Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M9 Brochure and Specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M9 Brochure and Specs

I came across this on that other site. If this stuff is fake, someone spent a whole lot of time doing it:

Brochure: http://m9.leica-camera.com/res/dnl/e...h_RZ_low.1.pdf

Technical Data: http://m9.leica-camera.com/res/dnl/e...edaten_e.2.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: M9 Brochure and Specs

neither will download
    Sláinte

Robert.

Ranger 9

Nothing there. Download attempts time out.

But yes, people do spend a lot of time creating fake information.

nei1

I managed to see the site from the dpreview site link,this was real.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Those links are broken, FYI.

I'm hosting it directly, here:

http://litpixel.com/m9_brochure_english_RZ_low.1.pdf

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They looked real to me: a 40 plus page brochure, with photos and typical leica speak throughout. Given what I've seen lately, I guess it's possible that some lunatic spent a hundred hours creating it, but I doubt it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It certainly would take a lunatic to get the fonts and all of the formating into Leica "format".
    Interesting that the X1 is a CMOS sensor and they didn't get something made by Kodak. Wonder who made it? A year ago I would have been frothing at the mouth for the X1 but the m4/3 with interchangeable lenses is so much more flexible right now. That could change if the lens is amazing in combo with the body. I'm sure there are a ton of people that don't like m4/3 and will love the X1.

Ranger 9

Well, most of the 40+ pages were legacy info about the M7/MP, lenses, accessories, etc.

Still, I agree it looks very plausible. It would have been quite time-consuming to go through an existing brochure and search/replace out all the "M8" references and replace them with "M9" (although let's face it, most Leica M users are members of the leisure classes and have plenty of spare time to amuse themselves however they please.)

What I find most convincing about it is that if this WERE simply a fanboy fantasy, I suspect s/he would have fantasized more mouth-watering specs than a top ISO of 2500 and a viewfinder magnification of 0.68x! In other words, it's just good enough to be true, but not too good to be true.

Anyway, now we've got something to study between now and Wednesday. The next really interesting questions will be availability date and (ulp!) price...

PS -- If the brochure is accurate, its omission suggests that the M8 is no more. Sic transit gloria mundi...

Ranger 9

Further observations:

-- No more top-panel LCD, so I guess you have to turn on the main monitor to find out how many frames you've got left.

-- Looks as if you still have to remove the baseplate to change cards. I thought maybe that lump on the left end below the eyepiece might be a card door, but it looks too small.

-- Now we know how they avoided leakage of prototype spy photos: They shot the brochure pics in Cuba, that hospitable and photogenic police state where unauthorized reporting is, uh, not a good idea...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, no more M8.2 in the product line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The brochure also shows the X1 in the product line. I am very interested in the X1 in addition to the M9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Further observations:

-- No more top-panel LCD, so I guess you have to turn on the main monitor to find out how many frames you've got left.

-- Looks as if you still have to remove the baseplate to change cards. I thought maybe that lump on the left end below the eyepiece might be a card door, but it looks too small.

-- Now we know how they avoided leakage of prototype spy photos: They shot the brochure pics in Cuba, that hospitable and photogenic police state where unauthorized reporting is, uh, not a good idea...

The little door on the left is the (useless) USB port. If you want to swap batteries and cards quickly, buy Luigi's M-Mate2 baseplate (leicatime.com). I got one and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

No mention of sapphire LCD screen...

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    The brochure also shows the X1 in the product line. I am very interested in the X1 in addition to the M9.
    Yeah, but no specs! Did someone say there was a separate X1 spec sheet download floating around?

I'm not in the market for this kind of camera (especially not at Leica prices) but I'm interested in guessing its family tree, so I'd like to know whether its lens is interchangeable or not. All the romance copy says is "fitted with one of the very best Leica lenses".

Post Thanks / Like

Going thru the specs ...I can t find anything new beyond the new FF sensor? This of course is a huge deal ....but it has same viewfinder? same battery? same body design except top plate?

Makes sense ..like Nikon with the D3x ....all the reports said ...here is the new sensor everything else is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if David Alan Harvey shot the boxing series in Cuba. The images are fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Further observations:

-- No more top-panel LCD, so I guess you have to turn on the main monitor to find out how many frames you've got left......................
    The answer is the 8th image down on the page given by this link:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=32931593

Bob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Going thru the specs ...I can t find anything new beyond the new FF sensor? This of course is a huge deal ....but it has same viewfinder? same battery? same body design except top plate?

Makes sense ..like Nikon with the D3x ....all the reports said ...here is the new sensor everything else is the same.
    Dedicated ISO button, ISO adjustable in 1/3 stops, 80 lowest ISO setting to name a few....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An interesting snippet from the pdf brochure (p 21):

"TOUGH

People who take photography seriously usually live their lives at the edge; in searing heat or bitter cold, pouring rain or swirling dust. The M is built to be consistent, dependable, and tough under almost any imaginable conditions. This is why resilience and endurance are always prime concerns in the design and construction of every M camera."

Sounds rather weather-sealed to me....

