Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodenstock 28mm HR VS Schneider Super Digitar 28XL

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrow Rodenstock 28mm HR VS Schneider Super Digitar 28XL

Hello GetDPIi Members,
    Several weeks ago on our Death Valley workshop I had the opportunity to use the Rodenstock 28mm HR lens on my Cambo AE tech cam. Since than been wondering quite a lot how a 28mm would fit into my current setup. What was not on the workshop was the Schneider 28XL and I really wanted to try that out before making a final decision. I called one of GetDPI's site sponsors and sponsor on our workshop Dave Galagher from Capture Integration. The call lasted 30 seconds and went like this Dave I want to try the SK 28 answer it's on its way brand new with a Rodie 28mm Brand new, thanks Dave your only getting one back, the question is which one. So they arehere and they are both very different looking in several ways but the SK 28 is a anniversary edition 28mm which I just happen to have a Cambo Anniversary edition tech cam. Louis Vuitton has nothing on me now. Match body to lens unheard of. Yea Yea Yea I'm over it , show me the results.

So over the next posts I did compare the two lenses side by side by side and by side again. You have to ask yourself how many freaking times did I switch lenses and on a tech cam that is not exactly fun having your 60 mpx sensor floating in the wind, so bear with me and dust spots. LOL

Okay so here is how they physically look and Cambo uses these bully bars on the lenses to protect them. I HATE them and take them off. Nice to have options. Tool 10 Torax

I took several images with both lenses rotated in the same direction so you can see the layout all around.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Rodenstock 28mm HR VS Schneider Super Digitar 28XL

Also let me go over some technical details so you now what i am using in the field testing these two together. First thing a RRS tripod Series 2 and a Arca Swiss Cube as my base. Yes I have been assimilated completely on my own doing (long story).
    Phase One IQ 160 = 60mpx 6 micron sensor
    Cambo Anniversary Model http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium...on-wrs-ae.html

Added Note:
    Now both lenses are without the TS option which is Tilt and Swing. But only the Rodie can come in this mount not the SK. The extra cost varies on lens but 1200-1500 is the average price for this upgrade at the factory. Question you have to ask yourself with a 28mm do you need it. Sure it would be nice but from 6 ft to infinity at F11 is nothing to sneeze at in focus. This comes down to a personal decision. I am not opting for it either way as I feel I don't need it and when I do get in a situation say low to the ground with a close foreground I can focus stack two shots.

Most shots taken at F8.5 or F11 I will note on posts which and all shots shot with LCC cards. All outdoors shots around 8:30 mountain time here in Phoenix Arizona. Another bright Sunny Day.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lens FALLOFF

First thing I would like to do is show exactly what the falloff of each lens is doing at a given movement. Lenses like the 28mm only have so much movement to fit these tight image circles the wide angles have. In both cases the Image Circle is 70mm for each lens.

In this test on a horizontal sensor ( landscape mode) I used rise on each image to see exactly what the falloff looked like on the LCC BEFORE corrections. My reasoning here is to see how the falloff looks and see if the new Technical Wide Analyze tool in Capture One would make this a easy task to make the correction or the falloff is so bad that we will need center Filters to even out the light falloff across the frame not to mention lens casts that also would be present.

Now from previous experience with the Rodenstock it looked to me that 7mm of movement is possible before bleeding too far into the image circle to cause mushy corners. In this test I shot in 4mm increments of rise so one the corners of each image we can see where it starts to make that transition from sharp to well lets call it mush and unusable. Let me be very clear here I AM NOT USING CENTER FILTERS.

So in the following images you will see Zero movement, 4mm, 8mm and I did 12mm as well to go well over the mark.

