Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sony 55FE 1.8 vs Sony ZA 85mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 135mm F2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony 55FE 1.8 vs Sony ZA 85mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 135mm F2

I can only imagine what Sony/Zeiss will bring to the table in the future, if they can make a standard lens look this good... or perhaps this will be the norm, seeing as this is the first new digital camera system with all high resolution bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    I can only imagine what Sony/Zeiss will bring to the table in the future, if they can make a standard lens look this good... or perhaps this will be the norm, seeing as this is the first new digital camera system with all high resolution bodies.
    It seems Sony already knows what we are figuring out: The combination of small size / high quality is what we all like. The great thing is this camera takes almost any lens. The bad thing is this camera takes almost any lens.

There is this knee jerk reaction to put a big, heavy expensive lens on this camera to extract its full potential. But when we do that we take away the basic benefit of size to quality ratio. Sorting through and settling on our preferred lenses is going to take some time because ultimately we will want excellent, but small and light lenses.

Lenses with those characteristics are precisely what Sony have produced so far...

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy

I have recently done a Lens test on both A7/7r for DIGIT! Magazine here in Germany, also with with the 1,8/55mm Zeiss, the 1,4/55mm Otus, a 1,4/35mm ZE the 2,0/135mm ApoSonnar ZE, and also a Sony SAL 1,8/135mm , an (APS-C) SAL 1,8/35, a SAL 2,8/50mm Macro and 2 Zeiss CP2 Cine lenses in emount a 15mm Distagon and a 135mm(=Apo Sonnar).

The Surprises of this test were a) the SAL 1,8/35mm
    even when used only in crop format this is incredibly sharp (and cheap) should make a perfect prime for a Nex 7.
    b) the 1,8/55mm Zeiss which is very close to the Otus. For most people this should probably do. The Otus has a unique cleanness coming from the total lack of chroma in unfocus areas, even in opposite lights, an even higher saturation and definition and a superior sharpness in the edges especially at open aperture 1,4. At f5,6 they look very, very close.

My personal favourite: the SAL1,8/135 Sony !
    It is about as sharp as the Apo Sonnar, has half a stop more open aperture and Autofocus ! It´s a monster , a huge piece of glass, but what a lens.

I had also compared these with my Hartblei´s 40,80 and 120 and it is amazing how good these "old" MF lenses were keeping pace with the best of the best of todays 35mm constructions.

There will be full res testchart (a modified 80x100cm siemens star Nurizon Acolens + Gretag DC Target and some more special modifications) ARM´s for both the A7 and the A7r available for download. The tests were shot with Highspeed flash of about 1/10000sec to make sure that there is no influence of any shutter bounce movements.

The part 1 of the test is already out , part 2 with al the test charts and further workflow findings (Shift and tilt, all kind of adapters, e.g. Contax G lenses with autofocus working !!!, Nikon G-ED 14-24 and more) will appear in DIGIT! issue 2 in end of march.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look forward to reading them.

I was thinking of the Sony 135 1.8 as I have the Sony adapter already. Just have a hard time giving up my Zeiss 135 f2 as that is killer good. Glad to hear of the 55 here as I know wide open we would need to fix the Ca and such wide open. You can see the sensor bloom here in this test. Actually the Z 135 is the best in that area between the three tested here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the 55mm Sony-Zeiss is an excellent lens - right up there, but it is a shame the Otus is not in your comparison Guy. As nearly everyone says, the Otus is in another league, certainly in the wider apertures. From DigiLloyd to Ming Thein to Lens Rentals there is pretty universal praise that this is simply the best lens ever made for a 35mm type camera.

"the finest lens ever produced for a 35mm SLR or DSLR (or rangefinder). It sets a new benchmark."

"It really is quite possibly the best lens I have ever used, for any format"

"The Zeiss Otus outperforms all other lenses in a degree I have never seen before. Even at open aperture it already reaches a resolution that the other lenses can not deliver before stopped down to f/4.0."

This is an interesting German test, which whilst admitting the Sony Zeiss is very impressive, puts the Otus likewise in a class of its own.

I own both Zeiss 55mm lenses, and agree that the Sony-Zeiss 55mm is kind of an Otus-lite, but it is not really there if you want to work with 36Mp below f2.8 (arguably, and certainly f2) for shallow focus, especially if asking for excellent edge definition, and zero CA, then only the Otus itself will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know as nice as the Otus seems to be i personally would not spend it on a 55mm. A 180, 85mm or a 24mm than I would consider it but to me its a boring FOV. I do need one though but this Sony if perfect for my needs. Would i have liked to test the Otus you bet but to own it its another story. I can buy a lot for its price tag. Don't get me wrong I have spent 6500.00 on a Leica 35-70 2.8 so i am not shy about costs but 50mm area is not my heart throb.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking that stitched frames of a 55 Otus would make a fantastic wide angle.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got my Sony/Zeiss 55 f1.8 today and did some quick and dirty testing. At full aperture, I think this the sharpest lens I have ever used. On the a7r it beats my 'Lux 50 ASPH.

