Minilux/CM -- Leica has a penchant for making cameras like this, so it does not strike me as that surprising.

As for the M9 -- well, it looks just like the M8.2 with a weird edge and no little LCD on the top plate, which is also consistent with the video Leica released. The way they light these product shots, sometimes they look a bit unreal, but often they are real products. I remember the same thing from when the DMR was released.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They look real to me, too, Stuart. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'd love that little X1, depending on the price....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cinema 4D + photoshop + some tiny skill + a couple of hours and you could's say if it was real or fake.

nei1

The part that looks a little odd to me on the X1 is the size and position of the strap lugs.It wouldnt hang straight from those unless that little lens has some heavy glass.Or the camera body is very light.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Yup -- you pop up the reflector, snap your M3 flashbulb in the socket beneath, and you're ready to go.

Leica often misses out on trends, so it's great to see they're right out front on a steampunk camera.
    Destination: Warehouse 13

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This camera is essentially a modern Leica Minilux/CM -- Leica has a penchant for making cameras like this, so it does not strike me as that surprising.
    I think you are correct, Stuart. The CM (name) eluded me, earlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That X1 looks like an early prototype, not the finely polished industrial design that is Leica's trademark.

As a market strategy it makes sense though - start out with a rebadged Panasonic m43 in a Leica shell, make a few great primes at a price a bit below M lenses, then if the product does well make a premium quality "mini-M" in-house.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think these are fake. At least for the M9, it looks quite real. For the colors, two color are proposed : black paint and grey , should be quite near the R9 anthracite.
    See you Wednesday !!

---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    That X1 looks like an early prototype, not the finely polished industrial design that is Leica's trademark.

As a market strategy it makes sense though - start out with a rebadged Panasonic m43 in a Leica shell, make a few great primes at a price a bit below M lenses, then if the product does well make a premium quality "mini-M" in-house.
    My original guess was a rebadged GF1, but the prototype "spec" says fixed lens. I don't see the viability of rebadging then bringing in-house unless they are WAY marking up the rebadge. People might not swallow the likely 2x price increase for the "made in germany" tag but stranger things have happened. I do agree with them making high-end u4/3 lenses. I think that market is taking off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not know... after all rumor is rumor, just hearsay. I mean how bad can it get? Or where does it all end... The R10... Below is from leicarumor too...

"CanonRumors got a tip that the Leica M9 may be using a version of the 5D Mark II sensor. The rumor is that Canon and Leica are in negotiations for a full frame sensor that will be used in the upcoming Leica M9."

I think above from July 09

I think a high Mpixel M9 would be great. Maybe the be all to end all (except telephoto stuff), is my vote...

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I can believe the X1 is fixed lens easily, so many people bought Leica Miniluxes and CMs so Leica has/had quite a following in that regard. I had a CM for a while but I found the Contax T3 to be superior except for perhaps lens IQ. If Leica made the Sigma DP2 people would be all over it and commenting on the Leica glow/ Leica sensor, at the same time forgiving its issues because its a Leica. I'd say they will sell a lot of X1s.