The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quadra Updated!

D

DerekJ

I just wanted to let the forum know that Elinchrom has recently upgraded the popular Quadra:

http://elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=36#content

New features include:

- Normal and Speed-Sync Mode.
From Elinchrom: The latest EL-Skyport Transmitter SPEED offers the "SPEED SYNC" mode for digital SLR cameras up to 1/250 s. SLR cameras with large chip system did not allow faster sync speeds than a 1/160 s, the latest EL-Skyport Transmitter Speed offer the "SPEED Sync" mode settings, which have been already available for all Quadra EL-Skyport "built-in" Receiver modules.

- Brighter LED's (easier to see outdoors)
- RX computer control (very cool!)

These features are only available on the new Ranger RX Quadra AS version. Elinchrom says that it'll be available soon.

Cheers,
Derek

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Derek not sure but is there actually a new Skyport transmitter. I can't seem to find data specifically for it and will it handle 1/1600 of a second shutters from Phase is the real question. Most I could get out of the old one is 1/800 with the Skyport on my existing Quadra

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Has the recycle time been improved too? It appears the spec for the old pack was 2.2 seconds at full power and the new is spec'd at a blazing 1/2 sec at full power (a spec I find difficult to believe) ???

D

DerekJ

Hello Jack and Guy,
I thought the remark regarding the Skyport SPEED was interesting, hopefully Elinchrom will release more information about this in the near future. I'll be sure too post word here as soon as I learn what the deal is.

I haven't actually gotten my hands on the new Quadra yet, but as far as I know the recycle time has not been changed.

Cheers,
Derek

fotografz

Hello Jack and Guy,
I thought the remark regarding the Skyport SPEED was interesting, hopefully Elinchrom will release more information about this in the near future. I'll be sure too post word here as soon as I learn what the deal is.

I haven't actually gotten my hands on the new Quadra yet, but as far as I know the recycle time has not been changed.

Cheers,
Derek
Recycle speed is the same. The spec's on the B&H site are incorrect ... and I told them so.

Wireless sync speed looks to have improved with the new RX AS Skyport. Which is probably why the individual previous version of the Skyport isn't available.

What isn't clear is whether the new Skyport will work with older Quadra packs ... this from the Elimchrom site makes it seem they will work but starting when?:

" ... the latest EL-Skyport Transmitter Speed offer the "SPEED Sync" mode settings, which have been already available for all Quadra EL-Skyport "built-in" Receiver modules."

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Problem with the SPEED transmitter (or at least the one they were shipping until now) is that you can't control groups or ratios, it's a simple on or off trigger.

Guy Mancuso

Hmmm I can control power and modeling lamp on 4 channels. Modeling light is on/off but I can lower or raise power on any head on any channel. I have my three monolights on channel 1,2,3 and just by switching channel on transmitter I can adjust power output

fotografz

Hmmm I can control power and modeling lamp on 4 channels. Modeling light is on/off but I can lower or raise power on any head on any channel. I have my three monolights on channel 1,2,3 and just by switching channel on transmitter I can adjust power output
Very confusing.

Can you control power levels of your Quadra with the current Skyport Guy?

Are your Monos RX models?

The new Quadra is an RX.

-Marc

fotografz

Guy, I'm talking about the new SPEED transmitter, do you have that one?
Ben,

What is a "speed" transmitter? I can't find it on the Elinchrom site.

This is the stock Skyport that comes with the current Quadra AS (lifted from their web site):

EL-Skyport Transmitter
This module controls basic functions of an Elinchrom RX unit to which a Transceiver RX 19353 is attached. To control all RX functions the USB Transceiver RX 19354 and the latest EL Skyport software is required which also offers additional features such as “strobing”. The Transmitter synchronises remote flash units when each is fitted with either a “Universal” (fitting all flash brands) or the Transceiver RX (fitting Style RX, Digital RX and Ranger RX units) or units with EL-Skyport Tranceiver inside (BXRi 250/500 & Ranger Quadra AS). The RX Transceiver also provides control over the power and modelling lamp of all Elinchrom RX flash units, directly from the Skyport Transmitter.

Compatible with BXRi 250 / 500 and Ranger Quadra AS with "onboard" EL Skyport Tranceiver.

Marc

I get the first set today and I'll see if the stock Skyport controls Quadra power levels from the camera. Hope so.

robmac

Universal Skyport (existing ones) controls power up/down on the Quadra from the hotshoe - and will turn the modeling light(s) on/off. Same as it does for the BXRIs. Works fine. The upcoming Skyport Trx has a locking shoe mount, larger buttons, a different side slide switch and a power-on LED

Still not 100% clear on what the new 'Speed' Trx (announced with the new DLite ITs) actually does/doesn't do other than trigger the lights and MAYBE have less latency so you can maybe get another hair of sync speed out of it? My Skyport shaves about 1/50th off my max sync. The Speed unit comes across as Skyport Trx Lite (e.g. Profoto Air Sync vs full Air) for simple triggering only -- the 'speed' part is still a head-scratcher.

They need to clean up the marketing collateral.

They have a myriad of recycle times on the 'new' RX in the specs and some that look impressive but make NO mention of such a large bragging point (much short recycle vs the Mark I) in the collateral, focusing instead on RX USB control (for a field/strobist pack?) and wireless firmware updating ability. My guess is given that and the fact is same batteries, cables, heads and pack guts, the specs need to cleaned up.

