The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quadra Updated!

robmac

It's (oops) NOT well advertised, but you can toggle the Quadra (or BXRi) modeling light(s) on/off via Skyport (timer settings remain on pack) - hold down the "+" button IIRC. As reference: Page 10, Quadra manual:

"The integrated EL-Skyport Transceiver offers:
• Wireless flash triggering / synchronisation
• Wireless control of the flash power setting
• Wireless on/off control of the LED Pilotlight
• Programmable 4 Groups
• Programmable 8 Frequency channels, to prevent interference with other wireless systems.
To activate and use these functions, the optional EL-Skyport Transmitter 19351 is required."

robmac

The new Skyport Trx is simply a form factor mod (after much bitching by users) to the old one - plus the addition of the 'dumb' trigger-only Speed unit for use with lights like the new DLites that have built-in receivers but no remote power control option.

Yeah, if I were to stay with Skyport I'd add a backup Transmitter and 1-2 backup receivers, full charged.

The remote power control is nice, but you need, as Jack mentions, to keep count of your +/- moves. The power level increments are as pre-set on the pack - 1/10 stop, 1/3rd, full stop etc. It's straight up/down in those preset increments - no ability to go from 1/10 +/- to a quick 1 push "dial it up 1 stop".

A visual indicator of power would be nice - or an ability for a 1 button reset to a pre-set level so you had a reference if you got distracted and were away from the pack.

Also - buy your Trx batteries in bulk, they can sometimes be hard to find.

fotografz

I do love the Skyport size but peeves:

- The non-locking hotshoe (added in the new variant) has caused cause intermittent contact problems (no triggers). I use a strip of gaffer to stop mine from falling out of the hotshoe, but need to reposition on occasion.

- No power light on the Trx (in new version).

- $%^&* receiver on/of button. What $%^& moron decide a top-mounted push button was the way to go on a unit where you can't field replace the batteries? ANY contact with ANYTHING in case turns it on and drains the recharged battery. Glued to grommets around mine so now have to turn on with tip of the sync cord - and have them velcro'd to the bottom of small Otter box.

- Rechargeable batteries in receivers. Me no like. Would much prefer batteries I can swap out in field - especially given preceding.

- Would love a cold shoe mount on the receivers. Mounting the units means velcro, etc - and that is not always great when moving around or when assistant has pack (AcuteB) over their shoulder, etc.

Good triggering range, nice control (when I shot Elinchrom) and all in all nice kit - but needs some switchology/ergo work, and while I'll likely move to old-school PW Plus IIs, they do seem to be addressing some of the issues with the MkII Trx.
What are you using now Rob?

For my location lighting kit I decided I didn't want to tear down my Profoto studio lighting set-up every time I had a location assignment. At the time I built the Profoto studio, AIR didn't exist, so PWs are the triggers .... which isn't an issue in the studio with packs and heads in softboxes and using monos for accent lights ... but is a hassle on location with mono-heads up high or in odd places.

So, I went with Hensel because of the adjustable transmitter and I already had a 1200 w/s Porty and modifiers. The Hensel transmitter controls the 1200 w/s Mini pack, the Porty-1200 and 500 w/s monos. Okay with two assistants on a commercial shoot, but not when alone or rushing at a wedding.

-Marc

robmac

I'm using AcuteB and Compact (600Ws). I'm using Skyport for triggering as they are simple a carry-over from my Eli days. No remote power control - Air on an Acute BII would be sweet (vs the simple triggering in the latest iteration). I really should have moved to PW given the R versions of the B I'm using, but quite simply haven't gotten around to it.

When I shot Eli I'd hoped the Quadra would do the job re: small, light, remote power but while I know many folks love it, I was so disgusted with the lack of build quality/robust design or inherent fragile design of teh Quadra heads and adapter (see my post in your WTB post), I gave up.

My opinion only obviously, but I describe the Quadra as "DLite construction meets Dynalite (head) design meets (near) Ranger price point". While the rubber trim on my Quadra pack wouldn't stay on to save itself and it had almost too many features (lost of menu trees), it was a nice powerful and small feature-rich unit. The heads and adapter were another matter. Your average speedlight is much better built than a Quadra head IMHO.

But, everyone's mileage and intended usage is different. Limit it to what was designed for, be careful what you mount on the heads and you're good to go. Like all Eli lights - great light, nice tunability and controls, but they need, for me, to marry the same level of physical construction and robustness to the effort they put into kicking-out the lumens.

I am 'concerned' Eli, while adding more & more electronic features in their new and updating products, is cutting back on (or not addressing) existing robustness issues to be able to implement the mods at a given price point - EVERY unit, DLite, BXRi and Quadra required some DIY work, time, $$ and limitations of usage to get and keep working right.

Even the latest DLites ITs - thicker plastic and BXRi swivel (which while stronger still needs to be modified) but same punk-a@@ weak dovetail system (two 1/8" x 2" strips of plastic) as the old one mounting the swivel to the bottom of the case. Negating any value from the thicker plastic - other than for Marketing purposes. I guess 101 new electronic features and options make for more attractive Marketing (and are cheaper to implement) than 'built like a tank' design and construction.

