The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

haring

I would like to buy a few natural density graduated filters. Lee or the Singh-Ray ones... I am not sure which size I should buy. I would like to use them with my Canon 17-40mm f/4 lens (filter size 77mm) or I can borrow my friends Nikon 14-24mm 2.8g lens.
Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...
Thanks!

carl-b

TBH i would go with the larger 4 x 6 filters, yes they cost more and so do the holders and adapter rings. With the P size filters on wide angle lenses, you will often find you get vignetting, and it can be quite bad.
Also you will find the 14-24mm will need the new Lee filter system
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/693472-REG/LEE_Filters_KIT_SW150_SW150_Filter_Holder_Kit.html plus the 150mm x 150mm filters.
Another option filter wise, which i think is more popular over there in the US than here in the UK, is the Hitech filters system. I think they are available from B&H aswell.

haring

So if want to use a 4x6 filter on my Canon 17-40mm (filter size 77mm):

- I need an Cokin XPRO filter holder, and
- a Cokin 77mm XPRO adapter ring.

AM I right?

carl-b

You can use the X pro system, however the filters are a different size again.
130mm wide, i think Lee make some filters at that size, not sure about Singh Ray?
Just checked and they do make filters to fit the X pro system.
However others may know better than me, regarding this but the 4inch ( 100mm ) filter systems should be more than adequate for that size lens.
I personally use the Lee holder with Hitech filters, and that is fine on my sigma 10-20mm with my D200 - no vignetting

haring

You can use the X pro system, however the filters are a different size again.
130mm wide, i think Lee make some filters at that size, not sure about Singh Ray?
Just checked and they do make filters to fit the X pro system.
However others may know better than me, regarding this but the 4inch ( 100mm ) filter systems should be more than adequate for that size lens.
I personally use the Lee holder with Hitech filters, and that is fine on my sigma 10-20mm with my D200 - no vignetting
I see. I will ask around.