Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So many portable choices!

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So many portable choices!

I've read comments that some photographers don't like the way Elinchrom heads and modifiers attach. I've also read that Profoto's are not very useful in wetter conditions, not to mention that on the smaller units you only have one light option. I need portable light for use outdoors with 600 to 1200 W/s, with good options for light modifying. Is there any issue with the quality of light, when comparing these units? I rather not go more than 15 lbs w/ battery, for the ease of backpacking in remote areas, but it would be great if I could use this as a studio generator too. The only unit that seems to fit these requirements is the Hensel L600/1200. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 4th May 2011 at 09:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So many portable choices!

Just got my eli ranger rx as--- wow. Stunning light and power (1100w/s)
    Also have a quadra (400w/s) for lighter kit.

very happy with elinchrom quality and price.
    for some reason the ranger line seem to be on sale (I imagina a new model is about to come out)

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Hensel is wonderful!

Elinchrom is very good and costs a little less!

Broncolor is the best and costs a little more!

Profoto is bulletproof and does what is asked of it every time, no excuses.

When considering the choices it's best to use the gear first, then consider the quality of the light and the flexibility of the system.

Weight and portability, are an issue for some shooters but you could argue that all of the above systems address this in various models both pack and mono lights etc.

It's all good choose one or more and go make pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I have had the chance to shoot with Hensel. I love the quality of the light, but hate the range of the strobe wizard! It's weight is also light enough to carry anywhere and the mini 1200 p head is amazingly light.

Post Thanks / Like

Another happy Elinchrom person here. I have the Ranger and Quadra as well. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this: http://www.priolite.com/en/home.html

Very interesting. Monolight with relatively short flash duration and powered by built-in lithium battery.

Priolite MB500; ~$1,100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Just saw this: http://www.priolite.com/en/home.html

Very interesting. Monolight with relatively short flash duration and powered by built-in lithium battery.

Priolite MB500; ~$1,100.
    Having extensively looking into Priolites since Photokina, here's my findings FWIW:

There's very little feedback on these, but several concerns. Communication and distribution since Photokina is scarce and the fact that it's a new company out of nowhere (owner and engineer not in his prime) doesn't help building confidence.

Neither does the build quality which doesn't look "german made" as advertised, at least certainly not up to Profoto/Broncolor/MultiBlitz/Hensel's (or the Swiss made Ely range) standards.

Reliability and service is paramount for such portable integrated units.

LEDs seem pretty much useless, 400/1600 clicks optimistic.

The only two non-sponsored photogs i could find who actually tested the monos (and shared their impressions) returned them after the trial period.

The price in Europe has increased just after introduction and is around 1100 EUR incl. taxes as of today. So "~$1,100" seems pretty low considering the exchange rate (or they definitely don't come from Europe).

In the end, as much as i wanted them to look good, the questions around the product combined with the quick, steep price increase kept me from buying. For now i'll stay with the usual suspects and simply wait till they come up with some comparable technology.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I have had the chance to shoot with Hensel. I love the quality of the light, but hate the range of the strobe wizard! It's weight is also light enough to carry anywhere and the mini 1200 p head is amazingly light.
    The Hensel Porty 600/1200L has three different radio systems built in ... one is Profoto AIR ... and Hensel even officially offers the multi-function transceiver. It's on the B&H site. Bad news is that it's optional, and runs $360.

The Profoto AIR has 1,000' distance and also allows control of the lighting from the camera like the Strobe Wizard. Problem solved.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The Hensel Porty 600/1200L has three different radio systems built in ... one is Profoto AIR ... and Hensel even officially offers the multi-function transceiver. It's on the B&H site. Bad news is that it's optional, and runs $360.

The Profoto AIR has 1,000' distance and also allows control of the lighting from the camera like the Strobe Wizard. Problem solved.