As you will see in Rodenstocks wonderful wisdom they use a disk inside their lenses to let you know when that falloff happens. Re read that please. Now my response to that is okay you are telling photographers to stop there and not push it any further. What are we morons. This is stupid folks. Why you ask well if we are out shooting and we want more sky and drop into that unusable area we get lens cutoff , well folks there is no detail in the sky and we may want more anyway. We don't follow rules this is ART we may want 30mm of sky in a image. You can tell this is not making me happy , no one puts handcuffs on what I want to do. Schneider on the other hand says go as far as the wind will take ya . Big bonus point for Schneider. LOL

Honestly I can see why Rodenstock does that and it IS helpful but it is also a restriction if you dare go where you are not supposed to. Why does the movie Easy Rider pop in my head on that comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So a little workaround since I shot kind of early in the morning the LCC are very warm and hard to tell the magenta cast in the SK and Banding in the Rodie. So I corrected one of the LCC and copied the WB settings than went back reset it and applied the correct WB numbers to all the LCC and applied and that is what you will see here. Once i correct each LCC those same numbers will be applied to the image. This trick was for you to be able to see the falloff and color casts in each setting. I also applied a small watermark to each so we know exactly which is which. NOW the GOOD news here and this was from the other day and i want to make this very clear again. The tech. analyze tool in C1 corrected every setting perfectly even on a 20mm movement which was riddled with a magenta cast. Before this new tool was made you could not fix that. This is great news since basically for IQ 160 users we can maybe get away without a CF filter. On IQ 180 which we all know is worse on the 5.2 micron sensor and the extreme pixel angle the magenta cast bleeds much worse. What the IQ 180 users need to figure out here first of all which one is best for you and do you need a CF. I think the answer will be Rodie and CF and we can certainly talk about this but for instance this magenta cast on the SK will be much worse on the IQ 180 given each movement and it will put more strain on the LCC correction to make the LCC settings applied to the image to be on target. IQ 160 and most Leaf backs may not have this issue and we will see if the corrected LCC are good through the whole frame and see if we need a CF or not with the SK 28. So these are things we need to look at going in this test.

The issue here with putting strain on the LCC to correct heavy falloff is it can introduce noise in the corners of the frame since it maybe correcting several stops of exposure. If this happens within the 7 or 8mm of rise that we speculate here on this lens with movements than you will need a Center Filter. So lets see what happens here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I am going to put each increment of 4mm together with each lens

First up Zero Movements.

4MM Rise

8MM Rise. Now the most likely will be the worst it gets before you hit mush and the Rodie disk is cutting into the image

12mm because i went that far. LOL

Now you can see a definitive magenta cast on the SK lens throughout the range and it does clean up nicely as I will show you next. The question here is that 12mm going to be equal pretty much to say a 8mm IQ 180 if that is the case it will clean up also. I have no answer on that but a decent guess.

Now on the Roadie on the 8mm rise i can see banding which also cleans up on the corrected LCC. Hopefully at this point you are getting a good idea on performance but we are far from done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now let me show you why seeing the LCC before correction is immaterial what really counts is does it correct all that falloff and color cast when you correct the LCC. On the SK at 12mm is way beyond any useful detail but going back to my rant above I can use that in the sky for a image and who cares i get to use that and I may want 10mm more of sky.

Now look how the LCC really cleaned up the magenta cast. This is pretty amazing how much this cleaned up compared to several months ago when we did not have the Tech Wide Analyze tool. Warning this 12mm of movement we could have noise in the corners as I talked about earlier and looking ahead here it does happen. This was another test I wanted to run and good to see it came up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FALLOFF CORNER SOFTNESS

This test really only concerns the left side of the frame at the very top to see when we go from sharp to getting into the image circle softness when we make movements . Again I am using the landscape frame since it is the longest side and moving up in the image circle in 4mm increments. These are all corrected with there LCC than adjusted the exposure to match. This is NOT a SHARPNESS test as I was slightly off on the SK. That comes after this test but certainly you can get a good idea. I am also level the building is old and has its issues. Like old men starting to lean. LOL

I shot these at F8.5 early in the morning so they have some warmth to them and i exactly 10Ft 5 inches from the wall. Yes that is me.