Ranger 9

Funny, I was thinking that if it really WAS weather-sealed, they'd have said so straight-out, rather than spinning all that marketing romance about living life at the edge and the prime concerns of design.

It's like McDonald's Chocolatey Chip Cookies. If they really were chocolate chip cookies, they'd have been able to say so!

For contrast, here's what Canon says about the 1DS MkIII:

"Extensive weatherproofing ensures superior reliability, even when shooting in harsh environments. Rubber gaskets are used at nearly every joint and seam—including around the battery compartment cover, memory card door, and flash shoe—to keep out moisture and dust."
    Last edited by Ranger 9; 5th September 2009 at 11:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Dedicated ISO button, ISO adjustable in 1/3 stops, 80 lowest ISO setting to name a few....
    Modest improvements for a new model ... compared to viewfinder,battery,shutter , most of the body . Nothing wrong with the M9 spec but it really focused on the sensor technology.

Missing ?

(1)better ISO performance ..can t be much better if it tops out at 2500..thats 2EV more than 640 which I feel is the highest practical ISO on an M8..so I would expect maybe usable 1250..which is enough if 640 looks like 320 does on an M8.

(2)better weather sealing? the brochure highlights the durability but says nothing about weather sealing.

(3) 16bit color...this was confusing it implies 16bit in the discussion of LR but I could t find anything else ....I expect 14bit like the M8.

(4)built in diopter....no takes the individual diopters.

(5)longer lasting battery? not if its 3.7V 1900AMP same as M8.

(6)reduced lag time ..an M8 is slow compared to nikon D3. I can adjust for it most of the time but it bothers my friends that are working PJ.

All except the ISO performance seem reasonable trade offs in the interest in getting a FF camera into production.

Post Thanks / Like

..................................(5)longer lasting battery? not if its 3.7V 1900AMP same as M8...............................
    Since the camera has a much higher level of circuit/functional integration than the original multi sourced component M8 with it's many switching mode power supplies I would expect the number of exposures per charge to be significantly greater.

Bob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All except the ISO performance seem reasonable trade offs in the interest in getting a FF camera into production.
    And that you will find out on Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like

One upgrade not mentioned so far is that they've also added auto-bracketing - see under 'Complete Control of all Picture Parameters' on page 33. Could be useful in difficult lighting.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

nei1

That chunk taken out is plain ugly(not important);no weathersealing ??that is important.My money is going on a hotel for Mayfair .............Neil

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting for me is that widest frame will be 28mm not 24.
    So you would need for boeth 21 and 24 an external viewfinder.
    1 step higher iso and full frame and some more mp - will it be worth to upgrade?
    I guess will upgrade anyways-but I am not sure how much we will gain. I am glad its ccd and ni moirree filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This may have been covered someplace...has the viewfinder been enlarged or did I dream that? My one focusing eye could use it!!
    Best to all,

Reynolds

Post Thanks / Like

LCD res = 230k :(

Very disappointing!

Ricoh are using 920k screens on the CX1 and GRD3, yet Leica continue with the same low-res screen you will find on a $150 P&S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There's no mention of a sapphire glass screen cover, so is this going away to cut costs? I love the sapphire on the m8.2.

leica007

I think it's good that Leica has not used sapphire glass screen cover or any other fancy bells and whistles. This may have been done to keep the price low.

Did you guys notice one thing about the M9 brochure : the motif is boxing and Cuba - as the brochure says, in Cuba boxing is untouched and retains the spirit of fight between two men, nothing else.

I think it's allegorical - Leica is sending feelers to Canonikon that Leica is ready for a fight with its pure 18mp-16 bit- 2500iso tool. Bravo.

I have a strange feeling that Leica might surpise us with an attractive price - $7000-7500. [But yes, Leica can be notorious to price us out - just see what they have done with S2]

Btw, this is my first post at GetDpi , though I regularly follow it. I am a refugee from LUF. I have been temporarily banned (until 9.9.9 ) there because I broke the news and put up the links of M9 microsite and brochures ! and now the whole world is talking and posting about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: LCD res = 230k :(

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Very disappointing!

Ricoh are using 920k screens on the CX1 and GRD3, yet Leica continue with the same low-res screen you will find on a $150 P&S.
    Just snap your Luigi case over the back of the camera and you won't notice that the screen hasn't changed.

Seriously, several people here have been asking for features that appear on DSLRs that are more appropriate for fast-shooting machine guns like the D3 and 1DS. I still believe in "horses for courses" and I don't expect my M9 to have auto-everything nor my 5Dm2 to have pictures that don't suffer from an AA filter. The M9 also doesn't have a movie mode, and new DSLRs take HD movies! I am glad they're both made and I am fortunate enough to use them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Welcome to the forum! Hope you stay even after the ban lifts over at LUF. Anything more about yourself? name, website, images? Always good to see more Leica folks here (loving the M8, and looking forward to what's comin)

jim

Quote Originally Posted by leica007 View Post
    I think it's good that Leica has not used sapphire glass screen cover or any other fancy bells and whistles. This may have been done to keep the price low.

Did you guys notice one thing about the M9 brochure : the motif is boxing and Cuba - as the brochure says, in Cuba boxing is untouched and retains the spirit of fight between two men, nothing else.