-Marc
    Marc,

I agree, the Profoto Air has great reception! I'm surprised the Strobe Wizard doesn't put out as much, but at least with these options it easy to go with Hensel. Actually, I've ordered the L1200, but when I talked to one of the Hensel rep's, he stated that they would be available towards the middle of this month, which I guess is soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Having extensively looking into Priolites since Photokina, here's my findings FWIW:

There's very little feedback on these, but several concerns. Communication and distribution since Photokina is scarce and the fact that it's a new company out of nowhere (owner and engineer not in his prime) doesn't help building confidence.

Neither does the build quality which doesn't look "german made" as advertised, at least certainly not up to Profoto/Broncolor/MultiBlitz/Hensel's (or the Swiss made Ely range) standards.

Reliability and service is paramount for such portable integrated units.

LEDs seem pretty much useless, 400/1600 clicks optimistic.

The only two non-sponsored photogs i could find who actually tested the monos (and shared their impressions) returned them after the trial period.

The price in Europe has increased just after introduction and is around 1100 EUR incl. taxes as of today. So "~$1,100" seems pretty low considering the exchange rate (or they definitely don't come from Europe).

In the end, as much as i wanted them to look good, the questions around the product combined with the quick, steep price increase kept me from buying. For now i'll stay with the usual suspects and simply wait till they come up with some comparable technology.
    Well that's disappointing. Photographer's returning the lights doesn't sound good...

I still think the Hensel L1200 makes for a great portable kit.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new mini power pack for the Alien Bees system coupled with the low low prices, light weight and general toss about ability of their lights does make them an interesting new option on the block, you can fit two B1600's and a battery pack including cables in a kids backpack..
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    The new mini power pack for the Alien Bees system coupled with the low low prices, light weight and general toss about ability of their lights does make them an interesting new option on the block, you can fit two B1600's and a battery pack including cables in a kids backpack..
    I agree. it's amazing how light the Mini Lithium is.

Post Thanks / Like

This is close to what I did for a kit until I can swing the Hensel L1200.

Mini Vagabond Lithium with two Einstein monolights. Coupled with the cybersync cst and csxcv, wireless flash sync at 1/1600. Some minor oddities, but better quality than the alien bee monos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken, yes looking into Priolite was a bit disappointing. New company new products, maybe in time they'll look more reassuring. Concept is great.

Can you be kind enough to elaborate on the "minor oddities" you ran into with the AB?

Sure looks like an cheap alternative (and light) alternative to the Hensel's -and some of the concerns about Priolite ring true with Hensel, too, especially re availability, clear information and possibly service. But that's for another thread i guess

Post Thanks / Like

Corlan,

I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" but in most respects, the Einsteins's (and alien bees) give a lot of bang for the buck.

Einstein reflector is better quality than the ab reflector. Heavier metal, but still flimsy modifier clamp system based on the old balcar mount. It works, but there is some play when the reflector is attached. Many modifiers available. Cybersync transmitter just feels cheap, poorly made and was difficult to put on the Phase DF hotshoe, until I put it on "in reverse" but it works well with the small csxcv that drops into the Einstein. You do need to take care not to damage the pins on the csxcv when transporting. Most importantly, it works. I can install the CST "the right way" on my Canon. I had no problems acheiving 1/1600 flash sync with a Phase DF, Schneider 110mm LS, and P65+. There is no doubt that the Einstein monolight is a much better light than the AB line.
    The Vagabond MiniLithium is not much larger than a Quantum Turbo battery, and very lightweight.

I'd much prefer the Hensel, but I drank the kool-aid and committed to the IQ180 upgrade. I've already spent way too much money this year and need to be more concerned with sending my own kids to college instead of Dave Gallagher's kids to college.

I hate to put it this way, but the Einstein alternative is almost a "disposable" lighting system should it get damaged in transit. Should anything happen to an AB, you wouldn't cry. But I just might shed a tear if I damaged a Hensel speed head...

