The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elinchrom RF3000 ring flash

ocarlo

Hi,
Just bought a used Ranger kit that came with the RF3000 ring flash.
Comes with the adapter cable for Ranger RX pack.
Anyone have similar? Any issues, esp at using a 3000ws head on a 1100ws pack at lower settings?
Will the Hensel modifiers fit on this rig?
Any help would be much much appreciated.

S

syndony

The latest Eli RF3000 is a rebadged hensel so the octahaze softbox also fits it, mine should be arriving tomorrow so I can tell you the difference it makes after that! There's a diffuser glass available as an accessory, also no longer needs a screwdriver to mount on the camera and the whole bracket thing has been redesigned.

ocarlo

cool!
I'm two weeks away from receiving the kit (am in Africa) and would love to see your tests.
I'm really psyched to test my new rig (2 ranger packs, 3 A heads and 1 S head) - using spot grids for main light.
The ringflash I might test as a fill. but still on a on-camera axis. Although...
They say that w/o makeup/styling the ringflash can be a cruel light - but that might also do the trick for certain things...
==============================================================
From Elinchrom support:
# Please connect first all cables and the adapter to the power pack, before you switch on the Ranger, to avoid arching contacts.
# Minimum power settings is approximately 3.5 – 4.5. Below these settings it can happen that the RF tends to misfire, due to the large 4 pole flash tube, which requires some power to work proper. Further we would suggest to use either the heads or the RF, or increase power settings if you require the RF and a Flashhead used with one power pack.
# Further accessories for the RF are not available.
============================================================
++ have you had these misfires at low settings as they say?
so thanks - this is fantastic news that the Octahaze works with it - but that'll be for another time I guess.
Would appreciate seeing your test, when you can...
carlo