The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 Brochure and Specs

R

Ranger 9

My credit card hit the wall long ago, so it won't be hitting the table anytime soon.

Further variations on this literary theme: Jaws hit the floor (when the actual price is announced) while spouses hit the ceiling (when the credit card bills arrive) and something hits the fan (shortly thereafter) leaving the imprudent purchaser slinking toward the garage to hit the hay.

And if there turn out to be any lurking issues similar to the M8's IR debacle, early adopters may hit the bars in order to hit the bottle, while Leica's reputation hits the skids.

Then again, we can go for a more positive spin: Maybe Leica will hit the mark and early adopters will feel as if they've hit the jackpot...

Hank Graber

The M9 sounds like a solid upgrade of the M8 -depending on what the price winds up being.

But the camera that interests me more is the X-1. If the image quality is there (close to M8 quality) and it does not have shutter lag issues I'd think about the X-1 as a reportage/street camera with a Zeiss or Leica VF and use a DSLR for everything else. It looks a lot like the tiny older Leica's. Hopefully, thats not just retro packaging.

Now if the low light capabilities of the M9 are far above the M8 that might change my thinking. By far above, I mean 2 stops -with a Lux that would be something really drool worthy. More res and incremental ergo upgrades are nice and welcome but won't do anything for me I can't already do with the M8 (which is already paid for).

Daniel

i notice that under all of its pictures are f stop information. i'm wondering if the camera estimates and records the aperture setting.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, KR does have a sense of humour ...

"Black napa calf leather butt-cover 14 869. This is a bottom half-case, with a cut-out for the rear LCD. Popular in San Francisco and Amsterdam."

Well, I thought it was funny. :ROTFL:

M

Mango

Btw, KR does have a sense of humour ...
KR is a great guy, I've emailed him and he responds with an open heart. He has no pretensions.

I loved the Leica Man writeup, I recognize some of the traits.

The Gilbert and Sullivan operetta is priceless, a classic. Anyone whose been through school with The Pirates of Penzance will appreciate it very much, but I'm dating myself.

Regards,
Mango