Site Sponsors

Thread: Bronze statues

Post Thanks / Like

Bronze statues

I am trying to light a dark bronze trophy mounted on a wood base. Place trophy on a shooting table lit from below with a D1000. Dominant light is rear left of camera with diffuser in the grid holder, weaker light is right rear of camera with telezoom reflector giving a hard light.

I get lots of specular highlights so tried the crossed polarizers I use with stone. Didn't know if it would work with this metal finish but I am sure it is some kind of chemical treatment so why not? In fact, the specular highlights appear to be cut more than the rest of the surface. However, now the bronze looses detail and it becomes hard to see inscriptions and the like. Any general advice for this type of subject? Diffuse tent?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Bronze statues

You need larger light sources ... smaller sources like your diffuser in the grid holder remain small even if somewhat diffused, and produce small specular reflections ... like in a portrait where small sources produce a pin spot reflection in the eye even if diffused, rather than a curved window like reflection from a large soft-box close to the subject.

Broad wrap-around light and diffused light are two different things.

If you do not have a soft-box you can simulate a broader source to some degree with large panels of white foam-core and bounce the light into it. Use black foam-core or card stock as flags to keep the light from hitting where you don't want it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bronze statues

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    You need larger light sources ... smaller sources like your diffuser in the grid holder remain small even if somewhat diffused, and produce small specular reflections ... like in a portrait where small sources produce a pin spot reflection in the eye even if diffused, rather than a curved window like reflection from a large soft-box close to the subject.

Broad wrap-around light and diffused light are two different things.

If you do not have a soft-box you can simulate a broader source to some degree with large panels of white foam-core and bounce the light into it. Use black foam-core or card stock as flags to keep the light from hitting where you don't want it.

-Marc
    Thanks Marc. Great advice. I do have soft boxes and will try them next. Today I moved the shooting table to the big hard box (outside) and that did the trick. As you said, the large source really tamed the speculars.

I shoot a lot of aluminum but this was my first experience with a treated bronzy material. It's a silly thing to take so much care with, but as an exercise it's been useful.

Peter