The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lighting

dseelig

Well I am done with my current lighting. I want something light and constant color temp. I want at 1200 watts for at least one head, yes money is tight, profoto not to be. How are the elinchroms 600 and 1200 monoheads. I would also like a pack anyone use the elinchrom 2400 watt pack? Also anyone use the dynalite 1600 roadmax kit Is the color temp consistent as you go up and down in watt usage? Thanks David

fotografz

Also take a look at the Hensel Pro-Mini 1200AS two head kit. Baby small with Big Boy punch. One of the best bangs for the buck out there IMO:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2250&N=4294551075+4291101918

I got this kit to take on industrial and location shoots because it was so much smaller than my Profoto gear while providing precise asymmetrical control with very consistent color temps flash-to-flash. The generator box is actually tiny, as are the Pro-Mini 1200 heads (which also work on the Hensel Porty battery unit if that is added later). It has 4 outlets so you can add heads as needed. It's auto dump and uses the Hensel Strobe Wizard for full channeled control right at the camera position.

Personally based on lots of experience on location and in studio, the Hensel light modifier mount is much better designed than the Elinchrom, and second only to the Profoto mount. Speed rings and a large choice of light modifiers are available in Hensel mount. Hensel makes one of the best beauty dishes I've ever used.

-Marc

J

jamie123

Elinchrom has a wide variety of light shapers at very good prices and they're very easy to set up. That being said, the Elinchrom mount is just horrible. I recently rented a couple of Elinchrom's for a job and when I was setting up the lights the cover for the flashbulb just wouldn't come off. It took me about ten minutes to get it off with a lot of force and wiggling. And all this in front of the client! Terrribly embarassing.
When I brought the lights back to the rental place and told them about it they said "Yeah, sometimes they get stuck". That would definitely not have happened with the Profoto mount.

Also, I don't know what line of Elinchrom monolights you're considering but the BXRi line is definitely not pro equipment. The light stand mount is cheap and plasticky and it struggles to hold the head in position with even a small 1x1m softbox.

dseelig

I was just on a job where my soft box fell of my flash head. Elinchrom dies appear to have gone cheaper with there plastic mono heads. Really starting to consider the hensel seems to be better built then elinchrom and a little cheaper then profoto. anyone else use hensel.

J

jamie123

Hensel does look interesting but whatever route you go, it's best to rent first. If you do decide to go the Profoto way, there's an Elinchrom to Profoto Adapter that lets you use all of the Elinchrom modifiers on Profoto heads.

RGoldman

I've been using the Hensel Integra monolights for years and am very happy with them. Built like a tank and never a problem with the mounts. They hold up a 7' Octodome easily even when moving them around the studio. The modifiers can be a little hard to come by at times. For some unknown reason, the dealers don't seem to keep much on hand but can get what you want in a week or two.
I have not used their porty's or packs but if they are anything like the integra's, they should be great.

Ron