Einstein ~US$500; weighs about 4 1/2 lbs
    Vagabond MiniLithium ~US$240; weighs about 3.5 lbs
    CST transmitter ~US$60
    CSXCV Einstein receiver ~US$30

Post Thanks / Like

You can also use the mini lithuim with a elinchrom 600 rx as well. about a 3.5 second recycle time at full power with no model light on.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dseelig View Post
    You can also use the mini lithuim with a elinchrom 600 rx as well. about a 3.5 second recycle time at full power with no model light on.
    The AB Mini Lithium does sound interesting. Are the EL 600s digitally controlled or analog? AB's literature seems to indicate a possible issue with digitally controlled mono's, and clearly states that they do not guarantee compatibility with heads other than their own. I can't determine if that's just hype to sell their heads or not.

I have a couple of older style Profoto 600 Compacts with analog controls that these would be perfect for taking on location, but when I move to AIR monos eventually, I'd like to know if these would still work?

I do like that they clip on the light stand so can be used to further stabilize the rig by clipping them low toward the base ... anything helps. Also, pretty nifty mobile solution for using an assistant carried Beauty Dish on a stick, which I do a lot.

3.5 sec recycle seems okay, but kinda slow for outdoor portrait/fashion work.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Corlan,

I think it's a case of "you get what you pay for" but in most respects, the Einsteins's (and alien bees) give a lot of bang for the buck.

Einstein reflector is better quality than the ab reflector. Heavier metal, but still flimsy modifier clamp system based on the old balcar mount. It works, but there is some play when the reflector is attached. Many modifiers available. Cybersync transmitter just feels cheap, poorly made and was difficult to put on the Phase DF hotshoe, until I put it on "in reverse" but it works well with the small csxcv that drops into the Einstein. You do need to take care not to damage the pins on the csxcv when transporting. Most importantly, it works. I can install the CST "the right way" on my Canon. I had no problems acheiving 1/1600 flash sync with a Phase DF, Schneider 110mm LS, and P65+. There is no doubt that the Einstein monolight is a much better light than the AB line.
    The Vagabond MiniLithium is not much larger than a Quantum Turbo battery, and very lightweight.

I'd much prefer the Hensel, but I drank the kool-aid and committed to the IQ180 upgrade. I've already spent way too much money this year and need to be more concerned with sending my own kids to college instead of Dave Gallagher's kids to college.

I hate to put it this way, but the Einstein alternative is almost a "disposable" lighting system should it get damaged in transit. Should anything happen to an AB, you wouldn't cry. But I just might shed a tear if I damaged a Hensel speed head...

Einstein ~US$500; weighs about 4 1/2 lbs
    Vagabond MiniLithium ~US$240; weighs about 3.5 lbs
    CST transmitter ~US$60
    CSXCV Einstein receiver ~US$30
    Yep, these camera systems are most certainly sucking up all the cash ... if we had half a brain, and stopped thinking with our trigger finger, we'd realize, the lighting is way more important than more megapixels.

However, I guess it depends on what you're shooting and how much of it you do with lights ... and importantly, whether you use an assistant(s) or primarily work solo. If you don't shoot a lot with lights, I'd seriously suggest renting. For example, an $11,000. Profoto 8A-2400 w/s with high-speed sync and lightening fast recycle cost about $95. to rent, and 2 Pro 7 heads are $40.

Decades of studio and location work kinda sorts out the men from the boys in terms of lighting. What holds up and what doesn't, what causes problems rather than solving problems, how flexible one is compared to the other, how available are rentals, and how well one can think ahead so you don't have to change systems later at a hefty loss.

If I had the cash (and hadn't thought with my trigger finger so much ), my ideal system would be Profoto AIR generators and monos in studio, and Hensel 1200L(s) for location (which also uses the AIR triggers).

I once was all Elinchrom and hated the mount ... trust me, the mount system can become the most important part of a system when in actual use. That the Einstein mount is even a little questionable (Balcor, really?), would take it off my shopping list immediately ... bag for the buck or not. (sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve of mine).