This last one (wireless updating) is just odd to spend R&D on. Is someone's going to update their Quadra firmware from their laptop standing in the parking lot of a church or in a field somewhere?. Given that it might be 1/year and you still likely have to physically restart the pack after the update anyway - give me a USB port and put the $$ into another 200WS, a decent umbrella tube or adapter, etc. I mean a broadcast update to a studio full of RXs or packs I could see, but the Quadra?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Very confusing.

Can you control power levels of your Quadra with the current Skyport Guy?

Are your Monos RX models?

The new Quadra is an RX.

-Marc
I can control power on both the Quadra and the Monolight BXI 500 units. I have the original Quadra and the original skyports. Here is what I have so no confusion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...L_19351_EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632658-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10292_1_Ranger_Quadra_Head_S.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602685-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20461_1_Style_500_BXRi_Compact.html

Guy Mancuso

One reason I love the Skyports is because of size but I can control power from the transmitter on 4 different channels and can set both Mono and Quadra on any channel I decide 1,2,3,4

Guy Mancuso

Now with this Skyport and the Phase LS lenses and i would assume the Hassy as well you can go to 1/800 of a second with shutter. I could not go above that with 1/1600 of a sec.

I think the cutoff is 1/1000.

I shot with it last night and it seems like 2.2 seconds for full power to recycle which for me is fine. It's a call to the group one more please and your ready

robmac

I do love the Skyport size but peeves:

- The non-locking hotshoe (added in the new variant) has caused cause intermittent contact problems (no triggers). I use a strip of gaffer to stop mine from falling out of the hotshoe, but need to reposition on occasion.

- No power light on the Trx (in new version).

- $%^&* receiver on/of button. What $%^& moron decide a top-mounted push button was the way to go on a unit where you can't field replace the batteries? ANY contact with ANYTHING in case turns it on and drains the recharged battery. Glued to grommets around mine so now have to turn on with tip of the sync cord - and have them velcro'd to the bottom of small Otter box.

- Rechargeable batteries in receivers. Me no like. Would much prefer batteries I can swap out in field - especially given preceding.

- Would love a cold shoe mount on the receivers. Mounting the units means velcro, etc - and that is not always great when moving around or when assistant has pack (AcuteB) over their shoulder, etc.

Good triggering range, nice control (when I shot Elinchrom) and all in all nice kit - but needs some switchology/ergo work, and while I'll likely move to old-school PW Plus IIs, they do seem to be addressing some of the issues with the MkII Trx.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I get the first set today and I'll see if the stock Skyport controls Quadra power levels from the camera. Hope so.

It does. On the REGULAR transmitter, you have 4 groups you can control independently, adjust or fire individually or all together. You adjust power up or down using the transmitter but you get no visible feedback at the transmitter, it's a count thing, but you do see the change on the pack readout.

From what I understand the new SPEED transmitter does not have this functionality, just faster synch speeds.

fotografz

It does. On the REGULAR transmitter, you have 4 groups you can control independently, adjust or fire individually or all together. You adjust power up or down using the transmitter but you get no visible feedback at the transmitter, it's a count thing, but you do see the change on the pack readout.

From what I understand the new SPEED transmitter does not have this functionality, just faster synch speeds.
Thanks for confirming that Jack ... they can keep the new one then.

My main interest in this was a highly portable wedding & portrait kit ... and I was under the impression you could adjust the power and switch on/off the modeling light from the camera ... but came to distrust anything I read after the B&H recycle misinformation.

Placing lights 10 feet in the air and bringing them back down for every adjustment doesn't work very well at a wedding.:thumbdown:

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

They are shipping the new ones (speed) with the d-lite it strobes, as far as I know they don't sell them seperately as yet though they say that it's coming soon. I had assumed that the new functionality was to make these work with the quadras too for when they are finally released.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for confirming that Jack ... they can keep the new one then.

My main interest in this was a highly portable wedding & portrait kit ... and I was under the impression you could adjust the power and switch on/off the modeling light from the camera ... but came to distrust anything I read after the B&H recycle misinformation.

Placing lights 10 feet in the air and bringing them back down for every adjustment doesn't work very well at a wedding.:thumbdown:

-Marc
The modeling light is not controllable from the Skyport AFAIK... But you do have a few optional settings at the pack that control always ON, always OFF, or timed ON to OFF. FWIW the Quadra modeling light is an impressively bright LED...

fotografz

The upcoming Skyport Trx has a locking shoe mount, larger buttons, a different side slide switch and a power-on LED

They need to clean up the marketing collateral.

They have a myriad of recycle times on the 'new' RX in the specs and some that look impressive but make NO mention of such a large bragging point (much short recycle vs the Mark I) in the collateral, focusing instead on RX USB control (for a field/strobist pack?) and wireless firmware updating ability. My guess is given that and the fact is same batteries, cables, heads and pack guts, the specs need to cleaned up.

This last one (wireless updating) is just odd to spend R&D on. Is someone's going to update their Quadra firmware from their laptop standing in the parking lot of a church or in a field somewhere?.

I mean a broadcast update to a studio full of RXs or packs I could see, but the Quadra?
Looks like adding a Skyport Trx and having the existing one for back-up would be worth looking into later if it turns out to work with existing Quadra packs ... their literature leads me to believe it will.

Agree on the wireless update ... :wtf:

A studio full of Elinchroms? ... been there done that ... works for others but not for me, no thanks! ;)

-Marc