I'd considered the Ranger given it's excellent rep, but was reluctant as would not be surprised, to see the Ranger II start to mimic a more BXRi-like construction - more plastic, less metal, etc., but a myriad of new (and marketable) bells & whistles. However, the former is more important to me than the latter.

I'd been lusting after a move to PF for some time and after issues with my DLites and BXRi re: build quality and QC, the Quadra was the last straw and I jumped on some deals PF was offering last Fall. Would have explored Hensel, but in Canada, forget it - you'd think they didn't exist.

A Ranger head on a Quadra pack, while killing any modeling light and larger, would have worked great, but by that time I was a lost cause to Eli.

Last edited:

fotografz

Got the first Quadra kit yesterday ... discovered another misprint by B&H ... the kit comes with two batteries and their listing says one. Of course I ordered a second battery based on that info which was an unneeded extra expense ... to be returned.

The heads are tiny, but the swivel stand clamp is a joke ... plus the head only takes Elinchrom umbrellas with the smaller shaft ... the largest of which is a 41". I will just use my standard adjustable umbrella bracket and use the adjustment bracket on the head to aim the light into my 60" ribless Eclipse umbrellas.

I will cancel the order for the adapter to use other standard Elinchrom modifiers ... I doubt this head clamp could hold much. I'll wait until I can find the Quadra 7" grid reflector, and use my 7" milk white half dome diffusers which I know work well with a hand held boom arm ... I even have a half dome with a 2" circular center grid.

BTW, I found a nice boom arm "light stick" for this Quadra head ... an INT 333 Interfit Boom Arm with a rubber end cap and padded grip that extends to 86" $24. new! :thumbup:

First use is this Sunday for an engagement session in rally low light using the H4D/40 and Leica M9. That'll be the real test.

-Marc

robmac

Marc,

Using a secondary umbrella holder and re-centering the light is a good idea and what most folks end up doing. First time I mounted a small Softlighter II on a Quadra was the last - the tube is far too fragile. Some folks on POTN have come up with some creative ways to do so using two umbrella holders attached at 90 deg angles.

Also, simply mounting the umbrella in an 026, etc., and letting the Quadra hang off the shaft in front of the holder (vs attached to it) doesn't work well - the head keeps wanting to rotate around the shaft (e.g. head hangs underneath the shaft). Not a biggie but annoying - especially if your moving around at all - you just watch the head (and very exposed tube) pendulum back and forth.

NOTE on the adapter - the EL-Q adapter has it's own swivel. It's still very weak and needs the typical Eli 'Manfrotto 026' mod to hold anything even remotely substantive, but the lamp just hangs off it. Sadly, the adapter does not have an umbrella clamp - simply a hole thru which the shaft passes enroute back to the lamp.

The Quadra really is a unit designed for it's own line of mods or small light strobist style gear. Note - don't bother buying a new Quadra softbox unless you like spending $120 +/- on a $25 softbox with a nylon speedring. I bought used and sold mine similarily for about $50 and that felt like highway robbery.

Nice find on the light stick.

fotografz

Here's how I set this up for simple posed wedding stuff ... rock solid, no head rotation or anything. Can move it around like an assistant would (LOL!) and it doesn't move.

Have to do it this way ... I'm not giving up the 60" Eclipse umbrellas, so I need the umbrella bracket anyway.

Cheap flimsy umbrella mount on a little head that's best used with an umbrella, and Elinchrom's instance on keeping a smaller shaft diameter on all their heads, is amateurish at best.

But this will sure be better than all the stuff I've tried so far when it comes to a small lightweight solution for off-camera wedding stuff. Way better.

-Marc

robmac

Only way to do it..

I take it you like the Eclipse for the cleaner catchlights?

On the Q - for a unit designed, in many cases, literally to be used in 'the field' and by wedding/event shooters exactly how you're hoping, using umbrellas and modest sized softboxes, why they didn't step up on the head construction is beyond me.

I can understand not wanting to hurt Ranger sales and keep things light, but differentiate vs the Ranger based on power, tunability and features, not construction. Keep the unit simple, small, strong and durable with basic features and remote power control. Had high hopes for mine, but after working with it...

The heads weigh less than a speedlight yet kicks-out 4x+ the power so an Alu or alloy housing wouldn't be a killer for anyone. Use a decent an umbrella tube, with a locking mechanism, etc that runs through the lamp close to the center axis so you can 'Hollywood' the unit with an umbrella and not worry about it. Use a bloody swivel that will hold a decent modifier, etc.

Having studio-like control features like 101 menu trees to flip thru when you're in a hurry to alter a setting, tunability 8 ways from Xmas when most folks will tweak two settings and leave it , wireless firmware updating capability, etc., in my mind are ill-spent R&D dollars on a field 'strobist' style pack that can't even hold an umbrella or decent softbox straight out of the box.