I've not had a single issue with Profoto's mount system, followed closely by Hensel's "industrial" duty mounts. I'd have no qualms mounting a Mola 43" Mantti beauty dish or 7' Plume on either ... can't say the same for other makes.

My philosophy about shipping ability differs a bit ... I'd shed huge tears if any of these were damaged in transit ... since there was a reason I was shipping them the first place If you haven't actually held a Hensel Mini head in hand, try it, they are squat little tanks ... very tough little suckers. But again, like most, I'd rent not ship ... rentals are often not much more then the cost of shipping this stuff insured , especially with stands and all that junk.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah Marc, if you hate the AB/Balcar mounting system and who can blame you, steer clear...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah Marc, if you hate the AB/Balcar mounting system and who can blame you, steer clear...
    Thanks Ben. That is why these frank gear discussions on GetDpi are so valuable. Every mis-step is costly either in cash, or bad experiences during the shoot.

-Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have been using my two quadras quite a bit lately and I just love the size , weight combination and the output has been great. BUT you do have to be very careful with the heads and pay attention to what you are doing so you do not damage things. I put them in a hard rolling pelican case and love this setup. I'm actually tempted to sell my AC mono lights but I don,t have the nerve so I will add another quadra at some point. Three setups would be great.

The Hensels do look nice as well. Its a tough call between size, weight and durability with the battery systems.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The AB Mini Lithium does sound interesting. Are the EL 600s digitally controlled or analog? AB's literature seems to indicate a possible issue with digitally controlled mono's, and clearly states that they do not guarantee compatibility with heads other than their own. I can't determine if that's just hype to sell their heads or not.

I have a couple of older style Profoto 600 Compacts with analog controls that these would be perfect for taking on location, but when I move to AIR monos eventually, I'd like to know if these would still work?

I do like that they clip on the light stand so can be used to further stabilize the rig by clipping them low toward the base ... anything helps. Also, pretty nifty mobile solution for using an assistant carried Beauty Dish on a stick, which I do a lot.

3.5 sec recycle seems okay, but kinda slow for outdoor portrait/fashion work.

-Marc
    I've used my Mini Lithium with my 600 RXs too, they're digital -- the recycle time is a function of the battery pack. Haven't run it down enough to know whether it would be a problem with the 600s

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked with Elinchrom for years. I can totally understand Marc's feelings about the mount. I have recently been changing towards Profoto.

Though I really enjoyed working with Elinchrom, I have used basically every of their product you can imagine, I have to admit Profoto is somewhat in a different league. The light is simply put 'nicer'. The biggest difference I noticed with multishot takes but also with single shot images the Profoto lights generate a 'brighter' more 'vivid' image.

The best part is that I can use all of my Elinchrom modifiers with an adapter! This also makes the transition from Elinchrom towards Profoto somewhat less painful.

I currently only use the Quadra's and my Ranger. I have sold all the RX generators & Style RX mono's (that really hurt).

I now use the D4 which I truly love for studio usage, I have never had anything that was so good and versatile. For location work I got 4 D1's which I have not had the opportunity to try but will do so this weekend. I also got an Acute2B600Air. Compared to the Quadra's the Acute2B looks like a relic. An indestructable relic but nevertheless. The size and weight is kind of comparable, the form factor of the Profoto appears to be nicer. I have not had the chance to compare but as so many things I think both the Quadra and the Acute2B are different enough to justify owning both of them

I have been pondering over the Pro-8Air instead of the D4 but I regularly use more than 2 lights which meant buying 2 of of the 8Air's. The D4 is also fairly fast (in flash duration as well as recycling) but naturally not as fast as the 8Air. I rarely need that so the price difference made me swing to the D4.

Choices, choices, choices

If only you could use 1 type of radio transmitter integrated into these flashes... (I think I spend more on receivers, transceivers & transmitters than many people spend on bodies or lenses )

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After years with Elinchrom, I did the same thing ... moved to a pair of D4-2400 packs and never looked back ... but that adapter was a help for sure ... like for using the Profoto heads in the expensive Elinchrom Octabox and Gobo Box. However, you lose the Profoto ability to slide direct mount softbox modifiers back and forth to further shape and alter the lighting. So, not only is the Profoto mount much more secure, it is more versatile creatively. Actually, a simple but ingenious idea when you think about it.