Worth every penny of the US$900 I paid for it.

Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome Bill. Yea its actually a little scary how good this dang thing is.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is. I'm practically pinching myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again... if you think that's good - try the Otus!

It's on another plane, above and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that but frankly, I don't need any more and in fact, having something this small and light and with AF beats a superfluity of IQ for my needs!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    At full aperture, I think this the sharpest lens I have ever used. On the a7r it beats my 'Lux 50 ASPH.

Worth every penny of the US$900 I paid for it.

Bill
    I agree Bill. It's sharper than my 50mm Summilux ASPH, even when the Summilux is mounted on the M 240. Amazingly sharp.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Sharpness aside, how about colors and rendering, compared to the Summilux? I am tempted by the 55FE - is it really THAT GOOD compared to the Summilux on A7/R or Summilux on M9/M240?

I need one native AF lens for my A7 - can't decide whether to get the 24-70 when it is available or get the 55FE. I like 50mm focal length.

Eeraj

Post Thanks / Like

If the zoom is good it'll be more useful in the sense of versatile, but everyone needs at least one lens that really shows the wow of what the camera can do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea the zoom for me is more for the PR type work not so much the high end quality images for landscape or other client work. My bet is has no real look to it anyway and like many 24-70 versions out there. Useful no doubt but no mojo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks gents. My primary use will be for landscapes and some walk-around work. I guess I should just get the kits lens for walk-around and stick to MF for other work.

Eeraj

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My A7r is my landscape unit so manual lenses are perfect and the A7 is for AF but no harm in mixing the lenses around that 55 will always get thrown in the bag regardless of what I am shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I get that but frankly, I don't need any more and in fact, having something this small and light and with AF beats a superfluity of IQ for my needs!
    Understood, and I have no wish to rain on anyone's parade! I own both for precisely the reason you say - to have the option of smaller lighter lens with high IQ and AF, and/or the Otus for the ultimate IQ available to ordinary mortals.

(and without wishing to be a crashing bore, its not simply sharpness, but the complete lack of Chromatic Abberation in the Otus at wider apertures means colors are much cleaner, and have a purity I have not seen elsewhere. No blurry futz around details. Very good light suppression internally also helps. Yes its a beast, and that annoys me, but I can live with it for what you get in return)

On a more general note:

Zeiss call the Otus an 'Apo-Distagon', which seems to be the way all ultra IQ wide angles are going, MF and FF. I think Rodenstock took this path already with their newest range of MF lenses, with highly corrected semi-retrofocal wides. But of course 'Distagon' is a Zeiss name, so they can't use that. Apo-Retrofocal seems to be the way ahead for standard to wide angle lengths, as we hit the buffers with old lens designs, used on digital sensors

Post Thanks / Like

If I end up with the Otus, I'm sending you the bill!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me too!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no interest in the Otus on the A7r as the size is too much to me on the A7r. For most uses, I suspect there is no practical difference between it and the FE 55. Having said this, I do have a Lux 50 and think in a few ways it has advantages over the FE 55. To my eyes, at large apertures in the center the Lux 50 is a hair better (note this only applies to close distances, not at infinity). Also, I find the out of focus highlights to be a bit better corrected--slightly less color fringing (usually green) on OOF disks, etc. in general, both have lovely bokeh but this, combined with the ability to use F 1.4 has me prefer the Lux 50 bokeh. it is also nicer to use for manual focus and the FE 55 AF is not always accurate--especially at closer distances in low light. Thus, I use the Lux 50 for low light/portraiture/creative use when corner to corner sharpness us not a concern. Now, overall, the FE 55 is way better than the Lux on the A7r. Away from dead center, and especially at the edges and corners, and at any aperture (other than 1.4 the FE 55 is sharper. It goes in my bag for infinity use, travel, or any time I want AF.

