The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hensel Studiotechnik Discussion

S

slgottula

Hello,
We have some demo gear from schools, shows, reps etc... that we are liquidating at great prices. We have a lot of Integra Pro 500 Plus that look and function like brand new. All of our packs and heads have a 1 year US warranty. For more information and to see what is listed please visit Henselusa.com/demo.html
Or call Sharon at Image Light Group, Inc. 816-268-3649

Thanks

Sharon Gottula
Image Light Group, Inc.
Representing Hensel and California Sunbounce

woodyspedden

Re: Hensel Studiotechnik Demo Sale

could you provide a list of the equipment and a link to a site where we can get the pertinent details.

Thanks very much

woody Spedden

Stuart Richardson

Woody -- the link is right there. I use the Integra Pro 500's and I really like them. The beauty dish is great as well!

fotografz

Welcome to the group Sharon ;)

Folks, I asked Sharon to drop by and post these great deals. Absolute top grade lighting products at surprizingly decent prices ... especially these demo prices.:thumbup:

Woody, the Hensel carbon fiber ring flash with handle is super-duper ... and there is a unique soft-box for it that I take delivery of soon. Can't wait.

I have a Porty system for battery driven work ... and my entire out of studio kit is Hensel .. a small, feather weight 2400 w/s generator that will drive up to 4 heads (I have three.) And it's all controlled with the Hensel Radio system that allows you to adjust individual lights right from the camera.

Hmmm, maybe a couple of Integra Pro 500 Plus mono's to round out the location kit ... LOL : -)

fotografz

Welcome to the group Sharon ;)

Folks, I asked Sharon to drop by and post these great deals. Absolute top grade lighting products at surprizingly decent prices ... especially these demo prices.:thumbup:

Woody, the Hensel carbon fiber ring flash with handle is super-duper ... and there is a unique soft-box for it that I take delivery of soon. Can't wait.

I have a Porty system for battery driven work ... and my entire out of studio kit is Hensel .. a small, feather weight 2400 w/s generator that will drive up to 4 heads (I have three.) And it's all controlled with the Hensel Radio system that allows you to adjust individual lights right from the camera.

Hmmm, maybe a couple of Integra Pro 500 Plus mono's to round out the location kit ... LOL : -)
Make that a "1200 w/s generator" in my discription of the Hensel Mini. My bad.

Just grabed 2 of the Hensel Integra Pro 500s Plus Mono's from Sharon ... and ordered a Hensel "Visit" battery unit from B&H ... which has two normal household plugs that'll drive two 500 w/s monos, or a strobe and your laptop, etc. :thumbs:

LJL

Marc,
Question for you about the Hensel stuff..... How do you find the mountings and things for modifiers compared to your Profotos and previous Elinchrom stuff? Have you gone the route of getting new rings for softboxes and stuff yet, or are you not using the Porty kit that way out of the studio?

I ask about this as it is one of the things that I keep looking at myself. The Profoto accessory mounts are not cheap, but they are pretty nice for attaching/adjusting. The Hensel stuff looks much simpler and while the design should not be more limiting, I just wonder how flexible things are for it. (I have run into some incompatibilities with some of the DynaLite things, like beauty dishes and stuff, so that is why I wanted to get your impressions on some of this stuff.) The same issues hold for the Ranger units that some folks are liking for portables. For some, accessories are not used as much or they only need a few rings for softboxes, but I keep hoping for a bit more flexibility in and out of studio settings, rather than just collecting more gear to make things work.

LJ

P.S. Did not want to take this off track from the stuff Sharon is posting. I have been thinking hard about the Hensels myself, and that is why I raised the issue here.

fotografz

LJ, Here's my range of experience (my apologies for the length) ... draw from it as you see fit.

I started out with cheap monos to shoot my first studio work. That proved a waste of money pretty quickly. I then went for Elinchrom ... primarily driven by their big Octabox which was/is unique ... and eventually added a Dynalite portable mono kit with Jackrabbit batteries (that was before the Rangers.)

