Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leica 19mm R on Nikon D800E

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 19mm R on Nikon D800E

I'm sure most of you know I picked one of these up. Did the grinding for the fitting on the D800E and along in the process I broke the inside focusing arm on the lens. It was repaired and all is well and today I finally got a chance to test it. First impressions are extremely good. Its a Leica alright with a nice look to the files and I do remember this lens from bolting it on my Canons years ago. Anyway I remembered that the hood vignettes and I picked up on it today. Ill run another test with and without just to be sure. But I do remember modifying the hood back than. Looks to be the case again. But what I am also noticing is the very far corners do smear a little but better than what I remember and I will get into the whole series of tests but this one here shot at F11 you can clearly see the vignetting. Its also a very sharp lens and I am excited to have this back in my hands again.

Now I left Phoenix this morning but before I did I went to my cowboy town where I do all my testing. For me its great because there is a bunch of detail in the wood and such plus I have tested everything here so I get a really good idea whats going on. First off I'm pretty damn impressed . I have a bunch of images to process but I'm on my laptop so I will get to most of that when I get home as I have 2 days of shooting up here which takes precedence on my time. Okay drinking and gambling play a role too. LOL

Anyway this is a ongoing report but so far I'm smiling.

Here is a shot at F11 and you can see the vignetting in both top corners and the lower right for sure. Lets assume its the hood as even though I have a terrible memory I do remember modifying the hood on my Canons.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica 19mm R on Nikon D800E

Here is a 100 percent 1200x1200 wide center crop

Now given that I am focused clearly on the building where the center crop is and all i have here in the lower left is DOF carrying over this is damn impressive

Now on my straight on wall shots which I will post later the corners look really good even at F4 but by 5.6 really good. I will get to them when I get home since its pretty involved showing that whole series.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All these shots are done with Live view with a hoodman loupe focused wide open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Once again you can see clearly the vignetting from the hood. This is at F8. I will certainly be testing this to confirm it.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I told you about vignetting.LOL. ( but probably I confused it with natural vignetting, as I mostly use the lens full or nearly full open)
    You'll notice yourself, but as with every other high performance Leica lens, especially APO, the central part of the field of the elmarit 19 is diffraction limited from 2,8
    and so center is a little sharper and crispier full open than stopped down, while corners get better. This is confirmed by MTF.

elmarit 19 mtf by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Glad that everything went well with DAG.

Waiting for the results of your tests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, they seem to have a structure, richness, 3-D, and "fatness", and wealthy tones that Nikkors, and samyang and perhaps also the Sigma seems to miss(?)
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

It is a great lens. And FYI, you are sick.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

But you knew that

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, I wish this lens wasn't so nice

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive sharpness, DOF and overall look. Seems to be a keeper. Thanks for providing these great examples.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it sucks eggs. Look at those butt-ugly corners. Guy should sell it ASAP -- to me of course, cause I don't care about corners that much.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Na I think I have a keeper. Just got home from my gigs in Vegas. Ill process put some more test images from the other day. Also the hood I need to grind a little which maybe cutting a little sharpness out before the extreme corner. I'm viewing this lens as a 20 or 21 I knew that going in. I mentioned this in another thread but I believe it beats both the Zeiss 18 and 21. Which is exactly what I did several years ago was sell the Z21 for the Leica 19. Not selling this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have always thought the Leica 19mm is hard to beat. It seems to work very well with the D800E sensor.

Since I don't have my DMR anymore, I haven't shot the 19mm lately, but if I remember correctly, the lens is best shot at either f5.6 or f8. It may be different on the D800E, but I suspect it will have the same sweet spot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Not selling this one.
    Not even when Sigma releases it's new 19mm f1.9 high performance series lens later this summer (love to start rumors), that's optimized for best edge to edge performance wide open with resolution that makes their current 35mm f1.4 seem like shooting out of the bottom of a coke bottle?