As you will see in the 12mm rise shot the noise popped in as it exceeded the correction in the LCC. Now if this was at 8mm I would say immediately get a Center Filter but the lens is mush at 12mm anyway and you will never get here. I am just over exceeding the lens capability because I can. LOL

Zero Movements

4mm rise

8mm Rise

12mm unusable Noise in the SK and cutoff in the Rodie as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets cut to the chase since we know it is around 7mm the limit on both these lenses . Here are the top left corners of both these lenses and right around the middle of the star it is starting to go. I would call it a 7mm max myself but certainly you can go to 8mm or more with the SK and make some corner sharpness adjustments in C1. But at 12mm noise will set in

Okay your out shooting and you need to go beyond the 7mm to get lets say the top of the building. Here is a simple workaround go to your 7mm rise . Than tilt the camera back and get what you need to get than in C1 use the very fine Keystone tool and straighten out the rest. Get the shot and use the workaround if you need it. No shame in a little creative cheating.

This are the 8mm rise images

Schneider 28mm

Rodie 28mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

COLOR AND SHARPNESS

I know your all asking which is sharper. You be the judge both shot at infinity with proper LCC out of the can no WB on these or any image just going with what comes out of the back. Here is where I like the Schneiders better is the color but that is me.

Honestly I can't tell who is sharper but I will tell you one thing . IT DOES NOT GET BETTER THAN THIS. This is Medium Format baby.

Little remenant of the Nikon D800 thread.

100 percent crops
    SK than Rodie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also I am not WB these images so color can certainly be adjusted to your personal look and style. Both lenses render slightly different in this regards and It would be hard for me to get the look you like. I tend to like the Schneiders only because the rest of my lenses are Schneiders. This is something you have to think about when buying if you go Rodie do you stay rode in the whole line. I advice folks of this which is stay with the same brand with your glass so you can make presets and/or styles. Neither brand is wrong or right just slightly different and i want to make that clear as mud. May not look good here but with your adjustments is what really counts. Thanks Bob for bringing that up. LOL

Frankly folks both these lenses are just kick *** and I am having a really hard time making any kind of decision and it may certainly not come down not based on image quality but on other factors. Both these lenses are killer good and I love the focal length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DISTORTION

I see a slight amount in the Rodie

Thats it for now. I may run out and shoot some more this morning. This review is now live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes i was playing with falloff on the two images above . Something I will look into today shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent comparison Guy, thanks for posting this.

Re distortions: the SK design should render 2nd order -- barrel or pincushion -- distortions and generally it's barrel on short lenses. On retro designs like the Rodie, we should see 3rd order wave or mustache shaped distortions. And I believe I see both of those in these respective lenses, so they behave as anticipated.

Color cast: Here I fear that the SK cast on the 160 sensor is severe enough it could be un-usable on the 180 sensor -- your thoughts?

IC: Here I am a little surprised as the stated IC for the Rodie 28 was the same as the for the 23, and I only got 3mm rise when I tested it. The fact you got a clean 7, and 7 is pretty decent on a really wide lens, so it has moved me in that direction off the 23
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

It seems as though both lenses are equally as sharp, and there is a slight difference in the overall color tone, but nothing you could not change in C1 if you needed or wanted to.

It would come down to if you needed or wanted T/S on the lens, and it would be interesting to see how the Rodie would perform with some T/S to see if there was any distortion, but I would guess no, as both lenses are extrememly sharp.
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Re distortions: the SK design should render 2nd order -- barrel or pincushion -- and generally it's barrel on short lenses. On retro designs like the Rodie, we should see 3rd order wave or mustache shaped distortions. And I believe I see both of those in these respective lenses, so far so good.

Color cast: Here I fear that the SK cast on the 160 is severe enough it could be un-usable on the 180 -- your thoughts?
    I was thinking about the 160 vs the 180 as well.
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re distortions: the SK design should render 2nd order -- barrel or pincushion -- and generally it's barrel on short lenses. On retro designs like the Rodie, we should see 3rd order wave or mustache shaped distortions. And I believe I see both of those in these respective lenses, so far so good.