The Elinchrom's kept breaking down on me, intermittent misfires wreaked havoc on sequential work I was doing for TV photomatics forcing me to start the sequence all over with the actors. But the worst was the Elinchrom bayonet mount which is awkward to handle and stripped out or bent with any kind of real load. It really is a piss poor mount IMHO.

I finally gave up and went for Profoto at the suggestion of a pro photographer friend of mine ... starting with Acute boxes 1200 & 2400. and a couple of 600 w/s monos. (The "R" Pocket Wizard versions were not available at the time.) I also discovered that Profoto made an Elinchrom adapter so I could keep the big Elinchrom Octabox, which I still use.

I also sold off the Dynalite kit because the need for a battery driven system had diminished at the time.

The Profoto mount is solid as you can get. Maybe the best there is. But there is a consequence to their slide over mount ... the mono heads are big ... mostly they are pretty long and akward to fit in cases because the diameter has to remain constant for mounting lighting controls. Lugging that stuff on location literally filled my SUV to the hilt.

Personally, I never liked the Acute boxes. The combinations of switches and dials to achieve various light levels is a PITA ... I had to paste a cheat sheet on the box to help keep it straight. I eventually upgraded to the digitally controlled D4 box, of which I now have two D4 2400Rs ... a mere $14,000. worth of generator boxes :eek:

When I needed to go portable again, I ASKED other pros FIRST this time around. The overwhelming suggestion was the Porty from Hensel. This introduced me to the Hensel line up which I had not even heard of at the time. I also secured the carbon fiber Hensel ring flash, which is so much more "usable" than the Acute ring light that it's not funny.

The Hensel mount is a positive, heavy-duty lever-lock type. Pretty no-brainer. I have Hensel Speed rings for use of my Plume Wafer soft boxes when needed, but tend to use large translucent umbrellas on location. The Hensel beauty dish is great. I've found that any light modifier worth having usually offers a Hensel speed ring. Plume is a good example. I actually may have my brother Arc Weld a Hensel Speed ring on my Elinchrom Octabox ... which is still the most convenient big soft box for location work.

I slowly began building my out of studio system around Hensel. Profoto stuff was just to big, and a LOT more expensive (have you checked B&H Profoto prices lately?) As of today, my location kit is two part ... Hensel Porty and now a "Visit" for the 2 monos provides all the battery driven light I need. The Mini 1200 with 3 heads and the two 500w/s monos provide the out of studio AC system ... and both systems are controlled by the hot shoe radio Wizard right at the camera.

I have zero complaints about my Profoto studio system ... but the cost was staggering. For less expensive solutions, IMO, the Hensel Pro Mini 1200 AS is a way better box than the Acute 1200 box I once owned. It's controlls are way easier, it's smaller and lighter, has 4 head outlets instead of 3, and unlike the Acute 1200R, can be radio controlled from the camera. The Hensel Integra Pro Plus mono heads are also controllable from the camera ... which the Profoto R monos also cannot do ... important for overhead softboxes, lights placed at a distance, or ones mounted inside a box with a diffuser in place (like the Octabox.)

If I were doing the studio all over, I'd opt for a Hensel Tria 3000, and two Tria 1500 w/s "Speed" generators which recycle in .7 sec. at full power or .25 sec @ min. power ... three boxes for 6000 w/s driving up to 10 heads, which would cost $5,000 less than the two D4s with 4800 w/s driving up to 8 heads.

Sorry for the length. :eek: But there's no quick answer when spending this much cash.

fotografz

LJ, here's a quick snap of my Hensel A/C location kit. The entire thing ... 1200 w/s box, 3 heads (the 3rd one is on order), 12' background stand kit, three flat folding light stands, umbrellas, and accessories all fit nicely into one Kata rolling light stand bag.