Post Thanks / Like

If I end up with the Otus, I'm sending you the bill!
    No problem! just send it to:

Mr M Mouse,
    Anaheim,
    California.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post
    I have no interest in the Otus on the A7r as the size is too much to me on the A7r.
    Yes, agree, kind of, but... the point of putting up with that is:

The A7R can do things that no D800/E can do - it has a quality EVF, with focus peaking and instant magnification of user selectable focus area. And that focus is direct from the sensor, with no errors. So it is arguably the best camera to use a manual focus lens on. Switch the EVF to B&W viewing, (your RAW file is still full color) set Focus Peaking to Red and 'High', and focus pops out clearer than any other camera I know of. This is why they make a surprisingly good combination. But... YMMV, of course!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed and most if my lenses are manual focus including WATE, CV 35 1.2, Lux 50, and 90 Cron apo. I just like smaller than 2.2 pound manual focus lenses when I can get them!
    Last edited by Luvwine; 5th February 2014 at 08:27. Reason: Autocorrect error

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Getting back to the 55mm FE. Just in case you where wondering if this lens was good at distance wide open well if this is not a answer i really don't have a better answer. OUTSTANDING

No that is not lens distortion but a very old crooked building. LOL

THIS IS WIDE OPEN FOLKS> Handheld

Now that my friends is a HOLY ****
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 10th February 2014 at 10:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now of ALL the advice i have given to this forum and its members let me be so dang bold and just say this if you don't buy this lens than your just a dumb ***.

I mean that in the most totally respective way. Okay i can't stop laughing as that is something I should not be saying but I love you folks so pardon my immense bluntness here. Yes you all gave me a hall pass on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ill go pray for forgiveness now. Guess what lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

I would join you on that advice. For under 1k this is a bargain and a joy, more so - a little miracle. But even on top of this, the Otus has a bit more of everything, though for a hefty plus on payment. A bit like the final last 5 % of a very highend audio equipment, the difference between 95% and 98% may cost 5 or even 10x the price.

For all the normal people, who just want to take great images, this little 1,8/55 is a killer........

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It really is and I am VERY afraid of even trying the Otus. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After a few more comparos, I've sold my 50 'Lux, something I thought I'd never do. But the EF 55 is just that good. And it's lighter, and it's autofocus. (So I lose a half-stop - big deal.)
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post

For all the normal people, who just want to take great images, this little 1,8/55 is a killer........

Stefan
    There aren't any normal people here, are there?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm headed the same way Bill. In fact all my Leica gear is going apart from the 90mm Macro Elmar.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Getting back to the 55mm FE. Just in case you where wondering if this lens was good at distance wide open well if this is not a answer i really don't have a better answer. OUTSTANDING

No that is not lens distortion but a very old crooked building. LOL

Those American bricklayers need a level as well!

I don't have that lens yet. I am thinking of what to sell....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm headed the same way Bill. In fact all my Leica gear is going apart from the 90mm Macro Elmar.
    You're late in the game! I part-ex'd my Leica M-gear for the A7R + 35/55/24-70 Zeiss trio. Still waiting for the Zeiss zoom to arrive though.

Only lens I'm slightly regretting of not keeping was my lovely elmarit-m 90/2.8 which would have apparently been great on the A7R. Maybe I need to re-purchase it later on.. but I'll wait and check the upcoming native Zeiss FE 85mm first.

//Juha

ps. next on the line is my Leica X2 as I'm thinking RX-1R.. but I heard it would be a wise choice to hold on for a bit, before jumping the RX1 wagon.. good things are to come!

Post Thanks / Like

Odd, I am loving the Leica glass on the A7r. Maybe it is just a case of never having been able to use Leica glass before (not having owned a Leica body), but I really like the Leica WATE on the A7r, the 90/2 Cron APO is amazing, and even the Lux 50 is good for close up wide open portrait uses. Not sure the Lux 50 is really justifiable in addition to the FE 55, but I am in no hurry to sell. Even picked up a 135/3.4 APO for small size and reach. I will also get the 70-200/4 for the range and the OSS. Maybe it will be good enough to make me sell the 135, but given the weight and size differential (as well as corner sharpness if the MTF's are accurate), there will likely be a place in my bag for the 135 depending upon what I am doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    After a few more comparos, I've sold my 50 'Lux, something I thought I'd never do. But the EF 55 is just that good. And it's lighter, and it's autofocus. (So I lose a half-stop - big deal.)
    Same here. My 50 LUX ASPH was the one Leica lens I said I would never sell. But the FE 55 is so much better in every way, so I sold the LUX. Amazingly, the proceeds from the sale of the LUX paid for my A7R, FE55 and FE24-70. Well almost ... I had to tip in $100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to save weight for landscape work I may get a M 90 cron or elmarit and leave the ZA 85mm home on those gigs. I'm still debating that one though but under like the 85 I see no reason to try and save weight and bulk there with M glass. My Zeiss 35 and Leica 19 are really not big and heavy. Btw don't let the size of Leica glass fool you either they are heavy a lot of them. I did sell the Z135 and ordered the Sony 135 1.8 new today. Here I get the benefit of AF but lose the 1.4 converter as I don't see anything that will work with it?

