Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya 50mm Manual focus shift lens

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mamiya 50mm Manual focus shift lens

This is a older design and been around for some time now but I recently bought it from Jack and finally found the time to actually try the darn thing. On my P40+ a 3 shot stitch equals a 28mm focal length going horizontal but obviously cuts the middle of the frame out. Not doing any art here just wanted to see what happens.

So here is a 28mm shot of the area

Now with the 50mm shifted out completely

Left Side

Middle which is no shift just straight

Right side which you have to shift than rotate the lens around

Than stitch all three in CS4 and with a very minimal amount of cropping. I was not exactly dead on square here. Like a flat wall would be. But a very good result

3 shot stitch

As you can see it cut the top and bottom of the 28mm framing but gave me about a 100 mpx file
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya 50mm Manual focus shift lens

Yes I tried to rip that darn pole out which would have made this a decent image. Oh well it's a test. Now time to go put it to good use
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can I have it back now?

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No way dude. LOL

One thing also is the ability to be high on a ladder leveled so no converging lines looking down but keeping the lens straight and just lowering the lens for framing. This is a great advantage sometime when shooting. Some would say you can fix that in CS4. But just not the same, no need to twist your files in a knot.

[email protected]

I just wanted to share my experience with that fantastic 50mm. Great lens with beautiful sharpness corner to corner, i think it's better then the 35mm by far. Here is an example, P45+, 35mm cropped for a 6x12 format look like and 100% segments. Then 50mm shifted all the way to the right and all the way to the left, stitched and cropped for 6x12.
    Michele

DolphinDan

Hi Guy,

I just got this lens and am not clear on how to shift the opposite/right way. Can you please elaborate or show a couple of pics about what you mean when you say "rotate the lens around"?

Namaste
    Daniel

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDan View Post
    Hi Guy,

I just got this lens and am not clear on how to shift the opposite/right way. Can you please elaborate or show a couple of pics about what you mean when you say "rotate the lens around"?

Namaste
    Daniel
    Daniel,

I also use this lens and what you have to do is set the shift to the left or right depending upon which way up you have it mounted. Then, you literally rotate the entire assembly around (there's some tension in the lens assembly) so that your shifted lens is now on the other side. The trick is doing it without shifting your focus setting since you have to rotate the lens by holding it close to the body.

Hope that helps.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

DolphinDan

Thanks Graham,

That did the trick. For some reason I could not rotate the lens 180 degrees freehand, but when I attached it to the camera it rotated just fine. Who knows why...; the main thing is, it works. Thanks for your help :-)

Namaste
    Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

Is theis lens the Mamiya Sekor C 50mm f4 shift lens? Would you recommend it for use with a phase 645 camera?
    Thanks for your input.

John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ren into this very old thread googling for this lens and guess what: Guy touched and tested it already a long time ago for me.

I just found one, converted to a Hasselblad mount and I am going to use it with an adapter on my Pentax 645Z.
    Looking forward to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just bought one of these in very nice condition to use on my 645DF with the P25+ back. I am looking forward to trying it out someday, if it ever stops snowing here. Really wishing I was in AZ etc now with conditions like those in Guy's photos above.

Gary

I like to leave this part of our deck untouched to see how much accumulates, but I will have to clean it off soon.
    We still have at least 3 months of winter yet to come.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post