The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"master brush" concentric light mod for Mola Demi

faneuil

Forever the light tweaker.. I was reading about Westcott's Master Brush (which BTW doesn't seem to be available anywhere!)
Got me to thinking about mod'ing a nylon sock for my Mola Demi.

Idea: Leaving a small center region untouched, paint or thick Sharpie on concentric circles outward to center, spacing them larger as I move in.
Goal: Achieve tight center spot with feathered fall off.

Use: Chiaroscuro effect, or soft hollywood look.

anyone done this or have better idea to achieve gradient filtering of the light?
Thought about using multiple layers of misted spray paint to achieve same thing.

Eric

fotografz

Hey, guess what ... I just looked at my Mola Beamm and the center bracket holding the white milk glass diffusing reflector in front of the light is exactly 7' ... the bracket's holder flanges may have to be modified slightly to accommodate a thicker Grid, but it most certainly will work.

Mola already makes a thing called Pad Diffuser ... but it's not a grid.

I think my Mola came with a second center bracket ... I'll have to dig it up and see if this idea would work.

In the meantime, I'll just tape it in place to see what effect it has, and get back to you ... :)

-Marc

Last edited:

fotografz

Okay tried it by just taping the grid in place.

There is some difference, but since I did not disassemble the center holder to remove the white milk glass diffuser, it probably isn't as dramatic as it could be with just a grid in front of the light. The milk glass is probably still reflecting too much light back into the dish.

Also, maybe a 5º or even 3º grid would be better for a more dramatic fall-off.

-Marc

(Click on image for bigger view).

faneuil

thanks for ideas and images. Thought about gridding it.

This morning took a can of spray paint *carefully* to my nylon demi diffuser.
Put a 7 in circle of foam core at middle to mask the center area.
Working slowly, I built up layers going from solid black along outer edge to about 40% at edge of center white circle.
Drying now and will post results soon.

Biggest fear: the paint would dissolve and melt the diffuser. It didn't!

Eric

symbolphoto

Eric,

Sounds interesting. I've purchased grids for my Mole Euro and soon your Setti. The grids are really well made from Honeygrids. Highly recommended.

faneuil

thanks - hope that Setti is working out. It is a beast compared to the Demi.

Of course you miss what you don't have. For some reason I was cruising the Mola site today for a Euro or even a Mantti. Why? I can't rightly say..

faneuil

ehhh.. results not so great with painted diffuser. will try more tests.
anywhoo.. ordered the honey grid!

peace to all

Eric