Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sony 55FE 1.8 vs Sony ZA 85mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 135mm F2

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 55FE 1.8 vs Sony ZA 85mm 1.4 vs Zeiss 135mm F2

You just need to buy it it and get it over with. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

oh, you're a lot of help. My cc is still stinging from the RX1r, though at least I picked it up used for $1800 (which feels like a deal to me).

I could get rid of the kit zoom that would pay for like 15% of the A7r. Heck, that's most of the price, right? Right?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony sale going on. I'm so bad.LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You just need to buy it it and get it over with. Lol
    True, true.. he just needs to buy!

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I'm going to buy a ZA24, sell my Zeiss 35 f2. Than I would have this 24-55 gap . Nice little trick with both cams but the A7r is can go into crop mode and get a 30mm out of it. Its 1.3 ? . I need to check.

Here is why . My feeling the 24-70 is going to be not so hot at 24, so I can have a great Za24 and use the zoom from 28mm on. At 28mm I figure the zoom should be good by than.
    And with the 7R I still get a 24 mpx cam . Not to bad

That would give me a Leica 19, ZA 24, 24-70 FE ,55Fe, ZA 85 1.4 and the 135 1.8 ZA. That would be a awesome kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To get there just need to sell my 35 Zeiss . Than 1200 for the zoom and I'm in.

Like my fuzzy logic. I'm such a lens slut. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay more fuzzy logic . I'm going with ZA for now until more FE because first there Zeiss second there AF but more important they are the only lenses around that are nice to focus manually. They have feel which many AF lenses do not. And they are all kickass good.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the crop is 1.5, so same as nex series aps-c. So you'd have a 36mm instead of a 30.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great so really than have a 24mm, cropped 36 until I get the zoom and 55. That's perfect gapping. Done I'm committed

I have the Sony AF adapter but I may add the manual version too. I can use one or the other depending on what I'm doing. So I get down to one Leica R adapter bolted on the 19mm. I can sell my Nikon Novaflex although I shaved the coupler inside so its really for ZF. 2 lenses and F lenses now. Than just my Sony adapters . I like less adapters

Post Thanks / Like

Sony sale going on. I'm so bad.LOL
    Actually my local shop was doing a "trade in" sale on the bodies. This was right before the lens deal hit. If I was a frugal guy I'd swap the A7 kit for an A7r body and 24-70/4 lens (and cancel the one I have on order with Adorama). I'm still within my exchange time period and my local shop likes me because they get plenty of my $.

That swap would actually be about a wash financially when all is said and done. A couple hundred off the body, $200 off the lens. Then the only thing I'd really be missing is the EFC on the A7 but I think I could learn to live with the double clack. The RX1r is dead silent so not sure I need the middle ground of the A7 shutter. And then I get all those extra AA-free pixels. Mmmm, pixels...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly I have yet to have any real issue with the A7r but I also don't have any lenses that would create one either. The shutter does not bother me. My A7 sits in the safe or is backup. I'll use it for certain things like when I need the Phase AF and my shows I do. It's me but I like a lot of MPX it gives me options and my clients. But remember you can't go by me either since I'm shooting for commerce. So my choices are more needs than wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Need...want...there's a difference?

While I don't get directly paid for shooting, it ends up being part of my day-job description and stuff does show up in online published pieces. For whatever reason I've bonded with the A7, but will admit that I consistently prefer the shots I see from the non-AA cameras (A7r and the RX1r I just picked up). I've already become a less lazy shooter, adapting to the A7 so I only see up-sides in going with the r. I've been shooting some with the EFC off and have gotten more used to the sound/feel of the shutter.

I'm hoping for an A8 with no AA and a leaf shutter. In the meantime, seems that RX1r and A7r would cover things...
    new album | nostatic | music

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is why . My feeling the 24-70 is going to be not so hot at 24, so I can have a great Za24 and use the zoom from 28mm on. At 28mm I figure the zoom should be good by than.
    Hi Guy
    I'm absorbing all this information . . . . . and biding my time - I'm watching Todd's remorse on his A7 purchase . . . . but I like the EFC for hand holding on the A7

As far as the zoom is concerned - have I been lucky? my kit zoom is stupidly sharp (for any kind of a zoom) from corner to corner - I was hoping that the 24-70 woulf have been the holy grail, but if it's only really good from 18-50 I think I'll hang on to the kit zoom - the expensive one doesn't really seem to offerr too much extra..

I really like the A7, and if I decide to go down the Sony route I'll keep it and get the A7r for manual focus. . . .but I have a project to shoot with the M at the moment, so the decision is best left for a few weeks.

That 55 looks impossible to resist though . . . . . . and unlike some, it's a focal length I'm really fond of.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Guy
    I'm absorbing all this information . . . . . and biding my time - I'm watching Todd's remorse on his A7 purchase . . . . but I like the EFC for hand holding on the A7

<snip>

That 55 looks impossible to resist though . . . . . . and unlike some, it's a focal length I'm really fond of.
    Remorse is such a strong word. Perhaps, "consternation". The EFC actually is what has kept me on the fence to-date. To me it just feels more solid from a user perspective with the single snick.

