The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many portable choices!

H

honeycomb

For battery packs, might as well check Explorer batteries. New models of battery packs are also coming out this June, they are said to work with multiple bi-voltage flash heads. No specific dates when it will be available in the market though.

Giorgio

Hello,

I just wanted to add a voice to this conversation, when shooting with ambient + strobe there is no camera on earth that will work better than your brain!

My greatest advise was this; It is the 6 inches behind the camera that takes the picture!

Forget ettl control, set the camera to manual and let your brain make the photo!

Ben Rubinstein

Hello,

I just wanted to add a voice to this conversation, when shooting with ambient + strobe there is no camera on earth that will work better than your brain!

My greatest advise was this; It is the 6 inches behind the camera that takes the picture!

Forget ettl control, set the camera to manual and let your brain make the photo!
That same brain can master ETTL as I have done. It's when you are specifically shooting to underexpose ambient that the system has not been programmed for that and you need to use manual. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, even if it's an ugly baby! :p

johnnygoesdigital

I've decided on the Hensel L1200. At first, I was leaning towards the Profoto Acuteb2 lithium because of it's weight, but realizing that it might be more useful to have (2) 1200 w/s lights, with not too much additional weight gain. Another major consideration was the wireless controller. Hensel allows the use of the Profoto Air, which I own, and the range is almost a thousand feet! Profoto and Hensel do seem hard to find though, while checking the big photo suppliers, one minute it's in stock refresh the page it's not! Hensel also allows it to be used as a studio unit with the AC adapter, so no need for a second unit.

johnnygoesdigital

It seems more photo gear rental studios are starting to carry the Hensel L1200 Porty. CSI in NYC has the L1200...Perhaps, more suppliers will see the need for a better location unit that has good power and (2) strobes. Sometimes hauling in a generator to remote locations with the extra weight of fuel isn't very portable.

johnnygoesdigital

I forgot to mention that when ordering a Hensel L1200 kit, the big photo suppliers list the light as a EH Pro mini 1200 P speed flash head, when in fact, the kit ships with the EH Pro mini 1200 P instead. A great light nonetheless, but not as fast and a difference of $180. Somehow the description got lost in translation, as Hensel's web site doesn't list the "speed" flash as included. Perhaps i'll get a replacement flash tube for the difference.

rem

I received my Hensel L1200 Special Kit with the EH Pro Mini (not Mini P) heads. I had now 2 shootings and they works great! Not yet received the AC Adapter. But the weight from the hole kit in the Hensel Box (2 tripods, 2 umbrellas, 1 L1200, 2 heads with reflector, charger etc.) is very heavy! Received also the new Hensel Expert D 1000. Big and heavy but build like a tank.
rem

rem

Johnny, I ordered this from Hensel. Its not a "normal" one. I think the 65W Bulps are outside for nothing, so I have with this heads no modeling light outside, but I can use it with the 650W Lights inside with the AC Adaptor. The possible Flashes outside with full power is not so high...180-200 flashes...
rem