Guy, with that info, your 19mm should already be on it's way to me...LOL

By the way, great test shot examples posted...much appreciated!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

My Tamron 17mm 3.5 SP adaptall lens is fantastic on my D2x, but I suppose that the D800e that you guys use would exploit any flaws it might have. Has built in filters as well.

Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ill process the rest of the test in morning but I did make the small modification on the inside of the hood and the vignetting from the hood appears to be all gone. The worst was at about F11 to be the most noticeable. I shot the sky before and after at F11 and it cleaned up. Not going to reshoot my test and just go with the hard vignetting images that I shot Sunday morning.

I also did a comparable image in studio with my 85 1.8 G lens and my Nikon 135 F2 DC lens and I will start a thread on that as well. Eventually I will move both threads to the review section for future reference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy, this will be helpful ( not to my pocket though )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets start this test with just few details so we understand this process very well. First shot on the D800E locked down on tripod and everything level ISO 100. Now we all know with wide angles running tests on corners is next to impossible because if we used the bottom corners on a subject that is 30 ft away the bottom corners are in reality maybe 5 ft so your really counting on a DOF scale which is not accurate. In this scene you see exactly why that is. So I set this up to be the top corners as it is exactly on the same focus point as my center. Image circle is the image circle so the top or bottom are identical when it comes to corners.

Okay two little issues with wide angles one here natural lens aperture vignetting. We all know every lens wide open has some vignetting when it comes to wide. So at 2.8 I corrected the vignetting which was BTW about a stop and also at F4 about a half a stop. Reason being there is nothing worse than seeing different exposures when evaluating this stuff side by side so, I balanced that all out exposure wise to evaluate better. I know you love me for this because it makes it so much easier to view. The other issue is field curvature which will obviously play a role in which F stop produces the sharpest corners to match your center.

I have one more issue that specific to this lens ONLY and that is a hard vignetting coming from the hood. I have since modified the Leica 19mm hood to eliminate this but in this test it was shot with the unmodified hood.So the very very extreme corners is not going to be as accurate because it most likely outside of extreme darkness it is also softening that area since a hard plastic is softening it up. So just be aware of that but even without that issue I still view this lens as a 20mm or 21mm and I knew that from my past usage of this lens. I owned the Zeiss 21mm lens years ago on my Canons but the distortion was not easy to deal with and I bought the Leica 19mm to replace maybe one of the finest wides around. I always considered the Leica 19mm the better lens and still do. Why I bought the darn thing again and made the modifications to bolt it on my Nikon as i think it is still better than the modern day Zeiss 18mm and 21mm.

Okay shot of the full image at 5.6 to start. Im going to run all the upper right hand corner shots first than run all the centers after that so you can see it much better viewing this.

And yes that is your neighborhood friendly ding bat in the frame

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay the upper right corners going from 2.8 to f11 clearly marked

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, those corners suck. You need to dump that POS lens.

And since I don't care about corners, I'll take it off your hands, cause it's a nice focal for me.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even with the hard vignetting which I know is softening things up there at 5.6 it looks really good and F8 just about as good as it gets. F11 looks very good but I think diffraction is setting in. If you look real close at the knot in the wood in the upper center of the shot the know looks better at F8. I know we are all looking at the extreme corners and honestly im not trusting it from the hard vignetting of the hood. I may casually repeat this test now with the hood modified but regardless we get a good idea of whats going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yup, those corners suck. You need to dump that POS lens.

And since I don't care about corners, I'll take it off your hands, cause it's a nice focal for me.
    You dont have enough money dude. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack in my thinking and you tell me your thoughts on the hood vignetting being a piece of plastic is in the path do you think it is softening up that extreme corner. It seems very logical to me that it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets move on to the center crops

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here at F4 it already looks very very good. 5.6 and F8 just drain every drop out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another image shot at F8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful, thanks for the samples and all the work. I assume the market value of these will rise by 20-30% after this test...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lightleak View Post
    Wonderful, thanks for the samples and all the work. I assume the market value of these will rise by 20-30% after this test...
    It may just do that. They are pretty expensive and hard to find as it is. BTW this is the Version II model and the one you want, if your looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last one in this series

