The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for the fastest recycle box out there. Any help?

fotografz

On my consideration list is the Hensel Tria 1500 Speed:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=482352&is=REG

Has anyone used this box? .7 sec @ full power, and .25 sec @ min power. Takes 3 heads: 1/2200 sec with one head, 1/7400th with 3 heads. But is symmetrical.

Is there something faster that you know of? Something asymmetrical?

I know Hensel, and have the Porty Premium. Built like a tank.

Looking for any experiences with a fast box.

fotografz

Thanks jack. I looked at that one also. However I'd have to buy new heads ... the Pro 7 heads will work on this and the D4, but my D4 and Acute heads won't work on this box. It has 2 outlets and the Hensel has 3. Both are symmetrical.

So with 2 Pro 7 heads and the Pro7 Speed box we're talking $10,000+ ... verses $4,145. for the Hensel and 2 EHT Pro 6000 heads ... plus my current Hensel heads for the Porty will work with the Hensel Speed box.

Time to sell something : -)

Stuart Richardson

I can't help you on your specific question, but I have two hensel monolights and I think they are superb. Built very well, very ergonomic to use, well-designed and good, consistent lighting. If you already have the heads, I would suggest sticking with hensel...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

I forgot you had the porty --- the Hensl sounds like the unit to go with!

Cheers,

fotografz

Thanks you guys ...

Stuart, I also love my Hensel stuff ... and often wonder why they aren't more popular. Compared to the Elinchromes I used to work with they are indeed "industrial strength" products.

Stuart Richardson

Me neither. To be honest, I have not used profoto, but I have a real hard time believing they are that much better than similarly spec'ed Hensel lights. What is it that they do better? They certainly seem to cost far more.

fotografz

Me neither. To be honest, I have not used profoto, but I have a real hard time believing they are that much better than similarly spec'ed Hensel lights. What is it that they do better? They certainly seem to cost far more.
My main studio set-up is all Profoto except for some Plume softboxes. The spread of light modifiers is endless with Profoto, and the D4 is an amazing piece of lighting technology that can be completely controlled from the computer. All the units now can be had with built-in Pocket Wizards so it's all uniform and works with the PWs I already had. Plus, every Elinchrom light modifier can be used on Profoto heads with a modifier ... I use an old Elinchrom Octabox I've had for many years on a Profoto head.

Profoto is also well marketed here in the US, and service is quick and relatively inexpensive. The damned things are almost universal, and if on location you can rent Profoto almost anywhere to work with lighting gear you already know.

However, in most cases you are right Stuart ... you get a lot for your money with Hensel ... their monos are just as good, and their ringflash is much better than the Profoto one.

In general, I'd recommend Hensel to anyone building a lighting kit ... maybe even over Profoto if you didn't need the potential of all the extensive light modifiers ... which I did.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the explanation Marc, that is what I was trying to figure out. It is difficult to get good information on these things because people either tend to be either fanboys or uninformed. Also, it seems like a lot of pros default to profoto just because that's what everyone else knows. It is good to hear what its advantages are relative to the other brands.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Actually, if you're considering the Pro-7, look at the Pro-7a, not the Pro-7s. The "a" model is asymmetric with three lamp sockets. These are beasts. Rugged, fast and accurate. You won't really find any 7s packs in the US. These are more popular in Europe. The 7a is the standard pack at almost any rental studio in the US. Recycle is 0.8 secs on the 1200a. And, of course, you get 1/12,000sec flash duration at min power (1/2200 at max!)

For anyone attending the lighting workshop, TYE uses 7a 1200 and 2400 packs, as well as some D4 2400's and B2's, all with Pro heads and Pro Twins.

Marc, you could always sell your Acute heads and buy Pro heads. They will work fine on your D4 (as you already know).

Good luck with your search.

David

R

rexyinc

yeh that blows anything i import out the window ( Hensel like copys with bowens fittings) , fastest ( monoblock ) is 500ws at 1/2470, can recycle 8 times a sec, - on my nikon D3 hitting 9 frames a sec one frame will be black, rest of the 8 will be perfect. I also have 1000ws monoblocks with 1/1820 and 5shots sec.

but i love profoto still, they are the way to go if your clients can pony up with the $ for ya!

dfarkas

Workshop Member
In case you didn't see the thread on the new Profoto Pro-8a packs...

The 1200 recycles to full power in 0.4 secs and the 2400 in 0.9 secs.

Both will shoot 20 frames per second at min power.

Fast enough for you?

David