Isn't lighting fascinating?

In many ways it is the least understood of our bag of tools, and there are so many that think "light is just light" and buy on price failing to realize that the value aspect is actually quite poor in the long run.

I recently was explaining this to a younger photographer that wanted to start building a studio and location capability but was on a budget. The cheaper alternatives were very attractive to him for obvious reasons. I advised that it would be better to forego yet another lens or digital do-dad, and step up his choice of lighting. BTW, I suggested he try and hunt down the older style Profoto 600R Compacts to start with ... one of the best price/value/performance buys out there if you can find them ... then they can be used as auxiliary lighting later when he expands.

I also agree that the whole radio transmitter thing has been a trip. An expensive trip. As I mentioned, if starting over (with enough cash ), I'd do all Profoto AIR and select Hensel 1200Ls for location because they are also AIR triggered.

After selling my older bullet proof, but huge Porty 1200 Plus kit, the only location kit I now have is a pair of Quadras and 5 heads. This is the best "one man band" outfit I could assemble at the time. I have the tiny heads mounted on stands and leave them there in a Light Caddy with 60" ribless umbrellas and all the various cords and connections. I found "padded socks" to cover the heads like golfers do ... which always gets funny comments from guests at weddings

But to tell the truth, while the Quadras are pretty nifty they are very limited. To do anything beyond the basic ratios requires two of them ... which adds up to more bulk than the Hensel but only delivers 800 w/s of user defined asymmetrical distribution compared to the Hensel 2 head 1200 w/s of symmetrical or asymmetrical distribution, and full ability to use the extensive modifier choices (Love the Hensel Beauty Dish). I do wish Profoto would make a smaller lith powered box with 800w/s and two head outlets ... their 600 is nice but one head

The other thing that pissed me off about the Elinchrom stuff, including the Quadras, was the different shaft diameter mount for umbrellas ... what an incredibly ignorant design idea ... probably the brainchild of some bean counter to sell more of their umbrellas by forcing you to use them, or hunt down some third party maker. Of course the best umbrellas aren't available in the Elinchrom shaft size, so you have to add umbrella brackets which then makes it so you can't fire straight into the center of the umbrella. Stupid ... makes you wonder if these people ever actually tried to use their own products.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot about the smaller diameter umbrella shaft in the Elinchroms. I tend to shy away from umbrellas as much as possible but indeed the times I try to ram a thicker shaft into the Elinchrom were quite numerous.

The D4 showed me that 'light is light' is a bull**** statement. You have to see it for yourself, that is for sure but there are certainly differences in quality of light.

I actually like the single head Acutes, it prevents me from the tempation of adding a second head and messing around with fixed ratios trying to make that work while using 1 pack per head is so much easier.

I now just have to try to stay away from Pro8Air's...

Post Thanks / Like

It is funny how we go with equipment. I just went from Balcar concept P4 and balcar b3 to elinchrom. If you think the elinchrom mount sucks well balcar alien bee is a pit from hell. Quite frankly money was a big issue as I do not light a lot for money. I got my elinchrom equipment fairly cheaply and wanted the short flash duration which for my money could not get there with profoto. The only alien bee product I own is the mini lithuim.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are right

I have worked with Elinchrom for years with a lot of satisfaction. I still believe they are a tremendous value for money! Profoto is better IMO but the notorious small percentage for a hefty premium.

I work with lighting almost daily, appr. 130jobs a year (as an average over the last 5 years) of which about 90% involve additional lighting.

