The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on Fog Machine

fotografz

I'm doing a LOT more concept portrait photography, including early AM shots of themed vanity subjects in the forest areas surrounding my home ... I'd like to use a fog machine for some of these shots ... but do it at will rather than having to rent one.

The pricing of these varies greatly, and I'm seeking any experiences you folks may have had on a reliable machine that can put out a decent amount of fog, keeping in mind that it's not for heavy duty applications every day, just occasionally.

Here is the B&H page:

https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=smoke+machines&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

I'm thinking this one will do the job:

American DJ Mister Kool Low-Lying Fog Machine MISTER KOOL B&H

Thoughts or experiences?

-Marc

downstairs

I rent one of the Rosco machines about twice a year to get some arial perspective and to remove clutter. But I use it indoors and the fog is certified 'healthy' for opera singers.
It sets off factory smoke alarms though. The low-lying fog machine sound interesting for mist out of doors. Problem is usually dispersion of fog in front of the lens which wastes a lot time.

fotografz

Thanks,

Yeah, the low lying feature caught my eye also ... it is exactly what I want.

I think I'll get it and try it on the next concept portrait I'm doing next month.

Marc

fotografz

Up Date.

Plugged in the new Fog Machine the day before my shoot. Followed the instructions to a T. It put out a puff of Fog and then promptly burned up the plastic tube feeding the juice to the pump. Tried to fix it by replacing the tube, no love.

Product is a piece of crap.

Worse yet, I had exceeded the 14 day return policy of B&H because I bought it before leaving on vacation so it'd be there for the shoot when I got back.

Now I have to deal with the company directly, but I'm sure my "tampering" with it in a frantic effort to have it for the shoot the next day will void the warranty.

Waste of time and money.

I'd have rented one, but there aren't any in my area.

-Marc

symbolphoto

Rosco a9000 is a solid product. You need a generator with it out doors though. My Tronix Explorer trips when trying to power it. But solid product.

johnnygoesdigital

I've used Rosco for several movie shoots and highly recommend them too. The A900 with its 30 ' remote should be good for your application. Here's a link to a Rosco dealer that sells it for $40 less than B&H.

neelin

FWIW this style of propane insect fogger works with fog juice (essentially propylene glycol). No remotes so requires "operator attention" and uses a propane torch (open flame), but if you've got one for home/garden, cleaned of insect fogging juice, it will work fine.

Rittenhouse | Propane Insect Fogger

Robert

MichaelS

The insect fogger looks interesting.

I ended up getting 2 fog machines, one cheap DJ one that worked well enough indoors if there wasn't much ventilation but broke easily if it was pushed and one serious machine that I got from Peasoup out of the UK ( Smoke Machines - Oil and water based ). Higher price, better build quality and puts out incredible volumes of smoke. Great experience with the company too as I live in Canada and had it shipped plus emailed them some questions after my purchase.

In regard to the low lying fog, I read about DIY low level fog kits to attach to a regular fog machine. They are just a Styrofoam cooler with dry-ice or regular ice that you pass the fog through as it comes out of the machine in order to cool it and get get it to lay low. I have yet to build or test it out.

N

nevinlee

I use rosco machines thrice a year to get some arial experience and get rid of the mess.It should be used indoors.problem is usually dispersion of fog which hides the lenses.