The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many portable choices!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have been using my two quadras quite a bit lately and I just love the size , weight combination and the output has been great. BUT you do have to be very careful with the heads and pay attention to what you are doing so you do not damage things. I put them in a hard rolling pelican case and love this setup. I'm actually tempted to sell my AC mono lights but I don,t have the nerve so I will add another quadra at some point. Three setups would be great.

The Hensels do look nice as well. Its a tough call between size, weight and durability with the battery systems.

eekimel

The AB Mini Lithium does sound interesting. Are the EL 600s digitally controlled or analog? AB's literature seems to indicate a possible issue with digitally controlled mono's, and clearly states that they do not guarantee compatibility with heads other than their own. I can't determine if that's just hype to sell their heads or not.

I have a couple of older style Profoto 600 Compacts with analog controls that these would be perfect for taking on location, but when I move to AIR monos eventually, I'd like to know if these would still work?

I do like that they clip on the light stand so can be used to further stabilize the rig by clipping them low toward the base ... anything helps. Also, pretty nifty mobile solution for using an assistant carried Beauty Dish on a stick, which I do a lot.

3.5 sec recycle seems okay, but kinda slow for outdoor portrait/fashion work.

-Marc
I've used my Mini Lithium with my 600 RXs too, they're digital -- the recycle time is a function of the battery pack. Haven't run it down enough to know whether it would be a problem with the 600s

Dustbak

I have worked with Elinchrom for years. I can totally understand Marc's feelings about the mount. I have recently been changing towards Profoto.

Though I really enjoyed working with Elinchrom, I have used basically every of their product you can imagine, I have to admit Profoto is somewhat in a different league. The light is simply put 'nicer'. The biggest difference I noticed with multishot takes but also with single shot images the Profoto lights generate a 'brighter' more 'vivid' image.

The best part is that I can use all of my Elinchrom modifiers with an adapter! This also makes the transition from Elinchrom towards Profoto somewhat less painful.

I currently only use the Quadra's and my Ranger. I have sold all the RX generators & Style RX mono's (that really hurt).

I now use the D4 which I truly love for studio usage, I have never had anything that was so good and versatile. For location work I got 4 D1's which I have not had the opportunity to try but will do so this weekend. I also got an Acute2B600Air. Compared to the Quadra's the Acute2B looks like a relic. An indestructable relic but nevertheless. The size and weight is kind of comparable, the form factor of the Profoto appears to be nicer. I have not had the chance to compare but as so many things I think both the Quadra and the Acute2B are different enough to justify owning both of them :)

I have been pondering over the Pro-8Air instead of the D4 but I regularly use more than 2 lights which meant buying 2 of of the 8Air's. The D4 is also fairly fast (in flash duration as well as recycling) but naturally not as fast as the 8Air. I rarely need that so the price difference made me swing to the D4.

Choices, choices, choices :(

If only you could use 1 type of radio transmitter integrated into these flashes... (I think I spend more on receivers, transceivers & transmitters than many people spend on bodies or lenses :()

fotografz

After years with Elinchrom, I did the same thing ... moved to a pair of D4-2400 packs and never looked back ... but that adapter was a help for sure ... like for using the Profoto heads in the expensive Elinchrom Octabox and Gobo Box. However, you lose the Profoto ability to slide direct mount softbox modifiers back and forth to further shape and alter the lighting. So, not only is the Profoto mount much more secure, it is more versatile creatively. Actually, a simple but ingenious idea when you think about it.

Isn't lighting fascinating?

In many ways it is the least understood of our bag of tools, and there are so many that think "light is just light" and buy on price failing to realize that the value aspect is actually quite poor in the long run.

I recently was explaining this to a younger photographer that wanted to start building a studio and location capability but was on a budget. The cheaper alternatives were very attractive to him for obvious reasons. I advised that it would be better to forego yet another lens or digital do-dad, and step up his choice of lighting. BTW, I suggested he try and hunt down the older style Profoto 600R Compacts to start with ... one of the best price/value/performance buys out there if you can find them ... then they can be used as auxiliary lighting later when he expands.

I also agree that the whole radio transmitter thing has been a trip. An expensive trip. As I mentioned, if starting over (with enough cash :rolleyes:), I'd do all Profoto AIR and select Hensel 1200Ls for location because they are also AIR triggered.

After selling my older bullet proof, but huge Porty 1200 Plus kit, the only location kit I now have is a pair of Quadras and 5 heads. This is the best "one man band" outfit I could assemble at the time. I have the tiny heads mounted on stands and leave them there in a Light Caddy with 60" ribless umbrellas and all the various cords and connections. I found "padded socks" to cover the heads like golfers do ... which always gets funny comments from guests at weddings :)

But to tell the truth, while the Quadras are pretty nifty they are very limited. To do anything beyond the basic ratios requires two of them ... which adds up to more bulk than the Hensel but only delivers 800 w/s of user defined asymmetrical distribution compared to the Hensel 2 head 1200 w/s of symmetrical or asymmetrical distribution, and full ability to use the extensive modifier choices (Love the Hensel Beauty Dish). I do wish Profoto would make a smaller lith powered box with 800w/s and two head outlets ... their 600 is nice but one head

The other thing that pissed me off about the Elinchrom stuff, including the Quadras, was the different shaft diameter mount for umbrellas ... what an incredibly ignorant design idea ... probably the brainchild of some bean counter to sell more of their umbrellas by forcing you to use them, or hunt down some third party maker. Of course the best umbrellas aren't available in the Elinchrom shaft size, so you have to add umbrella brackets which then makes it so you can't fire straight into the center of the umbrella. Stupid ... makes you wonder if these people ever actually tried to use their own products.