It took a while before I was willing to cough up the dough for the Profoto equipment but after I did, I wished I did it sooner.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How do you find using a 60" at weddings Marc? I bought one, used it once then gave up, it was just too unweildy and bulky for wedding use. I'm using a pair of 45's at the moment and it does seem to be the best compromise for wedding use from my experience.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How do you find using a 60" at weddings Marc? I bought one, used it once then gave up, it was just too unwieldy and bulky for wedding use. I'm using a pair of 45's at the moment and it does seem to be the best compromise for wedding use from my experience.
    Hi Ben,

So far no problem after about 15 weddings using a pair of the 60" ... not sure why only 15" more would make it more unwieldily. Maybe the kind of stands and type of umbrella?

I'm using the Photogenic Eclipse ribless umbrellas which are the reflective type with a white satin inner lining that eliminates "spider reflections" in the eyes when shooting closer portraits. Best $35. I ever spent on lighting They are pretty well built fro the money. I also carry a pair of 60" translucent shoot throughs but hardly ever use them anymore since getting the Eclipse umbrellas. I do not use umbrellas outdoors BTW ... mostly a beauty dish held by an assistant or a strobe head with a half-ball milk white diffuser in a grid reflector.

I'd like to move to the new AB Parabolic Umbrellas but want to hear how well they hold up in use first.

The 12' air cushioned stands I use are older ones I bought years ago branded APIC ... which fit the Light Caddy ... but are stronger than other makes of stands that are bigger and heavier and wouldn't fit the Caddy. Evidently APIC is no longer around since someone else here asked about which stands I was using with the Light Caddy, and we couldn't locate them. Most of the knock-off stands today look good but are junk ... the barrels crush to easily when you clamp something on them for one thing. C stands are altogether different, especially Matthews, but you can't haul those around at a wedding. All of my studio stands are C type.

However, the wedding business is so bad here that all this is becoming a moot point and I'm seriously considering doing something else.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Join the club..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in the mood to sell off my monolights and look for something else.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, you're always in the mood to sell something and look for something else though we all know what those monolights would be paying for this time and it begins with the letters 'IQ'...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

Its the modeling light that is killing me , I need 250 or 300. Looking at Hensel studio and Profoto D1 to replace my two monolights from Elinchrom

Post Thanks / Like

Hey to all! I will order my new system today. My decision is the Hensel Porty 1200L with the AC Power Adapter. So, I have in the studio a full working fast generator and outside a fast and durable battery pack. I think the special in my set is, that I take the "EH Mini Pro Speed" Heads. Not the "EH Mini Pro 1200P Speed"! Whats the difference? With the 1200P you have a modeling light what I think is pretty useless. With my decision I have on the Battery NO Modeling lights and no Fan working, BUT I have in the Studio with the AC Power Adapter 650Watt modeling light and the Fan is working! What I find also cool is, that you can remove the cables from the head. Very good for storing. What you think about my decision?

And Marc, the 1/8100 is only with the Porty 600L. With the Porty 1200L the shortest time is 1/5100sec.

rem

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm right smack in the middle of making some decisions here and looking at Hensel Vs Profoto's. I would like to keep my 2 quadras but these Hensels look so nice. So may have to give them up.

So the key as I read this is the EH mini PRO speed heads as i would want to use with generator inside and a porty outside. I need to modeling lamp inside

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking of getting these than i could use the head in a Porty 600 pack down the road.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Generator.html

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Guy, you have inside the 650W modeling light! When you forgot the modeling light to switch of when you are outside and working with the battery then the lamp will "glimm" and help to empty the battery. When you are working inside, then you remove the battery/accu and put in the ac power (Hensel No. 4965). So easy!
    The link (scroll down):
    http://www.hensel.eu/en/products/power-packs/porty.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks they just have some really sexy gear. Man does there stuff look nice

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have to wait about 2 weeks...;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Today, I did a shoot with the 2 quadra's and the Acute2B600. Boy, I forgot how ridiculously complicated the controls are on the Quadra

I still had the quadra's on skyport, meaning I turned off the slave-cell (I sometimes shoot at places with uncle Joe and his flash). Something simple as turning on the slave-cell can become difficult. I know, I know RTFM. It is just that the Acute2B you turn it on and you start working with it.

