Site Sponsors

Thread: Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

I would like to buy a few natural density graduated filters. Lee or the Singh-Ray ones... I am not sure which size I should buy. I would like to use them with my Canon 17-40mm f/4 lens (filter size 77mm) or I can borrow my friends Nikon 14-24mm 2.8g lens.
    Which filter size should I buy? The 4x6 is twice as much...
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Size "P" or 4x6 filter? Which one?

TBH i would go with the larger 4 x 6 filters, yes they cost more and so do the holders and adapter rings. With the P size filters on wide angle lenses, you will often find you get vignetting, and it can be quite bad.
    Also you will find the 14-24mm will need the new Lee filter system
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...older_Kit.html plus the 150mm x 150mm filters.
    Another option filter wise, which i think is more popular over there in the US than here in the UK, is the Hitech filters system. I think they are available from B&H aswell.

Post Thanks / Like

So if want to use a 4x6 filter on my Canon 17-40mm (filter size 77mm):

- I need an Cokin XPRO filter holder, and
    - a Cokin 77mm XPRO adapter ring.

AM I right?

Post Thanks / Like

You can use the X pro system, however the filters are a different size again.
    130mm wide, i think Lee make some filters at that size, not sure about Singh Ray?
    Just checked and they do make filters to fit the X pro system.
    However others may know better than me, regarding this but the 4inch ( 100mm ) filter systems should be more than adequate for that size lens.
    I personally use the Lee holder with Hitech filters, and that is fine on my sigma 10-20mm with my D200 - no vignetting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carl-b View Post
    You can use the X pro system, however the filters are a different size again.
    130mm wide, i think Lee make some filters at that size, not sure about Singh Ray?
    Just checked and they do make filters to fit the X pro system.
    However others may know better than me, regarding this but the 4inch ( 100mm ) filter systems should be more than adequate for that size lens.
    I personally use the Lee holder with Hitech filters, and that is fine on my sigma 10-20mm with my D200 - no vignetting
    I see. I will ask around.