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack in my thinking and you tell me your thoughts on the hood vignetting being a piece of plastic is in the path do you think it is softening up that extreme corner. It seems very logical to me that it is.
    Probably not. Any aberrations caused by the hood edge in the frame would be limited to a few pixels wide beyond the edge of the hood. We can see the hood edge is visible in the frame stopped down with lens at infinity, but it prolly isn't causing significant corner disruption much beyond it's fuzz edge.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks bud. Yea I was only thinking a very small amount. Not something that is going to bug me. I'm figuring when its really critical it's a 20 or 21. I took the Drexel to the hood yesterday so its gone now anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, that's about right -- and IIRC, what we decided way back when we did this conversion for our 1Ds MKII's I suspect you are at the optical limits of the lens at that vignette point.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup probably so

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have another issue that's needs my attention. Shooting strobes my sync limit is 1/160 as anything higher I'm getting shading from the shutter. It's not my strobes at any power not my PW. Something with the body menus I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does it happen if you connect a PC cord directly from the camera to your strobes? My guess is it's a triggering delay set into the PW's.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im good at 1/200 than I get a slight shading at 1/250. It happened Tuesday when shooting some fashion in the studio tethered. Here see the right side at 1/250 with the 135 DC lens.
    Ill try the PC cord but going to call Pocket Wizard. Its rated at 1/250. Also I read something this morning its the Nikon flipping shutter speeds on its own. But I need to confirm that is real and not something else

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PW Plus X

Sync Speed
    Ultra-fast microprocessors allow for reliable sync speeds of 1/250 for focal plane shutters and 1/500 for leaf shutters.

PocketWizard Compatible
    The PlusX is compatible with all PocketWizard transmitters and receivers including PocketWizard-enabled photo gear from Profoto, Dynalite, Norman, Photogenic and Sekonic light meters. The PocketWizard Wireless System allows for total flexibility with whatever lights or cameras you may be working with.

Post Thanks / Like

R19 is great lens. I have had two in the past. however, the new Zeiss 15 will out perform it without needing the grinding I know it's a little wider but not by much. I would definitely recommend the 15 which will knock your socks off. However, you are already invested with the 19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Zeiss 15 is a nice lens but there is a pretty big difference even at 4mm when it comes to wides. It's also a lens I would not use often enough to justify its cost. Now the Samyang 14mm has its charm very wide tons of distortion which you can correct and at F8 really good. For the rare times I need it 400 dollars is a pretty good deal. I also like the look of the Leica glass. But yes the Z15 is very nice no question.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    R19 is great lens. I have had two in the past. however, the new Zeiss 15 will out perform it without needing the grinding I know it's a little wider but not by much. I would definitely recommend the 15 which will knock your socks off. However, you are already invested with the 19.
    Agree about the Zeiss 15mm. Had a chance to test one and it's level of performance is noteworthy. Issues are that it's quite a little behemoth, aside from being pricy.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I'm anal and went and reshot the test images with the modified hood. From LCD they look better. Ill post them in a little while. I also tested my Nikon 28 as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I also tested my Nikon 28 as well.
    Oh, the 1.8g? Would be very interested in your thoughts/test shots. If it is O/T here, feel free to add to „my“ (our) 28mm for d800e thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking of adding that to the 28 thread. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I went back to my test area and reshot I think exactly the same scene. This time though the hood vignetting is no longer the issue since i modified the hood. I think I got better results as well. Bottom line you need to modify the hood regardless.

Full Image at 5.6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly I should just delete the first ones but its good to leave so folks can see the hood issue but I think I am even sharper all around on the second test. Lets compare the 5.6 from old and new and yes i am slightly off in framing but even so it just looks a lot cleaner with the second test. Bottom line killer lens

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wish I could make some money off this next test since you all will run out and buy it now. This is a little scary. This is a center and field curvature test. First here is the center and there is no need to even go past 5.6 here as it is brilliant even wide open.

Full Image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Safe to say here F4 is almost perfect and 5.6 is perfect.