Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica 75mm Trio Comparision Lux,Cron,Summarit

It's to far a distance i focused right on the bark and the curb is soft
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It's to far a distance i focused right on the bark and the curb is soft
    I meant the black pavement/road between you and the curb. It isn't in the crop, so as I said, I am just guessing.

If that is not is, there is a problem with the lens. I noticed on your first shots that the large rock on the right side of the frame was sharper than the center of the frame. I just figured it was focusing. If that is not it, the lens has a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks it a little but were talking ten ft. at least. test 1 maybe more accurate but I'm burnt out on this. i need to ship these back tomorrow maybe in the morning i can run a quick one again. I will go back to the other body too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy:

This is what I meant. The sides are sharper than the middle of the lens. The only way to tell if it is the lens is to shoot a scene at infinity and see if the sides are still shaper than the middle to rule out a focus problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not asking you to redo it! I think you have provided more than enough samples. I just thought the last one was off, particularly compared to the other ones. I would say don't bother doing any more tests...the point is pretty clear. The summilux has 1.4, but the cron and summarit are sharper and smaller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Stuart and it maybe this body i switched to today . I actually grabbed the wrong one. I still may do something in the morning the scarecrow stuff looking more accurate than what came out of this body today which i need to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the hard work Guy. You have confirmed my findings that the 75mm Summarit is an excellent lens. You also confirmed my difficulty in finding a suitable sharpness test subject which has enough texture/detail and is flat enough to remain in the plane of focus.

Based on what I see here, I think the Cron has slightly more saturated colors than the Summarit.

workingcamera

I mentioned this earlier… but when you think that the 75 Summilux design is nearly thirty years old it does stack up relatively well against the flash new boys. You can see why it was so high regarded back in its heyday. Says something for the genius of Walter Mandler.

Depite the new offerings and todays ability to ramp up ISO, I still think there is room in the Leica line for a 75 Lux. It’s just such a great reportage lens.

roberth

I get to do a dance rehearsal shoot on Tuesday with the 75 cron, borrowed the lens. Looking forward to using it, feels very nice on the camera.

Sean_Reid

The other thing to is Seans test of these also and i would like to see what he came up with in regards to the 75 CV lens in his test
    Hi Guy,

I'll get there someday. All the testing and illustrations are done, I just need time to prep and write. Buried...

Cheers,

Sean

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    LOL - no, I'm trying to ensure that you stay worse than me!

here is the nice 50mm (really is small too)

50 sonnar at robert white

I think there are only two of them, he other being an 85mm f2:

85 sonnar at robert white

Perhaps you should have one of these to add to your summarit 90mm test? It seems only sensible that you should.
    The Zeiss 85 was in my 90 mm Summarit test and the production version I tested was outstanding! Mostly we're just spoiled for choice in M lenses.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

this is such a frustrating thrread. Great info but I am confined to my iPhone until Monday but all the pictures look the same on my screen!

Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    The Zeiss 85 was in my 90 mm Summarit test and the production version I tested was outstanding! Mostly we're just spoiled for choice in M lenses.

Cheers,

Sean
    Nearly as outstanding as the test
    I quite agree, we're spoilt for choice, and perhaps the only sensible answer is Guy's:
    BUY THE LOT!
    Mind you, if popflash are selling the ZM 85 for $900, I'd say buy a dozen and put them on ebay.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    this is such a frustrating thrread. Great info but I am confined to my iPhone until Monday but all the pictures look the same on my screen!

Terry
    Angels dancing on the heads of pins!

Hi Terry - I read a lot of it on my iphone too (surprisingly good colour though isn't it).

I'm really grateful to Guy, who's done a splendid job, it's a suitable companion to Sean's excellent work.

Still, it seems to me that if you want fast you buy the lux, if you want sharp, then you can buy either the 'cron or the summarit, if you want close focus or good bokeh, then you buy the 'cron, if you want small size and you don't mind a little CA, then you get the summarit.

Whichever one you buy is going to do a fine job.

Unlike most of these tests, which leave me in a terrible 'have I got the right one' quandary, I'm still really pleased with my 'cron, which is one of my most used lenses - I wouldn't swap.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono,
    the iPhone is an incredible tool and the screen has great color but still I have to laugh because it is impossible to see the nuances from a lens test.

In 75 I have the CV2.5 which I have been very happy with. I also own the 90 macro-elmar. I haven't used either enough to warrant another new lens (yet). I am looking forward to Sean's test which will include the CV.

Since getting the M8 I've been a kid in a candy store - oh a very expensive candy store!

terry

Hi Terry - I read a lot of it on my iphone too (surprisingly good colour though isn't it).

I'm really grateful to Guy, who's done a splendid job, it's a suitable companion to Sean's excellent work.

Still, it seems to me that if you want fast you buy the lux, if you want sharp, then you can buy either the 'cron or the summarit, if you want close focus or good bokeh, then you buy the 'cron, if you want small size and you don't mind a little CA, then you get the summarit.

Unlike most of these tests, which leave me in a terrible 'have I got the right one' quandary, I'm still really pleased with my 'cron, which is one of my most used lenses - I wouldn't swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono you pretty much nailed it. The nice part is we have those choices , even though it does make it harder. But you don't get these choices with any system but the M line.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Thanks for the hard work Guy. You have confirmed my findings that the 75mm Summarit is an excellent lens. You also confirmed my difficulty in finding a suitable sharpness test subject which has enough texture/detail and is flat enough to remain in the plane of focus.

Based on what I see here, I think the Cron has slightly more saturated colors than the Summarit.
    Come to VT, I've got one. <G>

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My testing is done I sent the lenses back today ,just ran out of time today. had a paying gig. Always a good thing

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My testing is done I sent the lenses back today ,just ran out of time today. had a paying gig. Always a good thing
    Well, Thank You Guy.
    you did a grand job, much better than we deserve.
    I'd like to think that we all drew the same conclusions . . . but I don't think so!

thanks again

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono . I'm still in debate. LOL

But money is the holding card right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I'm off to Flagstaff will check in don't burn the house down. Some shooting time for me to go have a little fun

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono . I'm still in debate. LOL

But money is the holding card right now.
    Isn't it always?
    Anyway, have a great time. I shall be off to Cornwall next Friday for the Christmas holiday, which is something to look forward to

Just this guy you know

roberth

I have been trying out a 75mm cron over the weekend, a wonderful lens but I find the framelines terribly innacurate. It was not until I looked at the M8 manual that I knew which to follow, previewing photos taken directly after taking them gave me very little in the way of clues, close work compared to distant were very different. I guess I will become used to it and just compensate for distance as I get used to it (if I can afford the lens).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this old thread for the first time and read it in its entirety. Very interesting.
    The results and conclusions presented here seem to have stood the test of time.
    Clash of Titans - Leica User Forum
    Terrific. Many thanks.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 27th October 2014 at 23:59.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think this test shows that at web resolutions and sRGB, all three lenses are excellent.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    I think this test shows that at web resolutions and sRGB, all three lenses are excellent.

True - but also so different, going by the stated opinions of well known folks.
    (I happen to own the cron but thinking of adding the lux.)
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I was considering the 75 APO but bought the Summarit instead and glad I did. Its a stunningly sharp lens, has wonderful colour and contrast and bokeh is pretty decent in my use. It just lacks a fast aperture which I don't use with M lenses beyond 50mm anyway.

Some examples here: A7R with Leica 75mm Summarit-M

I'm sure the APO can be better at times and it is of course faster, but at double the price. I just could not justify that and was bowled over by the Summarit-M.