Note that the heads have detachable cords, which makes it easier to pack this stuff.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

This looks nice , so with this pack I can get the refurbished heads Sharon has. I like the Pro mini 1200 as pack. I just landed a bunch of interior work and need to get more lights. I will wait till after the workshop to see the Profoto's, Elinchroms and Broncolors first but these look really nice

fotografz

Guy, I think the Hensel demo heads Sharon has on sale are for the Porty battery powered system, and the Integra Pro Plus are mono heads.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Marc. I will have to study this line better to understand what goes with what. LOL

LJL

Marc,
As always, your thoroughness and candor are both outstanding and very helpful. Thank you for painting your picture of experience and usage.

I cannot disagree with your assessment about the Profotos....super duty, but rather costly. These Hensels look quite nice for size, price, and now capability, as you have explained things. My initial question was about the ring mounts and accessory mounts, since that seems the least "visible" in all their marketing materials. The Profotos are super strong and very easy to use. The Elinchroms, as you point out tend to be a PITA, and do break. The DynaLites, from my own experience work, but the design, though sturdy and practical, is also a bit of PITA with all the screws and stuff, plus not everything works with everything else all that well.

I do like the compactness of the Hensel heads for both use and packing. That is one reason why I have not yet jettisoned the DynaLites.....similar small size with good output, but they still have the pigtail attached. I am not including monos right now, but the Hensel units have some attractive features that may change those thoughts, especially being able to control them from that radio unit without hassle and without adding more PWs and cords to the kit. THAT is a very interesting and nice system feature for Hensel.

(I realize most of this thread could have been in the Lighting Forum section, but it started with Sharon's ad and could be useful info for others thinking about these kits, as Guy has even gotten into the mix now.)

O.K., you have me rethinking some things again also. The Porty units look good also...wish they handled three heads instead of two per generator, but still not too much of an issue, and the Visit battery with monos could be a very practical add for many uses. That part makes more sense in the Hensel line, especially with the radio control from camera capability (using the Hensel trigger device).

I guess the last question comes down to light quality and consistency, and from what I am seeing, the Hensels are holding their own against the others, so that may also be a moot point.

Again, Marc, your experience and willingness to share thoughts and such are very helpful....thanks a bunch. Now, time to sort through all the other pieces, which Sharon has several posted in the ad (snoots, barndoors, honeycombs, reflectors, etc.). Those do add up, but Hensel's prices are not as choking as the Profoto stuff in comparison.

LJ

LJL

Marc,
On your travel kit.....like the compactness and portability. Interestingly, I have a very similar set-up with my DynaLites and a converted Westcott roller case. Holds one or two packs, three heads, light stands, boom arm, softboxes, rings, and almost everything I need. I call it the "rolling coffin" since it weighs a ton, but I can get it around. The problem is keeping stuff OUT of it rather than dumping more in. (The Kata cases are superb. I have a couple Hex bags for light stands and stuff and love them. Your more compact set-up looks very practical and flexible, yet able to provide quite a bit of light for most out of studio needs, and that is what matters.)

LJ

fotografz

Maybe Guy or Jack should move some of this to the lighting section so the info and dialog exchange doesn't get lost so quickly.

I'll post some info and pics there about my new Hensel Light modifier for the Ring Light ... very cool.

fotografz

Here's a few snaps of my most recent Hensel acquisition ... an Octa Sun Haze RF90 for Hensel ringlights ... it comes with two separate diffusion baffles to modify the light quality at will ... from none for a larger, more specular ring light effect ... and inner snap-in diffuser to partially soften it ... and an outer diffuser for a full softbox quality light. The ring light works with the Porty and Mini packs, and any TRIA or VELA pack with an adapter cable up to 3000J.

It actually can be used off tripod becuase the ring light is so light weight and has a handle for stability. I have an extention cable for the Porty/Mini which allows a lot of mobility hand held while shooting on location ... and the Strobe wizard lets me power the light up or down without returnig to the generator box ... reallly swift shooting with this set up.

