The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Elinchrom Dlite - might just do it

LJL

Ben,
First off, thanks for sharing that gallery of images. I now have a much better appreciation of just what you have to contend with. That being said, I think you have done a fantastic job of capturing all that is going on, complete with difficult lighting, constantly changing positions, etc. I see why this is such a challenge.

(From the ceremony perspective, and showing no disrespect, I was getting rather worried at all the serious solemnity, especially with the men. It was not until image 185 or so that any joy really showed when the bride lifted her veil and was wiping away a tear. Great moment. Then things got cranked up at the reception, but it took until image 595 before the bride and groom actually got to see each other again after taking vows. Wow. I really did gain a better perspective, and did enjoy going through all 600 shots. As Marc said, almost exhausting just clicking through, so shooting must have been a whole lot more draining. Great effort and nice results.)

Based on what I saw, and you say this is typical, my thoughts are that you should seriously consider units that can take the beating and use....like the D1s that have been discussed, or the Compacts. Do not know the real equivalents in Elinchrom line nor Hensel line, but you would appreciate the bigger guns. I know they are not as cheap as the ABs, but I do think they would handle the recycle times and repeated use with less stress, and throw enough light into the brollies that you need for coverage. That is a tough setting. Lots of area needing even light. Suggests higher horsepower, fast recycle. That in turn starts to eliminate lots of the lower end gear, or just plan to replace stuff much more often. Do not see a really inexpensive way to get what you need, but that is just my limited perspective and how I have worked. Your style and approach needs the broad, even, consistent lighting.

Not much I can add beyond that, but do appreciate the challenge. Makes an upcoming shoot I have look like a cakewalk in comparison ;-)

LJ

robertwright

nice work ben- thats one big challah bread!:)

don't forget that the 580exII has an auto mode using the sensor in front- you could combine on camera flash and either optical slave or pw via the pc port to the other room lights. I've put my 580 on a custom bracket's mini RC bracket- that way I can do horizontal and vertical easily, and then have another hot shoe bracket to hold the pw synced through the pc connect. Everything fires. With pw you can stick to ttl on camera and fire the room remotely, or auto as I said above.

I see a pair of D1airs in your future. And another challah! Yum! (do you get to eat during these affairs? the food must be incredible.

Ben Rubinstein

Thanks folks for the comments. As I said, an extremely formal wedding, very heavily formals heavy and solemn ceremony - and this was a relatively 'chilled' Chassidic wedding! At least they would look at each other in the photos though of course touching in photos (or anywhere in public) is extremely taboo.

This was the 2nd similar wedding of that week and I'd had the Purim festival on Sunday (only Jewish festival where you're expected to get really drunk but I had a wedding the next day:D). I started shooting at 1pm in Glasgow, Scotland. The wedding finished at 2am (early for a chassidic wedding). I loaded up the car, drove 4 hours back to Manchester, England, offloaded the gear, had a shower then drove to the airport and boarded a plane back to Jerusalem. Got home at 8pm having still not had a wink of sleep. Such is my life.

Did anyone notice the picture of me and my family? The bride is my neice (by marriage, my wifes sister is the mother of the bride, her husband is chassidic, now the Rabbi of the biggest Synagogue in Glasgow, Scotland) my assistant took it and I cloned out the lens pouches in PS :D You may notice that I am firmly not chassidic as proven by my lack of furry hat! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

nice work ben- thats one big challah bread!:)

don't forget that the 580exII has an auto mode using the sensor in front- you could combine on camera flash and either optical slave or pw via the pc port to the other room lights. I've put my 580 on a custom bracket's mini RC bracket- that way I can do horizontal and vertical easily, and then have another hot shoe bracket to hold the pw synced through the pc connect. Everything fires. With pw you can stick to ttl on camera and fire the room remotely, or auto as I said above.

I see a pair of D1airs in your future. And another challah! Yum! (do you get to eat during these affairs? the food must be incredible.
The 'Kitke' Challah (huge loaf of bread) was indeed massive and I shot it wide angle to emphasise it. Looks rather phallic actually in the picture but I'm sure the pure innocent minds of these highly religious people wouldn't have leapt to that conclusion unlike my sewer of a mind :ROTFL:.

I shoot a lot with a mixture of manual flash and ETTL, got it down to a fine art over the years. Trick is to let ETTL do the foreground and set up the strobe lighting for boosting ambient, as backlight and kicker lights. I used to shoot auto flash but now have ETTL fully tamed and obedient :D

I use a demb bracket and bounce card in the house, can bounce any direction I like. Outdoor portraits are done with a 2 light setup, main off camera and on camera fill. Formals are shot with two lights shot into brollies and a background light (which was way too hot but anyway). The hall was 2 strobes to boost ambient and provide accent when (purposely) used as backlighting and 2 speedlights firing in manual as kicker lights with a flash on camera for fill.

Last edited:

LJL

Did anyone notice the picture of me and my family? The bride is my neice (by marriage, my wifes sister is the mother of the bride, her husband is chassidic, now the Rabbi of the biggest Synagogue in Glasgow, Scotland) my assistant took it and I cloned out the lens pouches in PS :D You may notice that I am firmly not chassidic as proven by my lack of furry hat! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I thought it was more the lack of shorter pants and formal shoes that gave it away :ROTFL::ROTFL: Ah, the furry hat would have made you look way too tall in this shot also, much as the bride's/groom' father or rabbi in the other shots. He be a very tall man in those shots ;)

Again, thanks for sharing the images, culture and lifestyle. Hope you caught up on some sleep. My only other comment.....whatever you are charging for your work is not enough :lecture: If you had more income, the lighting challenge may be less daunting from the cost perspective.....:thumbup:

LJ

Ben Rubinstein

I don't have all my gear with me here Marc and I don't as yet have the PW which will be bulkier but if you don't mind me describing it.

With bracket: Flash on bracket, radio trigger velcroed onto top of the Off camera Cords hotshoe thingy and fired using PC sync cable. Radiopopper on head of flash.

Without bracket: The same but with the radio slave velcroed onto the left hand side of flash body (not the battery door side).

I'm newish to the bracket (6 months) but I've been doing it without the bracket for years now. The radio slave and battery pack cord jostle a bit for space on the left side of the flash but the ebay ones I've been using till now are pretty tiny. It was this main consideration that pursuaded me to buy the PW FLex TT1 as transmitter for the PW system, it's small enough to velcro onto the side of a flash. Using the radiopopper as well, the spare real estate on a camera + flash + 2 different radio slaves is rather tight.

You could of course use the TT1 as intended, on the hotshoe with a flash on top of it. Two reasons why I don't. The PW hotshoe is not strong and there are already enough tales of it snapping mid wedding and your expensive speedlight taking a nasty tumble. Secondly if you use the TT1 like that then you have to work with the PW version of ETTL which is defficient in several important ways for the way I shoot.

robmac

Ben,

Looks like you made the right choice staying away from the new DLites. Looks like the new 'intelligent' (only on when thinks needed) fan cooling may not be that intelligent. odd behavior of fan, over-heat cutoffs after short shoots, etc. Start on page 5-6.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=847437&page=6

As an aside received my Compact 600 Specials - robust beasts, but like them so much (so far) may get 1-2 more. Talk about fast recycle.