Color cast: Here I fear that the SK cast on the 160 is severe enough it could be un-usable on the 180 -- your thoughts?
    Without a CF i tend to agree with you. I do have the magenta on the sides as you can see with the safe zone of 8mm and my fear the 180 will go much deeper with that magenta cast and we could start introducing some bad stuff. I wish i had one here with me but Jack i think the Roadie is the safer bet for 180 users. Honestly either lens is awesome but for 180 users without a through test and CF go the Roadie is my advice. I really have no dog in this fight and trying to decide myself. I'm leaning to the SK but I seem to be okay with my 160 unless someone is seeing something crazy let me know . This is big expense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bryan,

Tilt capability and color cast issues seal the deal for me to the Rodie. Alpa's lens corrector is very good, and I suspect it can handle either lens easily!
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    It seems as though both lenses are equally as sharp, and there is a slight difference in the overall color tone, but nothing you could not change in C1 if you needed or wanted to.

It would come down to if you needed or wanted T/S on the lens, and it would be interesting to see how the Rodie would perform with some T/S to see if there was any distortion, but I would guess no, as both lenses are extrememly sharp.
    Yes Brian in that area they seem pretty equal . The one caveat is really closeup with a more slightly curved lens on the SK we could have a slight issue with that. Glad you brought this up at infinity its not a issue at all but maybe under that 6ft mark we could see some softening in the corners but nothing like the Phase One 28mm. This kicks its butt. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bryan,

Tilt capability and color cast issues seal the deal for me to the Rodie. Alpa's lens corrector is very good, and I suspect it can handle either lens easily!
    For the 180 users i agree Jack the color cast can be the real achilles heel. Tilt yes and no I'm a little on the fence here . Sure it would be useful no question but this sucker can project DOF damn well. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

As long as you don't ever think you'll want tilts on your 28, then I think it is toss-up -- both/either is an excellent choice. Resale value may be worth considering here, I would guess that because of the color cast and lack of tilt capability, the SK may fall behind the Rodie in the resale market, and may not even be a consideration for sensors larger than 60MP...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On distortion I would not give it a worry at all. This slight stuff can be corrected very easily. I thought I would shoot it since it was brought up on the forum. Hopefully this stuff helps folks out.

Honestly between us folks this is coming down to size and price. The Roadie is listed at 6999 without TS and the SK 6499 with no TS option. The SK i can keep on my body and get it into my bag the Roadie is too long. I have to switch it. That is how small the decision is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know their is a optical CF for the Roadie , trying to find out if their is one for the SK as well.

Post Thanks / Like

That Schneider looks amazing Guy and would be the one I'd go for.

Up until your distortion test I'd say totally equal but then seeing how little distortion the SK has totally blew me away, especially on such a wide lens. The specs I've seen on the SK state >0.7% and it show. So it might have slight barrel distortion but its so minute its almost not worth bothering with. The RS is just plain ugly straight out of camera and means another step correcting images.

And I know its doesn't make any difference but the SK will look amazing on your camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I know their is a optical CF for the Roadie , trying to find out if their is one for the SK as well.
    Digital only.

There should be a memory stick in with you lens with the software on. I got one with my 43XL that was released at the same time and has digital CF only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its in the box but I was told it was not out yet, so i did not even try yet. I wonder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I put it in the plugins/filter and i see nothing. Lost on this one

eiaa

Unfortunately activation is required. Very user friendly
    Digitalcenterfilter.com

Post Thanks / Like

I put it in the plugins/filter and i see nothing. Lost on this one
    It's in the filter menu of CS5 under the Digimarc option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eiaa View Post
    Unfortunately activation is required. Very user friendly
    Digitalcenterfilter.com
    Thank you. Just need to decide if i am getting it over the Roadie. Pulling hair out. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am squarely on the rodenstock side of this.
    les low angle sensor incidence, easy corrections when necessary, sharp sharp sharp. and BTW the rodenstock spec sheet sez to shift/rise n more than 2mm so that is probably what I would do.
    If you want a large image circle then there is always the Rodie 32 (I have a secret lust for this lens LOL)
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I am squarely on the rodenstock side of this.
    les low angle sensor incidence, easy corrections when necessary, sharp sharp sharp. and BTW the rodenstock spec sheet sez to shift/rise n more than 2mm so that is probably what I would do.
    If you want a large image circle then there is always the Rodie 32 (I have a secret lust for this lens LOL)
    -bob
    LOL for a 180 shooter you should be. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

and one more thing.
    The more deeply varied the LCC, the more DR you lose in those areas and by an amount that is often color dependent.
    My guess from the samples is about 2 or more stops
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