I am about to sell my 2 Quadra's and get 2 more Acute's.

BTW, the D1's are a real joy to work with! the 500Ws have an output that is similar to my RX600's Eli mono's. I sold the 600RX's with pain but the D1's that replaced them more than made up for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes looking at the D1's also. 2379 for a 2 head pack is on my radar. I can keep the 2 quadra's. My only issue when using them together have to figure out a transmitter/receiver for both. Also hate to buy the Profoto's without the Air involved.

Thought about the Integra Pro's from Hensel as well.

Not sure which direction I should go. Like to have 2 AC units and 2 battery units

So many options here

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I was thinking of getting these than i could use the head in a Porty 600 pack down the road.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Generator.html
    I have that Mini 1200 pack Guy. I use it for indoor industrial and corporate stuff. It is really small for a 4 outlet 1200 w/s pack, and so are the heads.

Be aware that the heads with this kit are not the speed versions. Plus, I think if you want to use these Mini heads on a Porty L later you'll have to get a different cord ... I'd check on that because the cords aren't inexpensive. Finally, this pack doesn't come with the Profoto AIR radio like the Porty does ... I'd think you'd want that because of how Phase has integrated it into their system.

The best deal going for battery powered outdoor use is the Hensel porty 1200L kit that comes with a Mini P speed head and then add another head and one longer cord.
    You have to punch in Hensel on the B&H site and hunt for it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I can heartily recommend, the quality of the Profoto light. Visibly a notch up compared to Eli. I have never used Hensel so I cannot comment on that.

I know where you are coming from with regard to the transmitters.

When you go for the D1, look for the D1Air Kit. Practically the same price as for 2 heads but you get the nifty overly large bag some tripods, umbrellas but also the Air tranceiver. I sold off the umbrellas, use the tripods though they are not the handiest ones and the jury is still out on the bag. Anyway, the price is good even when you just use the heads and tranceiver. Selling the other stuff makes it just somewhat cheaper.

Today, I decided I will probably go and sell the Quadra's. I use these with 1 head anyway, the too complicated controls and the fact I am stuck with 2 radio systems are major factors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the D1 looks nice and so do the Hensels. Lots of research to figure it all out. thanks guys these comments help me a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW like to keep my eli boxes . Is there a adapter from elinchrom to profoto and also for the hensels. Like to try and keep these in the process

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy, Elinchrom to Profoto adapters. Meaning you can use your Elinchrom modifiers on Profoto lights. Adapters can be pretty hard to come by. Supply is not great. I know Adorama still has some. I had to buy 2 from them since the importer over here only could get his hands on 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm also looking for a adapter from Elinchrom to Hensel. Anybody nows? I was also looking for the D1 ( they have now a sale offer wit 15% discount), but decided now for the Hensel, because I prefer the metal over the plastic. And if you go for the Hensel Expert D, then you have all three receivers inside (Hensel, Hensel Free Mask and Profoto). No Profoto in the Integras! Marc, the cables from the EH Mini Pro Speed fits the Porty 1200L. Everything is working what the Porty offers on AC Power (650W full/prop/fan). Both from two worlds;-) What speak for you against this?

Post Thanks / Like

Marc, you love the Hensel Beautydish. Which model you have? The white or the silver? With the grid?
    Thans, rem

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    You can buy, Elinchrom to Profoto adapters. Meaning you can use your Elinchrom modifiers on Profoto lights. Adapters can be pretty hard to come by. Supply is not great. I know Adorama still has some. I had to buy 2 from them since the importer over here only could get his hands on 1.
    Found them on B&H at 139 each. One wonders if it is worth it after the cost of the box itself and the adapter but I do like them. I may get one and sell one box. Like to keep the Octi

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My other issue with Hensel is no one rents them here in town and Profoto both rental house carries them. Now with profoto so tied in with Phase and c1 most likely my best option but hard to ignore the Hensels.