Right now I'm in debate on the zoom. Since I have the Z35 Nikon mount the 55 I thought about the 24ZA instead. Or I could sell the z35 get a z 28 and get the zoom. I just have this gap between 19 & 35 that's bugging me. Really my last glass decision as all my glass is stellar. I just know from experience 24-70 zooms are not great at the widest focal length and from images I seen so far it distorts pretty heavy at 24. I guess this one we will know soon enough as more folks are getting them. It's not that it looks real bad but just want to be sure about.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work on this review Guy. We thank you for the time and trouble. I may also jump on this Sony 55mm with my A7R order going out any day now. One question that still bothering me - did you have any evidence of the shutter vibration problem in all you testing? It's obvious your shots are razor sharp even with the 135, but did you intentionally compensate for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I think the Zeiss 21 F2.8 is great on the A7R with an adaptor. What is stellar and tiny and perfect for travel and hiking is the 90 Macro Elmar, though it is an F4...

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, not sure what Guy will say but I am somewhat ambiguous on this. I think I see it sometimes, at 160th in particular, but then I often get very good results at 1/60th handheld if I brace properly. I also think the VGrip improves things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No shutter vibration on all my glass except one time doing a vertical in Yosemite with the 135 I seen some evidence on it. I owe a lot of this to adapters too as i have found some real issues on adapters coming from the camera mount like pulling away. Need to check your screws on these adapters as everyone of mine was not real tight. Now i think when you get to longer glass this is more evident with shutter vibration but it happens with a lot of systems as well. I also found your camera plates to be aware of as well and stability. I have the RRS L bracket on this and it runs the full length of the bottom which in my mind gives a much more stable base for the camera. A good head and some nice legs as well. But don't put to much into the tripod . You don't need a series 5 gitzo for example. Anything that has a weight class of about 26 lbs should be fine. I have a great ballhead in the Arca Z1 which i had for several years now and can't recommend it enough as I used it on Tech cams and every Medium Format system I had so I'm built pretty solid now but I would not run out and buy the most expensive tripod and head. If you have long glass like any system you want a good balance in the weight of the glass. I know some folks have run into this more and not sure exactly why that is but it has not been a issue for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I think the Zeiss 21 F2.8 is great on the A7R with an adaptor. What is stellar and tiny and perfect for travel and hiking is the 90 Macro Elmar, though it is an F4...
    Yea the Z 21 is great but having that Leica 19mm R is just killer good. I absolutely love that lens. I had the 90 macro at one time and your right that was a nice lens. Ill keep that one in mind for sure, thanks Tim.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

I always assumed I would need to mount the tripod on the lens adapter and not the camera body for better balance and less stress on the mounts, (when using larger adapted lenses of course).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now of ALL the advice i have given to this forum and its members let me be so dang bold and just say this if you don't buy this lens than your just a dumb ***.

I mean that in the most totally respective way. Okay i can't stop laughing as that is something I should not be saying but I love you folks so pardon my immense bluntness here. Yes you all gave me a hall pass on this one.
    One dumb **** reporting in. There's more to a lens than sharpness and I personally do not enjoy the rendering style of this 55mm. Especially for people work. Way too clinical for my tastes. That and I've never liked the zeiss 'look' anyway. Heresy I know but there it is.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    One dumb **** reporting in. There's more to a lens than sharpness and I personally do not enjoy the rendering style of this 55mm. Especially for people work. Way too clinical for my tastes. That and I've never liked the zeiss 'look' anyway. Heresy I know but there it is.
    First, I like my 55.

With that I totally understand what you're saying, heresy or not :-) I was quite annoyed with Zeiss 28 on my previous M9 due to it's signature. It seemed to give the photos this certain "cartoonish" character, with the lack of any better way of explaining it...

Anyway, if you don't like the Zeiss way then these FE 55/35 lenses are probably not for you..

And unless you're big on manual focus with mirrorless, it actually means the whole A7/A7r system is probably not the best choice either since most af lenses will be Zeiss..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One reason I like the 85 1.4 glass out there it's just a much nicer people lens and having the 135 1.8 I should have two longish glass for that people look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do agree though Ben if Zeiss is not your cup of tea per say. It's going to be a little tough since Sony uses Zeiss in there native glass on all there systems. But we do have bolt on options for sure.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got 4 lenses for my A7r, non are AF. Suits me. Lens sharpness and accurate focus are bourgeois concepts anyway...

Seriously though, my favourite picture taken in a month was from today. I was using peaking at f1.4 and it was far from perfect on a lens that's soft as heck wide open anyway.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it is ok to be a dumb ** and still buy the 55. Otherwise I've broken some law or something...

I have to say the A7/55 along with the RX1r is a pretty ridiculous 1-2 punch. Though I still keep lusting for an A7r...
    new album | nostatic | music