The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

polarizers

jlm

Workshop Member
i use two 3' x 4' profoto softboxes, acute heads, to light paintings,
aimed to reduce reflections back to the camera. most of the work is 3' x 4' or smaller

would like to try crossed polarizers, but not sure how to do this on the soft boxes? or maybe direct light, just in front of the bulbs?

also..what is the practical difference circular and linear polarizing?

tnx

MMPhoto

I do a lots of copy work and I use two regular reflectors at 45 degree from camera axe line. Each head as a diffuser plus a polarizer on top.

I use Lee filters sheet, cut down to 10" x 10" size, I never saw those sheets in 36'x 48" sheets.

Here is the link to Lee Filters.

LEE Filters - Masters of light

Greg Lockrey

I use Rosco Polarizing film that come in 20" x 10' sheets that I cut down to 20x32" mounted in front of a pair of 1000w Lowel Tota's each side. You can get it at B&H for around $100.00. You could buy enough to cover your soft box interior. Circular Polarizers are designed for aiding the autofocus on digital cameras. Linear polarizers affects autofocus on most automatic cameras.

jlm

Workshop Member
basic question getting even lighting:

painting is 6' x 6', lit by two 3' x 4' profoto soft boxes, heads about 7-8' from center of painting and angled to reduce hard reflection to camera and to try to get moer light on the center compared to the sides. I'm still getting the sides too hot. do i just keep moving the lights farther away?