The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto D4 r2400

aztwang

I am looking at purchasing a Profoto D4 r2400 pak. This does have radio, for pocket wizard but not Profotos "Air" system. I remember someone saying you can convert the D4 R series packs to include the "Air" system.
Is anyone aware if infact this is possible, and if so are there any other differences between a D4Air pack and a R pack?

Dustbak

Yes, this is possible. I have had Profoto convert my D4R to a D4Air. It cost me 340euros (ex VAT).

The difference is that the R does only Pocketwizard and the AIR does AIR. You have to realize you will loose the ability to use the software via USB when you convert to AIR. This means you can no longer use Profoto Studio AIR software. No matter what Profoto tells you or their website this does not work!

You can use Profoto Studio 3, their so-called new software with an AIR USB dongle. This software works but in my opinion it is CRAP and more like an engineering prototype than a released product. Profoto needs to be doing some serious work on their software.

All in all, I am very happy with the conversion. I just had to buy an Acute2 and am disappointed this does not come yet with the AIR system.

fotografz

I have two D42400Rs ... when I swapped over to AIR radio with some D1 monos and the Hensel Porty 1200L that also features AIR radio, I just got the less expensive AIR receivers for the D4s, so I could also keep the Pocket Wizard R as back-up ... which is also compatible with the new Pocket Wizard -IIIs just announced.

This usually works for me because I'm rarely far from the packs for levels adjustment, and frankly, it's faster to adjust each head at the pack than fussing with channels. But I don't use these outside of the studio very often ... I use battery units like the Hensel.

Heck, I actually don't know how an D4R to AIR conversion works anyway ... does it even allow full control of each attached head at the camera, or is it just a trigger?

I don't think any of the Acute packs can ever have levels control ... just AIR triggers. They are analog boxes with rocker switches and dials as opposed to digital controls. Just like the Acute 600B AIR ... just a radio trigger, no levels control :thumbdown:

Nothing is ever perfect is it?

Well, with enough money you can get close to perfect ... Profoto Pro-8a 2400 for a mere $12,000 and a nice Pro-B3 AIR with Pocket Wizard @ $7,300 :eek:

What is really interesting is that Hensel is ahead of Profoto in utilizing Profoto's own AIR radio system :wtf: The Porty has AIR w/full control (as well as their own Strobe Wizard and Free mask), their Expert monos are now AIR, and their "affordable" little Nova D 1200 and 2400 packs also have all three radio receivers built in.

-Marc

Dustbak

The D4Air can be fully controlled remotely. Each head independantly. The advanced functions eg. repeat you need to do from the pack. (this was possible via USB cable and Profoto AIR studio software!).

Even an AIR trigger in the Acute2 would have made me very happy....

I am looking at the Pro8's but indeed a hefty chunk of cash... I first need to get over having forked out the cash for the Giant240 (along with the sticklight, extra support stands, etc..).

fotografz

The D4Air can be fully controlled remotely. Each head independantly. The advanced functions eg. repeat you need to do from the pack. (this was possible via USB cable and Profoto AIR studio software!).

Even an AIR trigger in the Acute2 would have made me very happy....

I am looking at the Pro8's but indeed a hefty chunk of cash... I first need to get over having forked out the cash for the Giant240 (along with the sticklight, extra support stands, etc..).
Thanx.

The Pro 8s will have to wait a long time for me ... All my heads are Acute2/D4s including a twin (all except the stick light). I'd have to get the Pro heads also which are a pretty penny themselves. Probably should have ponied up for the Pro heads in the first place since they work on the D4s ... but at the time I also had a couple of Acute packs and 600B ... and the pro heads wouldn't work on those.

Like I said, nothing is ever perfect.

I gotta tell you, I am very impressed with this Porty 1200L.

-Marc

aztwang

Yes, this is possible. I have had Profoto convert my D4R to a D4Air. It cost me 340euros (ex VAT).

The difference is that the R does only Pocketwizard and the AIR does AIR. You have to realize you will loose the ability to use the software via USB when you convert to AIR. This means you can no longer use Profoto Studio AIR software. No matter what Profoto tells you or their website this does not work!

You can use Profoto Studio 3, their so-called new software with an AIR USB dongle. This software works but in my opinion it is CRAP and more like an engineering prototype than a released product. Profoto needs to be doing some serious work on their software.

All in all, I am very happy with the conversion. I just had to buy an Acute2 and am disappointed this does not come yet with the AIR system.
Guess I'm behind the times. I have never used this software. Exactly how does it work? Currently I use my 7 d1 Airs and the transceiver on my camera . Is there a more efficient way to control the lights? I'm aware of the Studio 3 software that works thru the USB dongle but yes, system seems incomplete/ unfinished.

Dustbak

I originally came from Elinchrom. The skyport software on the RX lights is really nice. Naturally I wanted the same thing for my Profotolights.

Basically you stick the USB dongle in your computer, start the software and control your lights. You can also save and load configurations.

Since I invariably work tethered in the studio there is always already a computer running that is attached to a camera system. Controlling the lights from this same station comes in handy. You can do this with the USB dongle and the D1 airs too.

The Profoto system really is a work in progress. Profoto should have a look on how Elinchrom has done this...

postman

I have been searching MacGroup's website for information on getting a pack converted. But I can't find it. Any chance one of you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

aztwang

I have been searching MacGroup's website for information on getting a pack converted. But I can't find it. Any chance one of you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Call Macgroup ask for Gary in Technical service, he can answer your questions and will transfer you to service. The cost I believe is around 450. I love mine to death.

fotografz

Call Macgroup ask for Gary in Technical service, he can answer your questions and will transfer you to service. The cost I believe is around 450. I love mine to death.
Thanks, I need to send in one of my D4 2400 Packs anyway ... one outlet stopped working and I don't know if it inadvertently got shut off (which apparently you can do), or if it needs repair.

So, I'll convert it to AIR while it is there.

-Marc

MattBSC

I have an old D4 pack and I'm just now learning that they can be upgraded to Air.
What is this "Macgroup" place? The website I found doesn't seem to be a place that would deal with Profoto upgrades.

Can you and/or anyone else recommend any other companies to service the D4?
Profoto says between $450-$1600 so I'd like a possible 2nd option.
Thanks.

MacGroup used to be the US Distributor of Profoto and they would handle the repairs. I got mine done through them several years ago and I think it was around the $450-$500 range. I don't remember exactly. It works great though. I don't know why they would give you that big of a price range. I would ask for a manager or a higher up and get a firm price. It does remove the pocket wizard functionality. But well worth it in my opinion.