Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leica 75mm Summarit Vs Leica 75m, Summilux

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica 75mm Summarit Vs Leica 75m, Summilux

I think the Lux has lower contrast until about F4 or 5.6 than it comes alive with more contrast. So as it stops down it looks sharper there. The Summarits which is interesting has the same contrast levels from wide open to stop down, it really never changes like a Lux does and i am expecting the Cron to act the same way as the Summarits. Plus the Lux will focus shift to and honestly the Lux exposures do vary , i had to correct a little on every test the exposure values with the Lux wide open. In technical terms the Lux is not a good lens if you know what I am saying. Technically the Cron and Summarit are better. Now i don't mean look but what I do mean is technical performance the contrast varies, the lens focus shifts, and the exposures vary from different apertures so from a purely technical aspect it is not as good as a Cron or Summarit . What makes the Lux nice is the look and we all love that look but it also is a sharp lens when you put it into it's zone.

Interesting how you discover these things as you compare lenses
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 75 cron will be here Tuesday so i will redo all the test again with all three leica lenses. It's a rainy weekend here so nothing nice to shoot.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Huwge

I am finding the 75 Summarit a great addition to the bag, it performs great from its widest aperture and through the range. The only niggle is that the bokeh is not as reliable as the 'lux. I am away from home at the moment so can't attach the images but the 'lux is always creamy whereas in difficult light the Summarit can sometimes deliver a somewhat angular effect in the swirls of out of focus areas but you do really need to chimp to see this. I have not yet printed beyond A4 and think that will be the key test in the comparison with the 'lux but boy is it easier to hand hold.

Huw

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What are the pros and cons between the 75mm Summarit and the 90mm Summarit (and the two focal lengths in general on a rangefinder camera) - i.e. qualitywise and also handlingwise (focusing) ?
    If this is too off topic, just tell me to start another thread about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly about the same you almost have to look to check which one is on the body . The 90 just a touch longer but they seem to perform exactly the same and the same focusing throw which is short.

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't that wild about my initial test shots. I spent some time at a friend's daughter's birthday party Saturday. Seven-year-olds can be kind of messy but it made for good color. All these were shot with my 75mm Summarit, I believe at 2.8. The last image (the birthday girl post cake) is a touch out but I wanted to include it because of the bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks pretty darned good to me but I prefer the boke of the 75 Lux.

Best

Woody

Huwge

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Looks pretty darned good to me but I prefer the boke of the 75 Lux.
    Me too, but given the price differential and the ability to get away with much slower speeds handholding the Summarit is a real contender and punches above its weight.
    Huw

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The cron comes today so hoping for some sun to run the 75 trio test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Huwge View Post
    Me too, but given the price differential and the ability to get away with much slower speeds handholding the Summarit is a real contender and punches above its weight.
    Huw
    Agree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have had the 75 lux since it was the only 75mm lens (there are now 3 more!), but I still have not seen a good reason to switch. I did buy a 75 cron last year thinking that the lighter weight and added performance would make a difference, but to be honest, I never use it. I am going to sell it when I get back to the states. The only real difference is that the summilux is faster, has nicer bokeh and is not quite as sharp at f/2 to f/4. After that, the differences are academic...to me at least. Don't get me wrong, the 75 cron is a killer lens, it is just not AS killer as the lux in my mind. The sharpest, most modern and most contrasty lens is not always the best, and in this case I don't think anyone has surpassed old Dr. Mandler's masterpiece.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart you make excellent points no question. Check out the new test I just too

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Guy,

I'd love to see a test against the newer design 75 Cron APO. The 75 Lux, while very nice is also a spherical design. How does the 75 Summarit stack up against the latest and greatest APO ASPH?

David
    Hi David,

That Cron is in the tests I did so it will be part of an upcoming review. Guy's testing and my own should complement each other. OK, just saw that Guy got one too so we'll have a couple of comparisons of those two.

I've just finishing up the testing of the Pentax K mount lenses. Then I can start writing those reviews and the reviews of other three Summarits while I'm testing the three small sensor cameras.

Cheers,

Sean
    Last edited by Sean_Reid; 13th December 2007 at 17:49.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    It was interesting to see the CV 75 in there. I'm hoping Sean will have it head to head with the Summarit. I've been impress with mine.
    Yes - 75 Summarit, 75 Cron, CV 75

Between Guy, Mark Gowin and myself, there should be lots to chew on.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I have both lenses, the 75 CRON and LUX and I like both of them.

Having said that, the size and weight of the 75Cron is the clear plus for travel and all day carrying around, as is the superb IQ from wide open. If I really need a fast lens and want to make use of shallow DOF etc, then the Lux is the favorite - say in a concert or for a special occasion.

If I had to buy today and could only afford one of them, I would pretty sure go for the Cron.

canon5dshooter

Somebody needs to throw in some 'lux portraits. Wide open of course! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

The 75 lux is a favorite of mine. It lived on a 0.85 M7 and saw little time on the M8, partially for the 100mm FL but I found it hard to nail wide open on the M8, (easy on the M7). The M9 gets along beautifully with the 75 lux though, and in general I find the M9 easier to focus. So more to the thread, I got a CV 75/2.5 and found it "soft" on my M8, thought it might need adjusting. I just tested it on the M9, at 2.5, closest distance, and (100% crop)......

As Sean says, it really does a great job. Having the Lux, I'm happy to have a cheaper lighter walk around 75 than the summarit. best....Peter

aprillove20

Anyways, the little Summarit is really nice. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like

fond of the CV 75 on the M8
    Last edited by Geoff; 22nd May 2013 at 20:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think, personally, that there is 3000-4000 dollars worth of difference I can see...
    Michael

Leica and Canon

Darrell

I don't see a difference. Both great lenses. One of my favorite lenses ever was my 75mm f1.4, hated selling it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a 75/1.4 factory 6 bit that focuses perfectly on both my M9s ... and the Leica 1.4X mag never come off one M9 for using the 50/0.95 and this 75/1.4 ... and 90mm. The mag makes a huge difference in rate of keepers at these focal lengths.

-Marc