Great concept, nice light, but execution, on the heads, that is simply a head-scratcher.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You guys know you can buy and adapter cable that allows you to use the beefier Ranger heads on the Quadra? I only mention this because speaking for myself, if I'm bothering to use an umbrella, I'm mounting the head on a stand, and if I'm mounting the head on a stand, then the pack isn't moving with me and I can use my regular Ranger pack... But if I wanted to standardize on Quadra packs and batteries for an event like a wedding, then I'd still use the beefier Ranger heads on the Quadra packs and avoid all of the issues above. That said, I do have the same Bogen swivel mount and a 40" dual umbrella (shoot through and regular), as well as a tiny stand I carry with the Quadra for just in case.

robmac

I'd looked at going with the Ranger head+cable+Q pack, even with the loss of the modeling light, but by that time my temper wouldn't allow me to give Eli any more chances (or $$) - and gave me the last push I needed to call my Profoto dealer.

I'm now a die-hard, ain't going anywhere, born-again, "...from my cold dead hands..", etc., etc., ad nauseam Profoto addict, but still remain curious (trepidatious would really be more accurate) as to what the new rumored RXi monolights and any Ranger update will look like. Chatter has it, for what that's worth, that a lot of gear updates/changes are coming.

fotografz

Jack, Rob ... I''m happy ... this is better than anything else I've tried (assuming it works okay on the job and not just in theory ... :eek: ).

It has more than 2 or 3 times the power of any "strobists" speed-light solution, the heads take up very little space, and space it the premium for wedding stuff ... otherwise I'd still have the Profoto kit. I'm getting to old to schlep that kind of load around anymore :ROTFL:

I now use a Light Caddy to carry the stands/umbrellas and light stick ... and once I find a good HD padded sock to cover the heads, I'll leave them on the stands just like I did with the bare bulb lights. The Light Caddy dividers and a bungie cord keep everything from jostling around to much.

Thanks for all the input guys! :thumbs:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
See that is really the beauty of the Quadra. It is extremely small so overlooking a plastic adapter and feeling cheap head it is so small that it is pocketable. I'm going to rig 2 foot pole to my head and run around with the head on top , shoulder pack over the shoulder and get great shots. Now I amy look like a alien doing it but that would be the ticket for it. I agree with Jack if I am going to use a umbrella and softbox than the Ranger head would be a better way to go. I use a diffusion sock on it and works a charm . But that new cover I have to look at because that is exactly what I want. Hell just order it and find out is what i am going to do.

fotografz

Someone really stole this one out of my brain. I wanted this since it was announced a year ago for the Quadra's. Just ordered it and will report

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...om_EL_25100_Multifunction_Cap_for_Ranger.html
Beat you to it ... mine just came and are installed :ROTFL:

No need to buy these ... you get one free for each head you bought based on the latest Manfrotto promo (if you still have your receipt).

Of course I bought mine already before I found this out ... which is fine because I want to use them this Sunday.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/si...onid=78690AC859EE7B58983CDF674993D9DA.worker3

Marc

robmac

No worries on the input.

Treat a Q head like a set of ganged speedlights with an all-day battery attached and full remote control and they'll be golden. Used as designed - forgetting adapters, etc and just running them with their own reflector and say a diffuser and they will work like a charm. It's when people start to believe Eli's marketing and try and extend their use further that the weaknesses rear their heads. A Ranger Lite they are not.

One note on the new covers - take a careful hand with the tabs, there have been complaints of them being prone breaking (from UK/EU users who've apparently had them for some time already), but have had no first-hand experience myself.

Not sure about the pole-on-your-head scenario...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Beat you to it ... mine just came and are installed :ROTFL:

No need to buy these ... you get one free for each head you bought based on the latest Manfrotto promo (if you still have your receipt).

Of course I bought mine already before I found this out ... which is fine because I want to use them this Sunday.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/si...onid=78690AC859EE7B58983CDF674993D9DA.worker3

Marc
Damn you . LOL Now you tell me about the Promo. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Thanks bud and I just sent it to Jack also since he just got his a little while ago and did not get one either. Like always us guinea pigs get the scraps.

fotografz

Damn you . LOL Now you tell me about the Promo. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Thanks bud and I just sent it to Jack also since he just got his a little while ago and did not get one either. Like always us guinea pigs get the scraps.
Guy, I figured out how to add the Skyport when using on-camera flash for fill.

I MacGyver'ed it ...

Took one of those little red knobbed Stroboframe speed-light clamps used for their brackets, and used one of my Wife's black hair bungies to secure it to the top of the Metz 54 or to a monopod/tripod leg ... just like those caddies for Pocket Wizards work.

Works like a charm ... able to move around using adjustable on-camera fill, while firing the Quadra's.

-Marc

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a PC cabled hot shoe adapter for triggering a hot shoe flash from a PC out only camera, and I have a generic Skyport receiver that takes different cables, one of which is a PC out. So why can't I just hook the Metz up via that receiver, and trigger everything together with a single Skyport on camera?