Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 28mm 1.8 G VS Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art series

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrow Nikon 28mm 1.8 G VS Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art series

If you have been following my discussion on the Nikon 28mm after 2 test I was a little disappointed in my findings. This morning I went back out and ran another test against a very good copy of the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art series. Now this is my second Sigma lens and I did get lucky to find a good copy of it.

I was out early this morning to beat the heat which here in Pheonix its been well over 100 degrees so its early light but I did get a test off that is better on the Nikon , now let me add here I found something very odd at 1.8 and I will start posting images and point out one anomaly that makes no logical sense when the Sigma does not show it at the same 1.8 aperture and given the Nikon is a wider lens it really makes no sense it does not carry a area that is very close to critical focus are. I will clearly point that out but reports of smearing seems to be the case on the Nikon.

First some full frame images which are very close to each other.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 28mm 1.8 G VS Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art series

Im very slightly off but it would equal out framing wise.

One thing I should add , done in live view, lenses on manual focus and using a Hoodman loupe. I am squarely focused on the bottom middle pot.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma 35mm 1.4 and i will just post this alone as a reference

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is where i see a big issue on the Nikon . First look at the bottom pot on the Sigma and look at the pot above it. Its very sharp on that top pot and this is at 1.8. Now look at the Nikon a wider lens no less and one would think maybe more DOF even at 1.8 over a 35mm 1.8. Look at the bottom pot now the top pot is out of focus. This makes no sense as it should be like the 35mm here. So these blurry areas we keep hearing about . Looks like I found one her as it very well can be field curvature as well since the Nikon has more of it than the Sigma. Also notice the chroma aberration on the tea room sign. See the green band

The Sigma looks far better here at 1.8 and it just keeps getting better and by F2 its just killer good. I'll let you folks decide that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma is still spanking it at F2. Look above the tea room sign you will see hanging tea cup. No detail in the Nikon lens there, so lets keep a eye on that and see where the Nikon catches up to the Sigma. Frankly I could stop right here and just call it as the Sigma is the better lens on several levels. Chroma, sharpness and resolution, less field curvature.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At 2.8 the Sigma just is dead on the money and stopping down just will only increase DOF. The Nikon looks to me it may hit its mark maybe by 5.6. Lets see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon at F4 is getting better but still lacking detail in upper pot and tea cups. Sigma is only a DOF thing now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im going to stop at 5.6 as I think you all have a good idea at this point. I am also going to load the whole series of Tiff if someone wants to download and play. If you post them I ask they stay on get DPI only. Actually its my rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So depending on your needs you can see what the 28mm does. It does have some field curvature so if your trying get everything in than stopping down pretty far is the only way.

Here is a link of both lenses shot from wide open to F11 and full Tif files. Its 1gb to download. Patience grasshoppers.

I will put this thread in the digital review section in a couple days as another reference point for both lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Files are still uploading

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should not put out a recommendation since I am supposed to be neutral but if you don't have the Sigma plan on getting one or at least try it. It has become one of my favorite lenses and when I need 1.4 its my first choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Guy!
    Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot! The Sigma wins easily but the nikon doesn't look too shabby either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No its a decent lens no question but it has field curvature and a few little niggles that go with it. But if your after IQ than stopping down is the answer. I know your on the fence about this so I thought this would be of great help. It gives me a better idea on the Nikon as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Very kind, much appreciated! I will be in the shop tomorrow returning my first, decentered copy of the sigma. I will have to annoy them a bit by asking to try out another 35mm Sigma copy and hope I can evaluate the lens in (and around) the shop already. I will try to go through as many copies as they will allow me to (except when I find a good one right at the beginning. This is more fun than the lottery, ha.) I wonder what I'll do if they don't have a good copy or won't allow to test others.. Either I walk away with the 28mm 1.8g or I will source more Sigmas from amazon...

