The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Now using Eli Mods on Hensel Strobes!

fotografz

Thanks to Jerry Kacey at Kacey Enterprises,

Kacey Enterprises » Kacey/Eli Adapter

I now have a couple of Elinchrom to Hensel mount Adapters. Really built well, the Elinchrom side is a more secure mount than the original Elinchrom configuration, but it's a wee bit harder to attach when the modifier ring is free spinning. Don't care, more secure is more important to me.

Now I can use Eli Mods including a lot of Rotaluxes including the delicious 39" Deep 0cta ... and my Giant 7' and gobo box on all three of the lighting systems I use ... Profoto D1s, D4s, Hensel Porty and Mini 1200, Elinchrom Quadra.

Now to figure out how to get Profoto Mods onto the Porty heads, and I'll be all set. Shouldn't be terribly hard to make happen once you get into it.

-Marc

rem

Marc, that sounds great, you are my hero!;-) But I do not understand exactly, I see nothing about Hensel... Elinchrom with Alien Bees, Speedo...
Thanks Marc! rem

fotografz

Marc, that sounds great, you are my hero!;-) But I do not understand exactly, I see nothing about Hensel... Elinchrom with Alien Bees, Speedo...
Thanks Marc! rem
Kacey says to contact them and indicate what mount you need. I did, and they provided a quote for 2 of their Eli adapters with Hensel inserts bolted on. I bought two and they ordered the inserts, assembled the adapters and shipped them complete to me.

(click the pic below for larger view)

-Marc

Kirk Candlish

Now I can use Eli Mods including a lot of Rotaluxes including the delicious 39" Deep 0cta ... and my Giant 7' and gobo box on all three of the lighting systems I use ... Profoto D1s, D4s, Hensel Porty and Mini 1200, Elinchrom Quadra.
With Hensel gaining market share in the U.S. it seems a natural that mount adapters would be introduced. Hopefully that'll happen so you don't need to purchase custom built adapters.

rem

Thank you Marc, also for the picture! I will write theme. Is the soft-box more away from the head (adapter between), do you see any negative influence?
rem

rem

You are right Kirk, but I find the price for a custom build with 84USD very okay! OK, the 59USD for shipping to Switzerland is another story;-)

fotografz

Thank you Marc, also for the picture! I will write theme. Is the soft-box more away from the head (adapter between), do you see any negative influence?
rem
Actually, if you look at their website they show the adapter part alone which is fairly thin @ 1/2" ... so it doesn't add much to the over-all thickness protruding from the insert that would be there even with a proprietary speed-ring.

Not only that, the materials used are VERY industrial ... I did notice that a couple of the bolts securing the insert ring to the adapter needed to be tightened down after I took this photo ... and now it is snug as a bug.

-Marc

fotografz

With Hensel gaining market share in the U.S. it seems a natural that mount adapters would be introduced. Hopefully that'll happen so you don't need to purchase custom built adapters.
I think I'd prefer these anyway ... I can remove the Hensel insert and put any insert in place ... which opens up an even broader array of modifier choices.

In fact, If I didn't already have a bunch of Elinchrom to Profoto adapters made by Elinchrom, I'd get these instead ... I think they are more secure, and they can be changed to a different mount where the Eli dedicated one can't.

-Marc