-Marc

Dustbak

:) I almost forgot about the smaller diameter umbrella shaft in the Elinchroms. I tend to shy away from umbrellas as much as possible but indeed the times I try to ram a thicker shaft into the Elinchrom were quite numerous.

The D4 showed me that 'light is light' is a bull**** statement. You have to see it for yourself, that is for sure but there are certainly differences in quality of light.

I actually like the single head Acutes, it prevents me from the tempation of adding a second head and messing around with fixed ratios trying to make that work while using 1 pack per head is so much easier.

I now just have to try to stay away from Pro8Air's...

dseelig

It is funny how we go with equipment. I just went from Balcar concept P4 and balcar b3 to elinchrom. If you think the elinchrom mount sucks well balcar alien bee is a pit from hell. Quite frankly money was a big issue as I do not light a lot for money. I got my elinchrom equipment fairly cheaply and wanted the short flash duration which for my money could not get there with profoto. The only alien bee product I own is the mini lithuim.

Dustbak

Yes, you are right :)

I have worked with Elinchrom for years with a lot of satisfaction. I still believe they are a tremendous value for money! Profoto is better IMO but the notorious small percentage for a hefty premium.

I work with lighting almost daily, appr. 130jobs a year (as an average over the last 5 years) of which about 90% involve additional lighting.

It took a while before I was willing to cough up the dough for the Profoto equipment but after I did, I wished I did it sooner.

Ben Rubinstein

How do you find using a 60" at weddings Marc? I bought one, used it once then gave up, it was just too unweildy and bulky for wedding use. I'm using a pair of 45's at the moment and it does seem to be the best compromise for wedding use from my experience.

fotografz

How do you find using a 60" at weddings Marc? I bought one, used it once then gave up, it was just too unwieldy and bulky for wedding use. I'm using a pair of 45's at the moment and it does seem to be the best compromise for wedding use from my experience.
Hi Ben,

So far no problem after about 15 weddings using a pair of the 60" ... not sure why only 15" more would make it more unwieldily. Maybe the kind of stands and type of umbrella?

I'm using the Photogenic Eclipse ribless umbrellas which are the reflective type with a white satin inner lining that eliminates "spider reflections" in the eyes when shooting closer portraits. Best $35. I ever spent on lighting ;) They are pretty well built fro the money. I also carry a pair of 60" translucent shoot throughs but hardly ever use them anymore since getting the Eclipse umbrellas. I do not use umbrellas outdoors BTW ... mostly a beauty dish held by an assistant or a strobe head with a half-ball milk white diffuser in a grid reflector.

I'd like to move to the new AB Parabolic Umbrellas but want to hear how well they hold up in use first.

The 12' air cushioned stands I use are older ones I bought years ago branded APIC ... which fit the Light Caddy ... but are stronger than other makes of stands that are bigger and heavier and wouldn't fit the Caddy. Evidently APIC is no longer around since someone else here asked about which stands I was using with the Light Caddy, and we couldn't locate them. Most of the knock-off stands today look good but are junk ... the barrels crush to easily when you clamp something on them for one thing. C stands are altogether different, especially Matthews, but you can't haul those around at a wedding. All of my studio stands are C type.

However, the wedding business is so bad here that all this is becoming a moot point and I'm seriously considering doing something else.

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Guy, you're always in the mood to sell something and look for something else though we all know what those monolights would be paying for this time and it begins with the letters 'IQ'... :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

LOL

Its the modeling light that is killing me , I need 250 or 300. Looking at Hensel studio and Profoto D1 to replace my two monolights from Elinchrom

rem

Hey to all! I will order my new system today. My decision is the Hensel Porty 1200L with the AC Power Adapter. So, I have in the studio a full working fast generator and outside a fast and durable battery pack. I think the special in my set is, that I take the "EH Mini Pro Speed" Heads. Not the "EH Mini Pro 1200P Speed"! Whats the difference? With the 1200P you have a modeling light what I think is pretty useless. With my decision I have on the Battery NO Modeling lights and no Fan working, BUT I have in the Studio with the AC Power Adapter 650Watt modeling light and the Fan is working! What I find also cool is, that you can remove the cables from the head. Very good for storing. What you think about my decision?

And Marc, the 1/8100 is only with the Porty 600L. With the Porty 1200L the shortest time is 1/5100sec.

rem

Guy Mancuso

I'm right smack in the middle of making some decisions here and looking at Hensel Vs Profoto's. I would like to keep my 2 quadras but these Hensels look so nice. So may have to give them up.

So the key as I read this is the EH mini PRO speed heads as i would want to use with generator inside and a porty outside. I need to modeling lamp inside

rem

Yes Guy, you have inside the 650W modeling light! When you forgot the modeling light to switch of when you are outside and working with the battery then the lamp will "glimm" and help to empty the battery. When you are working inside, then you remove the battery/accu and put in the ac power (Hensel No. 4965). So easy!
The link (scroll down):
http://www.hensel.eu/en/products/power-packs/porty.html

Dustbak

Today, I did a shoot with the 2 quadra's and the Acute2B600. Boy, I forgot how ridiculously complicated the controls are on the Quadra :(

I still had the quadra's on skyport, meaning I turned off the slave-cell (I sometimes shoot at places with uncle Joe and his flash). Something simple as turning on the slave-cell can become difficult. I know, I know RTFM. It is just that the Acute2B you turn it on and you start working with it.

I am about to sell my 2 Quadra's and get 2 more Acute's.

BTW, the D1's are a real joy to work with! the 500Ws have an output that is similar to my RX600's Eli mono's. I sold the 600RX's with pain but the D1's that replaced them more than made up for them.