Site Sponsors

Thread: Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500?

I am looking for some quality light for table top photography and lights for weddings.
    My questions: Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500? I would like to get the new D1 but they are expensive. Is the light quality of the Compact and the D1 is similar?
    Thanks a lot!

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500?

I bought a D1 500 Air kit last year as I wanted decent light for the winter months. At that point there was a fair amount of discussion about the flat frosted glass that is on the D1s. I ended up buying the replacement cover which looks like the 300/600 series in order to use a beauty dish and magnum reflector.

My sense from the discussion is that the older units had a bit broader spread which was modified by Profoto reflectors in a specific pattern which everyone liked. It appears that the quality of D1 light is very similar to the 300/600 in color consistency and output other than the slightly more narrow spread with the flat cover.

300/600s have a reputation for great quality and long life...as long as you set the correct voltage on them...US v Europe.

Should serve your purposes well.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Profoto Compact 600 comparable to D1 500?

Thanks Bob!