According to the Schneider photo product manager, Ulrich Eilsberger, there is an optical CF for the SK 5.6/28mm. The filter's product-no. is 1069159.
    So far I haven't been able to find any information about this filter nor a price. I am still wondering if he was talking about a different lens :-)

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thats on both lenses but the SK is a little brighter in the middle. Im going back out with the SK and try some more stuff. Me and one lens. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    According to the Schneider photo product manager, Ulrich Eilsberger, there is an optical CF for the SK 5.6/28mm. The filter's product-no. is 1069159.
    So far I haven't been able to find any information about this filter nor a price. I am still wondering if he was talking about a different lens :-)

Chris
    Thanks Chris. I sent Rene from Cambo a e-mail and also Dave at CI. So far no answers yet. I really like the SK it just comes down to that but I would like having a CF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot this right at 7mm of rise looking for noise on the top right corner this was the noise test to see if i am specifically having issues with the LCC creating noise without a CF filter. Both lenses passed the noise test . And again the Rodie cut me off at the knees. This is pissing me off, i got more room up there.

SK

Rodie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now don't go by much here with color i do have a blend of light going on even daylight. Its the top noise that is NOT there that has got me excited.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, just send back the Rodie now. You know that the image cut off is just going to bug you and you already know that the colour rendering of the SK will match your other lenses, not to mention work perfectly with your IQ160.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Guy, just send back the Rodie now. You know that the image cut off is just going to bug you and you already know that the colour rendering of the SK will match your other lenses, not to mention work perfectly with your IQ160.
    Agreed, while I on the other hand would probably opt for the Rodie for the same reasons you state.
    Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Cant show my wife these pictures, or else any other photography purchases will be on hold until I get her a kitchen that looks like that.
    Bryan

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, only a minor point but it seems like the SK is slightly wider in reality than the Rodie. I noticed it with the light rail and creative use of the can for foreground interest (Ok, it also looks like the camera moved to the right when changing lenses also?)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it did too

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    My office must be bugged. Lol

Man you can read me. Don't ever say no to me when I want 2mm of space. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot this right at 7mm of rise looking for noise on the top right corner this was the noise test to see if i am specifically having issues with the LCC creating noise without a CF filter. Both lenses passed the noise test . And again the Rodie cut me off at the knees. This is pissing me off, i got more room up there.

SK

Rodie

Couple of comments:

1) I see more color fouling (magenta) in the upper left corner of the SK lens;
    2) The Rodie seems to have better contrast and/or the SK is getting flare from the light and/or reflection from camera left.
    3) SK obviously isn't cutting off mechanically as the Rodie is, but it appears 5 or 6mm is all you'll get out of the Rodie if you want to stay clean.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    Cant show my wife these pictures, or else any other photography purchases will be on hold until I get her a kitchen that looks like that.
    Yea that kitchen was certainly a pay back for something I bought. I think Matts wife already seen it . He is in big trouble. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple of comments:

1) I see a lot more color fouling in the upper left corner of the SK lens in these pics
    2) the Rodie seems to have better contrast and/or the SK is getting flare from the light and/or reflection from camera left
    Getting bleed from hang down lights . Left side is a waste on both lenses. The roadie has lens flare popping in from a lamp on the edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't ever say no to me when I want 2mm of space. ROTFLMAO
    Until you need to tilt it!

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getting bleed from hang down lights . Left side is a waste on both lenses. The roadie has lens flare popping in from a lamp on the edge.
    But the entire SK frame has overall lower contrast, as though the flare is affecting the entire frame across the mid-section.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol.

Okay out with the SK confirm my sickness

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But the entire SK frame has overall lower contrast, as though the flare is affecting the entire frame across the mid-section.
    I'll double check when I get home