Can't wait to use it :thumbup:

http://www.henselusa.com/octa_sun.html

Last edited:

LJL

Marc,
Quite an interesting rig. Looks like a cross between a typical octo and a gigantic beauty dish of sorts. (Rings lights are a lot more versatile than they look at first blush.) The thought that this is sort of hand holdable (just the ring flash unit) makes this a bit more attractive in some respects compared to others. The other part that seems interesting is that you can control output from the small controller on the camera, thus making on the fly adjustments a whole lot easier. (In the set-up you have pictured, making the adjustment at the pack would be simple also, but once you get mobile, things change quickly.)

I guess my only caveat with this is that the photog is a bit blind to the subject while composing (aside from LV or looking through the VF).

Is it easy to detach the camera/ring flash from the surrounding octo, or is this a more deliberate type of arrangement? Along those lines, is it possible to leave the ring flash with octo set up without the camera as one would a normal head and box? Just thinking about being able to detach things to shoot a different angle while leaving the light set-up as is.

Sorry for all the questions. This does look like a very interesting device. Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts on this one, as does look like it could provide some very nice lighting without some of the normal set-up hassles of other boxes and stuff.

LJ

P.S. Thanks, Guy, for posting this in the Lighting Forum also. Good place to generate more discussion on use and stuff, versus the sales channel only. The rest of the thread is still there so Sharon does not lose the corporate sales link connections after some of us sort of hijacked things with other gear discussion ;-) Great job on keeping the forum the best for everybody.

fotografz

Marc,
Quite an interesting rig. Looks like a cross between a typical octo and a gigantic beauty dish of sorts. (Rings lights are a lot more versatile than they look at first blush.) The thought that this is sort of hand holdable (just the ring flash unit) makes this a bit more attractive in some respects compared to others. The other part that seems interesting is that you can control output from the small controller on the camera, thus making on the fly adjustments a whole lot easier. (In the set-up you have pictured, making the adjustment at the pack would be simple also, but once you get mobile, things change quickly.)

I guess my only caveat with this is that the photog is a bit blind to the subject while composing (aside from LV or looking through the VF).

Is it easy to detach the camera/ring flash from the surrounding octo, or is this a more deliberate type of arrangement? Along those lines, is it possible to leave the ring flash with octo set up without the camera as one would a normal head and box? Just thinking about being able to detach things to shoot a different angle while leaving the light set-up as is.

Sorry for all the questions. This does look like a very interesting device. Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts on this one, as does look like it could provide some very nice lighting without some of the normal set-up hassles of other boxes and stuff.

LJ

P.S. Thanks, Guy, for posting this in the Lighting Forum also. Good place to generate more discussion on use and stuff, versus the sales channel only. The rest of the thread is still there so Sharon does not lose the corporate sales link connections after some of us sort of hijacked things with other gear discussion ;-) Great job on keeping the forum the best for everybody.
LJ, no problem extracting the camera and using the light as you would any strobe head/softbox connected to a generator box ... the camera is mounted as normal to a platform with a standard tripod mount that's attached to the ringlight. That platform is what you attach the rig to a stand or tripod ... or you can stay mobile by handholding ... which is really great for moving fashion stuff ... the extension cord is nice because you can place the Porty or Mini at a distance so you don't stumble over it while moving with the model ... That's where the on-camera radio adjustments really come in handy so you don't have to go to the box every time you want to dial up or down the levels.

I was just trying the rig using a H/C 120 Macro, so the stock cord was fine ... makes for a nifty shadowless macro light ... and I have a lot of experimenting to do yet. I also use a ring light for bottom lighting under translucent milk glass because it lays flat and low on the ground without needing a stand ... in theory, I could even use this soft box under my shooting table.

With both diffusers in place this acts pretty much like a regular soft box, and could easily be used for product work also.

Yes, when the camera is mounted inside the ringlight you have to compose through the viewfinder, or use live view for cameras with that feature.

Guy Mancuso

That looks pretty darn cool. My only issue that I see is your subject can't see you but that may not be that all important with some things. Fashion and Portraits maybe tough since most times your showing them what to do.