Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So many portable choices!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So many portable choices!

I took the Profoto because indeed every rental house in the world has them, they are multi voltage and the resale value is pretty well too (next to the light and built quality).

The D1 might be plastic but it is the kind you could use for tanks too.

The beauty light that I find fantastic are the Mola lights. I went through a lot of trouble getting mine to accept Elinchrom in the best possible way

The adapters give you the best of all worlds, Elinchrom has a lot of nice accessories, I like the rotalux boxes (deep Octa 70cm & 100cm), the fiber optic thing, etc.. It also means I don't have to immediately break the bank to get all Profoto modifiers.

But boy, I really love the 150cm Giant! Absolutely amazing fill light. Unobtrusive, omnipresent light that leaves gorgeous highlights. A pity I now lust for the 180cm Giant reflector, ouch!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I now plastic is not bad, hust metal for the feel!;-) Which Mola you prefer? I saw some, but they are biiig! The 150 Giant is from Profoto? Elinchrom brings also a Deep indirect 150cm Rotalux, I ordered about 6 month ago. I have also the Deep Octa 100 with a expensive grid, so I have to find the adapter!;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Seti but it is big. I use the Demi often. It is not very big and has a nice grid for it. Yes, the 150 is made by Profoto. It is indirect as well, I particularly like the catchlight it creates. Kind of shaped like a Propeller.

I know about the 150 Deep Octa indirect. Have to see it, might get on my list but the 180 Giant reflector probably before that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dustbak. The 150er Elinchrom looks a little bit cheap (and is, about Fr./USD 440.00). They have also the bigger, I think 190cm. He should be more stable. I wiil see. First I need Adapters!;-)
    rem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    Yes I now plastic is not bad, hust metal for the feel!;-) Which Mola you prefer? I saw some, but they are biiig! The 150 Giant is from Profoto? Elinchrom brings also a Deep indirect 150cm Rotalux, I ordered about 6 month ago. I have also the Deep Octa 100 with a expensive grid, so I have to find the adapter!;-)
    How do you like the grid on the Deep Octa?

Post Thanks / Like

I own a large portion of the Elinchrom line...

4 x RX600
    74" octabank
    2 x 39" Deep Octa
    3 x 130' reflectors
    2 x 8.5 reflectors with grids
    10.25 Reflector with grids
    Maxilite reflector w/grid
    gel kits for 8.5" reflectors
    Ranger Speed A/S kit with A and S heads
    Skyport Speeds, universal and EL.
    RF3000 Ringflash (With Hensel Sunhaze and Standard White Reflector)
    Ranger Quadra RX/AS with A & S heads.

I have to say it's really my favorite. Surely, Profotos are built like tanks, and sure rental network is great, but hell, i can buy Elinchrom outright after just a few Profoto rentals. Just too expensive for the difference. Of course this is subjective.

The Quadra's are the best thing i've ever had the chance to use. I've used them in over 50 weddings now and they never disappoint. I typically use it with either the Maxilite or 100DO

(This is a really interesting one, bright sunlight, check out the shadows, not too bad at all.)

Post Thanks / Like

Eekimel, till now I used them not so much. In the moment I do a lot of businessportraits and I find for this is the shadow to harsh. But when you really like to play with strong light and shadow then its perfect. I don't know the brand. I can look tomorrow.
    rem

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely stuff Symbol, Fotografz here also uses a quadra for wedding work.

For this wireless TTL shooter can you share how much set up/metering time shots like this take or are you eyeballing exposure from experience? With my wireless TTL I can dial in an off camera with on camera fill at any ratio desired within about a second and shoot even if I change the angles, distance to subject, etc, it all adjusts automatically. Problem is the Canon system at least sucks nastily for shooting this kind of lighting. It cannot work out that you're trying to light only the subject and not the sky you've darkened and just gives up. I've realised that I will need to learn fast setup manual strobe work when doing 'kill ambient' lighting as there is practically no time for shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot at weddings as you know.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ben, i can't speak for Fotografz, but my time is fast paced as you mentioned, so i dont have a lot of time to 'chimp'. I've now gotten to the point that i get within one shot of where i usually want to be. So technically since i'm not using a lightmeter that may be considered 'chimping', but like i said, 99% of the time, i'm within one shot of being where i want to be. So it doesn't take long to take a second shot.

I've never used TTL, so i can't speak to that, but Canon is easy.... set to 160th and just adjust the aperture and light output. MF with leaf lenses are more difficult in my eyes because you have 2 dimensions of adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rem View Post
    Eekimel, till now I used them not so much. In the moment I do a lot of businessportraits and I find for this is the shadow to harsh. But when you really like to play with strong light and shadow then its perfect. I don't know the brand. I can look tomorrow.
    rem
    Thanks, I 've seen a couple vendors. I think I'll skip them based on your shadow thoughts.

honeycomb

For battery packs, might as well check Explorer batteries. New models of battery packs are also coming out this June, they are said to work with multiple bi-voltage flash heads. No specific dates when it will be available in the market though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I just wanted to add a voice to this conversation, when shooting with ambient + strobe there is no camera on earth that will work better than your brain!

My greatest advise was this; It is the 6 inches behind the camera that takes the picture!

Forget ettl control, set the camera to manual and let your brain make the photo!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio View Post
    Hello,

I just wanted to add a voice to this conversation, when shooting with ambient + strobe there is no camera on earth that will work better than your brain!

My greatest advise was this; It is the 6 inches behind the camera that takes the picture!

Forget ettl control, set the camera to manual and let your brain make the photo!
    That same brain can master ETTL as I have done. It's when you are specifically shooting to underexpose ambient that the system has not been programmed for that and you need to use manual. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, even if it's an ugly baby!
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've decided on the Hensel L1200. At first, I was leaning towards the Profoto Acuteb2 lithium because of it's weight, but realizing that it might be more useful to have (2) 1200 w/s lights, with not too much additional weight gain. Another major consideration was the wireless controller. Hensel allows the use of the Profoto Air, which I own, and the range is almost a thousand feet! Profoto and Hensel do seem hard to find though, while checking the big photo suppliers, one minute it's in stock refresh the page it's not! Hensel also allows it to be used as a studio unit with the AC adapter, so no need for a second unit.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems more photo gear rental studios are starting to carry the Hensel L1200 Porty. CSI in NYC has the L1200...Perhaps, more suppliers will see the need for a better location unit that has good power and (2) strobes. Sometimes hauling in a generator to remote locations with the extra weight of fuel isn't very portable.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that when ordering a Hensel L1200 kit, the big photo suppliers list the light as a EH Pro mini 1200 P speed flash head, when in fact, the kit ships with the EH Pro mini 1200 P instead. A great light nonetheless, but not as fast and a difference of $180. Somehow the description got lost in translation, as Hensel's web site doesn't list the "speed" flash as included. Perhaps i'll get a replacement flash tube for the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I received my Hensel L1200 Special Kit with the EH Pro Mini (not Mini P) heads. I had now 2 shootings and they works great! Not yet received the AC Adapter. But the weight from the hole kit in the Hensel Box (2 tripods, 2 umbrellas, 1 L1200, 2 heads with reflector, charger etc.) is very heavy! Received also the new Hensel Expert D 1000. Big and heavy but build like a tank.
    rem

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Your kit is nicely stocked. Was this a special kit you ordered or a kit from Hensel?

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny, I ordered this from Hensel. Its not a "normal" one. I think the 65W Bulps are outside for nothing, so I have with this heads no modeling light outside, but I can use it with the 650W Lights inside with the AC Adaptor. The possible Flashes outside with full power is not so high...180-200 flashes...
    rem