I really would prefer to be an uncomplicated, satisfied customer and skip all the (possible) postage maneuvres, but I have learned to be picky about lenses and somehow I think that's legitimate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You have the right to have and own good products, so whatever it takes the customer is always right.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the 28 1.8 and actually rarely shoot at anything other than f/8 when I am looking for quality.
    OTOH, for street it is just that much wider than the 35 that it is my favorite lens for casual walk-around.
    I have no issue with shooting the D800 up to ISO 400 with excellent quality.
    Tough situations such as low light hand-held church interiors for example, you are faced with a DOF issue anyway wide open so I just rarely find it that useful. Hand held, my camera shale is worse than the lens limitations IMO.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Bob its a nice lens, you use it to its strengths. Now we know some of its weaknesses which every lens has anyway. Just have to be careful if your in the more wide open range.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, do you use the 28mm for landscape/cityscape photography as well, so in the mid to infinity range? Most reviewers/users seem to say it is not suited very well for that task. What are your opinions on that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I do and with excellent results, OTOH as I said before I am usually at f/8 under those circumstances.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, good to hear a different opinion on that. Looking for a good DoF I would use it around f8 probably 90% of the time as well, so that wouldn't be a problem.
    Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Bob: the lens's issues with field shape are well enough cleared up by F8 to rarely have any impact. Additionally the lens, when used at F5.6, can 'do' an alley of trees or a receding streetscape with good focus from near to far, and if used in portrait orientation even at F4 it can get foreground very sharp and distance across the central third of the frame too. It's actually very useful having a lens with this field shape as long as you deploy it appropriately.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick report about returning my sigma 35 the other day.
    I got lucky with the staff at the store, a very customer friendly as well as experienced lady who let me try the second copy - et voila - that one was bad as well, hah. Not as bad as the first but still it was clearly decentered (blurry on the right). So I decided to ask for the nikon 28 but sadly this was out of focus (just kidding, it was out of stock). She offered to look one more time and to my great joy she returned with three more Sigmas! My eyes widened even more when she said I could try them all, no problem! I had already found the perfect testing location just outside the shop and continued with the third copy which turned out to be decentered as well: blurry on the left side this time. Four has always been my lucky number and indeed the fourth one is what I believe to be a very good copy - bingo. It might be veeeery slightly decentered as well - but i could only see this in one of many shots @ f4. From 5.6 it is nicely even from what I can say after the first few shots. So, joyfully I asked to try the fifth lens just to make the test complete, and that one was quite a good copy as well. Only slight decentering, but enough to support my pick of #4. If #4 hadn't happened, maybe I would have taken #5, hard to say afterwards.
    So to sum it up: of the five copies I tested 3 were not good enough for the d800e, one of these being really ugly in my eyes. Two worked well, one of them really well as far as I can say for now. You guys have been really helpful, thanks a lot! Looking forward to take some pictures hopefully on sunday and maybe post one or two!
    Last edited by Lightleak; 13th June 2013 at 02:35.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! it took you about the same number as it took me, but when you get a goof one, it is such good value that those unhappy memories fade quite quickly!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Now I hope Phase One hurries up and provides the correction profile for this lens for Capture One. Not that there is a whole lot to correct... Instead I keep getting error messages completely in what I guess to be japanese...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on getting a good one. I sent images to PT lens on my Leica 19mm and Tom made a nice profile for it. Maybe ill send a Sigma 35mm in as well. Be nice to have that also. Read the 19mm review my last postings on PT lens profile on the 19mm.

PS I would love to have Phase catch up on all these profiles as I use C1 Pro as my only raw converter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    PS I would love to have Phase catch up on all these profiles as I use C1 Pro as my only raw converter.
    Same here. Since I bought C1 pro 7 I only use PS for cropping and saving for web. And that probably only because I haven't found out how to do these things in C1, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

hello!
    i carefully read all posts, and i have to ask, can someone explain me what should i be looking for in a future copy of the Sigma 35? you are telling me that it could have decent red problems, how do you notice that? if you could only have one copy can you send it to center it with your own camera?
    i really thought that, being a new series, ART series, they ere carefully tested before ending in the comercial highway.

Post Thanks / Like

im beginner, This is very useful for me. thanks Guy Mancuso

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad I came back to this post. Very useful info, thanks!