I love the 55, and the only niggle I have with the RX1r is that I generally like to shoot a bit longer than 35mm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Remorse is such a strong word. Perhaps, "consternation". The EFC actually is what has kept me on the fence to-date. To me it just feels more solid from a user perspective with the single snick.

I love the 55, and the only niggle I have with the RX1r is that I generally like to shoot a bit longer than 35mm.
    Hi there Todd
    well, whether it's remorse or consternation . . . my feeling is that until an A8 comes out with 36mp and EFC one really needs both cameras . . . . .or none, I don't really relate to 35mm so I've easily avoided the Rx1.

What I do know is that as a very early buyer of the A7r, I was not in love, but the A7 is a great camera. Right now I have my foot in the water, just considering whether to slip off the side of the pool but if I do, I think that both bodies are relevant.

What I have understood is that (for me at least) it's not an alternative for my RF lenses - but for Leica R lenses (I have a few) and for the native Sony lenses it's a real contender.

dithering

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I'm not adapting any legacy glass so that aspect of the A7r is a moot consideration for me (I've got some L glass but too big and heavy for my taste). It really comes down to the shutter being the only difference for a user like me with native lenses. I love love love the 55/1.8 and ability to crop a 36mp file would turn it into a de facto longer lens when need be.

For me, there are situations where I need a totally silent shutter. I was planning on just using my RX100ii for that, and while it works, once you start messing with the A7 files in post the ones from the 1" sensor are just at a huge disadvantage. I start wanting my cake and being able to eat it as well - with ice cream! Hence my picking up the RX1r and putting up with 35mm focal length.

An A8 with a leaf shutter and no AA filter would be a "sell everything else and give me a pair please" moment.
    new album | nostatic | music

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post

An A8 with a leaf shutter and no AA filter would be a "sell everything else and give me a pair please" moment.
    I do still love rangefinders, so the M bodies aren't up for grabs, but with that exception I'm with you

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I don't really relate to 35mm so I've easily avoided the Rx1.
    In many ways I'm on the same boat. I've tried to love 35 and it's hard... but as my small camera I'm currently using the Leica X2 and I'm slowly starting to get the grips with a 35 when using that. With that the RX-1r is looking pretty interesting, but I've heard through the grape wine that it's not perhaps the best time to buy it just yet. It's massively expensive here at 3100 or close 4200USD!!

But on the A7r, it's the 55 that's been bolted on so far. When it comes to lens choices, I'm mostly a 50's kinda guy. Even that 55 is on the edge of being a bit long.. but quality considered, I'm willing to live with it

Also I quite liked 90 on my previous M9. So that's something I need to sort out with the A7r as well. Hopefully the native Zeiss 85/1.4 will be out soon or otherwise I'm already eyeing a nice mint sample of Hexanon M 90/2.8, since those are somewhat cheaper than the elmarit-m 90's, but from what I gather optically pretty similar.

I think I'd also like to try those 135's, but there's no way I'll lug around 1kg+ lenses. So if Zeiss doens't come up with a native 135 that's light weight, I'll start eyeballing the Leica apo 135.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just did a test between the Sony Zeiss ZA 135 1.8 and the 55FE 1.8 and without posting images I have to say the 135 1.8 maybe slightly better than both the 55mm FE and the Zeiss 135mm F2 ZF.2.

Its very very slight so not worth going through all the effort of a all out test. But I am impressed by the Sony 135mm 1.8. I was just checking it against the 55FE since we know how good that should be in this thread.

The one thing I have noticed in the 55mm FE is the colors are more neutral compared to the Zeiss 85, 135 and sony 135 which tend to be warmer by about 400 kelvin. I noticed this in the beginning of this thread. Something to be aware of when doing the same gig and switching lenses.

This might be worthy of testing folks is the color output of these lenses

Post Thanks / Like

I hit the buy button on a 135 1.8 last night, and should have it next week. I really don't mind the LAE4 adapter on the 7r, and have been using it with the CZ50 lens i have. Nice combo. I will compare the 135 to that lens once it arrives. RRS also makes an L bracket for the adapter, so it does not have to be on the body itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to look at that. I could use it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just ordered it . Have a big gig Wednesday shooting verticals. I can use it for my 85 and 135. I actually did not have a good solution for this. This is perfect. Thanks for letting me know

Post Thanks / Like

It works well. Nice piece of machining. I did not want to bother with the body bracket since i use the grip, and they have nothing for that. This is a very good alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree don't want anything for the grip so this will work nice when I use longer lenses like the 85,135 and I'll probably get the high speed 200 when I get some cash. It has no lens bracket so this will be perfect.