I think it's allegorical - Leica is sending feelers to Canonikon that Leica is ready for a fight with its pure 18mp-16 bit- 2500iso tool. Bravo.

I have a strange feeling that Leica might surpise us with an attractive price - $7000-7500. [But yes, Leica can be notorious to price us out - just see what they have done with S2]

Btw, this is my first post at GetDpi , though I regularly follow it. I am a refugee from LUF. I have been temporarily banned (until 9.9.9 ) there because I broke the news and put up the links of M9 microsite and brochures ! and now the whole world is talking and posting about it.

Ranger 9

I have a strange feeling that Leica might surpise us with an attractive price - $7000-7500.
    Welcome to the world of relative sanity.

Re price, shall we start a pool? Because of all the "9" motifs in the marketing run-up, I'm betting on US $ 9,999...

leica007

Welcome to the world of relative sanity.

Re price, shall we start a pool? Because of all the "9" motifs in the marketing run-up, I'm betting on US $ 9,999...
    Well, as I mentioned [on RFF], Leica might price it above $8000, and very well $9,999, if they get obsessed with 9- this is not unusual given Leica's history. But in the UK '999' is the emergency number, we will make a call there, instead of a dealer

But the point is how many people will buy one at $10k?

Even $8K will bring down the number of prospective buyers considerably. Hence, we can just pray and hope that it's $7-7.5K. sanity is required on Leica's part too.

Leica wants to be the boxing campion:

" Even today, Cuba’s boxers train under the simplest .. conditions. Perhaps this explains why the sport of boxing in Cuba has retained its original character – as an authentic contest between two men, for fame and honor. .... the new Leica M9. ....What camera is better suited to telling the story of this up-and-coming boxing champion, authentically and vividly, than a genuine M. Discrete, compact, precise, lightning-fast, and, like the young Cuban, ready to claim a place among the best in the world. "

But, please, not at the best price

Post Thanks / Like

Place your bets...

I say approx $7700 - $7800 USD
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The M8.2 is gone from the product line....therefore I'm guessing $6500. Maybe optimistic? We'll see...

leica007

Quote Originally Posted by stevem8 View Post
    Place your bets...

I say approx $7700 - $7800 USD

Ah Steve, you are converting €5500 into USD !!! that's cheating

then I might say, it will be £4780 or even 5000 gbp.

in the USA things tend to get slightly cheaper [less tax? bigger market?]; you guys are lucky not to get ripped off like people do in Europe.

Hence, my bet is on 7500 USD , but being an optimistic [and recently got slapped on the face because of that, i.e. overestimating the freedom of expression in the liberal world !], let me spend my 2cents on a $7000 bet.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

If the price is right, I'm game. I'm sure a lot of other people are watching this camera as well. Let's hope Leica chooses wisely...

leica007

Btw, Steve , you haven't updated your "up-to-date M9 news" page?? got an NDA? ha, ha...

com'on, spill some beans!

ps: I love your reviews. great stuff. keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So far the lowest guesstimated price is $6,500. I am going guess $5,995 which is the same price as the M8.2 it replaces. I know that is probably wishful thinking on my part, but it is common for other camera companies to release new updated cameras for similar prices as the cameras they replace.

leica007

another rational speculation :

in germany : M8.2 = € 4875 [approx]
    rumoured price of M9 = € 5500

in USA: m8.2 = $6000 [rounded as on Bhphoto] [not directly Euro converted rate of almost $7000]

hence, the proportionate speculated price of M9 in the USA = $ 6800 = $7000 rounded or icing on the cake/ keep-your-spouse-happy price = $6999.99 [you get your share of 9s too!]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking between $6500 and $7000. Taking the €500 M8/M9 differential and adding it to the US price.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If it's $5,995 Leica will have made a serious statement...

leica007

If they sell it at $5995 - they will have to open another factory.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With the escape of the PDF brochure I cracked and had my dealer put an order in for me for either black or grey, whichever is easiest to source. I'm betting on a US price comparable to the converted euro price - if it's cheaper WOO HOO, if it's a lot more expensive ($8k+) then they'll lose a sale because I'll just buy it in europe on business.

The promise of FF, extra resolution and IR filtration are appealing but there's a point where I'll sit it out with my perfectly adequate M8.2 and wait for price sanity.

Ranger 9

...in the USA things tend to get slightly cheaper [less tax? bigger market?]
    Mostly no VAT, no universal health insurance, and until recently it was illegal for importers to enforce minimum retail prices (now it's on a case-by-case basis.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, I notice in the brochure PDF that the 135 APO-Telyt is covered with reference to the M9 also. However, there's a note: "The use of this lens on the M9 is recommended only when certain criteria are met, for example, it must be stopped down by at least two stops."

Any ideas why this lens would require this special restriction? I assume vignetting wide open perhaps? thoughts?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the 0.68 mag of the viewfinder combined with the RF baselength makes focus iffy on the 135.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think that's it because I've been using the 135 APO-Telyt with the M8 without problem. I guess it depends on your eyesight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm guessing $9999 on 9/9/9!